h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

:whistling:

EDIT aw the way oot tae FI tae.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

You guys in the east are in for a pumpin from snaw! Hopefully it makes it way through the central belt :D

CBEE2DF8-1DAA-4EC1-9253-D069A8B71068.thumb.png.d33588bfafb2a29504583d14a0f95a4f.png

A126297B-35A4-407A-BF76-F7AE30FAC3B3.thumb.png.a634e479620837b7d23245a598d3d6f3.png

43FAF8A0-E905-4D02-8135-E590DBA3D0AA.thumb.png.b5577ce2bd91a1733636a81bc23c77ff.png

• Like 9

Posted

The 12z charts look awesome for the East of Scotland, stretching though to Glasgow with possible Forth Clyde streamers,,,,looking very snowy fingers crossed they stay like this ?

still a long way off in weather terms though good to be optimistic 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

12_204_ukthickness.png.7f08ac71780e026b5

Aye, I’d be hopeful of seeing a dusting of graupel if that came off. :D

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There is loads of snow still even at moderate altitude round here, even one of the snow piles at the end of our road is surviving well.

It may well just be coincidence but for the first time in my life I saw five (Roe) deer together yesterday. I often see two or three but never five. It's been a weird winter in as much as we haven't had a proper weeks long deep freeze but it does seem to have been cold and very icy on a consistent basis. It's a whopping 8C today and I am roasted, heating's off, back door open....

Huge flock of starlings on the farm today a lot of animals group up at this time of year in their hunt for food as one of the group may know of a good source and lead the rest there. All animals become less shy when hunger takes over and roe deer usually spend most of their time feeding in woods for cover but woodland grazing wiil be exhausted by now so will be seen more often in the open now for the  next 4 or 5 weeks. If this real cold weather materialises then pigeons and roe deer will make their way to the neep field to feed on the tops especially if we get deep  snow.  With all the frost this winter there is very little green grass left so even coming out in the open to graze will not provide a lot of nutrition.

Another observation is that it looks like it will be at least mid April before we see flowering daffodils and if the spring is cold then they may last well into  May.or at least untill the first real warmth arrives.

• Like 9

Posted

Interesting thing is that although it feels like it’s been a cold winter for many in Scotland and there have certainly been some notable snowfalls, temperatures have been very close to average overall. December was slightly above the long term average in most places with January either side (but not by much, either way). So far February has been below average but again the anomalies are not huge, less than a degree in most places (though that will change if there’s a cold end to the month).

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

I’d need to look into the figures in more detail but at a guess I say it was down to there being longish periods of colder than average (but not very cold) weather interspersed with short-lived but very mild spells...

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Well with crunch time drawing closer on this easterly, it's only fitting to post the benchmark from November/December 2010. A truly unforgettable spell with a perfect forth-Clyde streamer delivering here for a number of days. By the end of week 1, the level depth in my garden was waist deep.... and then a few days later came 'that' Monday of M8 chaos. 

IMG_8240.PNG

IMG_8241.PNG

IMG_8242.PNG

Yes I am also of the opinion that we may well look back on March 2018 as the eqivalent of December 2010 with the cold reloading from the north and east and as I always feel that March is a winter month on the farm we may  have snow to look at as well. At least it will be cleaner than the mud we have today.

• Like 3

Posted

Trying really hard not to ramp but I did spot a bit of an improvement on the latest ECM op run compared to yesterday evening and this mornings run !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There is loads of snow still even at moderate altitude round here, even one of the snow piles at the end of our road is surviving well.

It may well just be coincidence but for the first time in my life I saw five (Roe) deer together yesterday. I often see two or three but never five. It's been a weird winter in as much as we haven't had a proper weeks long deep freeze but it does seem to have been cold and very icy on a consistent basis. It's a whopping 8C today and I am roasted, heating's off, back door open....

Totally agree with that - it's the weird stealth cauld winter of 2017-18. The truly mild (as in double digit) days have only been seen in sporadic clusters here, and barely at all at that. 

And the NWP charts are edging ever closer to the reliable and a wintry 80s throwback. Bit like this guy. 

Shakin' Stevens __ Merry Christmas Everyone.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm trying so hard not to check charts, comment on charts, dream about charts :whistling:

Already dreading looking at models in the morning.?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm trying so hard not to check charts, comment on charts, dream about charts :whistling:

You ARE going away to work next week AREN'T YOU?

The car eventually said 9C today, and there I was with a long-sleeved warm shirt, 2 fleeces and my winter coat. It's good I didn't have to share my space with anyone when the coat came off. Forecast looks similar for the next couple of days so that's going to stuff the snow cover good and proper. Then we'll get the dry cold...

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

You ARE going away to work next week AREN'T YOU?

I know, me and @101_North should go on a road trip together next week. Edinburgh and Dundee would grind to a halt with record-breaking snowfalls. :D

• Like 1

Posted

About time we got in on the act here.  Nov/Dec 2010 was snowmageddon here from two spells.  First 24 Nov to about 7 Dec dumped 40cm.  Then a week were it melted and returned just as bad!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
8 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

this might even be cold enough for snaw in embra :-)

IMG_1625.PNG.edc3dfc07bf87c4bbcd0e2d29fb

Absolutely. From recent-ish experience (winter 2010/11 and parts of 2009/10) we all know that's more than sufficient.  -8 850's or colder will do the trick here. Need an ENE flow for the jackpot, we don't want Fifers and folk from Berwickshire stealing our snaw !

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 2

Posted

Remembering snowy late winter/early spring spells...

March 2006, March 2008 and March 2013 were all snowy here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lRJldrUKaDs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
16 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Next week by tonight's ECM

FB_IMG_1519073032183.thumb.jpg.1103bdfd150b2107c8dcd5876d9c1727.jpg

Lol. Scorched penguin, Newky brown and golden virgin. They should be so lucky.