Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

The 00z GFS and now the 06z GFS show high pressure building towards Greenland around 7 days from now which is a great sign, the ECM however has other ideas.

If the GFS came off then I am sure we would see the return of @More Snow :D

gfs-16-336.thumb.png.df8b6b5673a598f3f6ff775e567e401b.png

If some of the recent GFS charts come off well need to organise helicopter food drops to @More Snow and his family. 

Edit: Heavy light snow on now, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Treacherous on m74 right now.....

20180214_112504.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Some very strong gusts this morning with considerable wind chill at 2c .Odd flurries in the wind but blue skies have just appeared to the west so maybe wind will drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Suspecting it may be rain - but i dont know  - in Perth itself? Any Perth folk confirm? But here at my work just outside Scone its a whiteout and a good couple of cm's already - which makes looking out the window more fun! 

Posted

Current heavy snow.  Settling. It's starting to fill up the satellite dish, causing intermittent crashes in the TV signal, which may not be a bad thing while Boris is in full swing. :shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
12 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Suspecting it may be rain - but i dont know  - in Perth itself? Any Perth folk confirm? But here at my work just outside Scone its a whiteout and a good couple of cm's already - which makes looking out the window more fun! 

It's snowing and lying to the West of Dundee right down to the river so may be in Perth too. The question is can it get across the city to Broughty Ferry for Mr Hawes? @hawesy

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

looking down into the town rooftops and South Inch are nice and white.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Norrance said:

It's snowing and lying to the West of Dundee right down to the river so may be in Perth too. The question is can it get across the city to Broughty Ferry for Mr Hawes? @hawesy

Not sure about the Ferry because I'm at work in St Andrews. It's snowing here too with a very light covering on grassy surfaces. I think it's only the third time I've seen falling snow this winter! :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Yey for Hawsey! Hopefully the Ferry is also rocking some of the white stuff! 

Good news about Perth too! :friends:

Posted
26 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Yey for Hawsey! Hopefully the Ferry is also rocking some of the white stuff! 

Good news about Perth too! :friends:

The excitement is over. Rain now in St Andrews. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

slushy deposit at home but seen some cracking showers from the office window today..... could do with another fall which produces enough for sledging fun one evening.. fingers crossed the SSW produces.... the amateur experts say definitely yes or definitely no 

• Like 3

Posted

Just been out in the car and there seemed to be a lot of lightning out over the hills to the west and sure enough looking at the radar  just now there seems to be a squall line with multiple lightning strikes. Quite spectacular at night .Currently very windy and 2c

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just been out in the car and there seemed to be a lot of lightning out over the hills to the west and sure enough looking at the radar  just now there seems to be a squall line with multiple lightning strikes. Quite spectacular at night .Currently very windy and 2c

The first thundersnow I remember was when we came to Scotland in 1961/62 and were staying on the coast near Portessie. I think it was around New Year and I was looking up out of a skylight window at falling snow and flashes of lightning in a strong north wind which gave snow right down on the beach the next day and blocked the coast road 200 metres from the sea.Had to wait till December 2010 before I saw it again to our south over the Cairngorms .Now here we are again tonight just eight years later and there is more over the mountains to the west.What used to be rare seems to happening with a bit more frequency these days.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

The first thundersnow I remember was when we came to Scotland in 1961/62 and were staying on the coast near Portessie. I think it was around New Year and I was looking up out of a skylight window at falling snow and flashes of lightning in a strong north wind which gave snow right down on the beach the next day and blocked the coast road 200 metres from the sea.Had to wait till December 2010 before I saw it again to our south over the Cairngorms .Now here we are again tonight just eight years later and there is more over the mountains to the west.What used to be rare seems to happening with a bit more frequency these days.

I remember that event well.  It seemed right overhead - the effect was quite menacing!

Incidentally, today's 2hrs worth of snow is the most that has fallen here since then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Was down in Glasvegas today. Squally showers there this arvo but nothing lying. Returned up the road this evening and Crieff and Comrie appear to have landed in the snawzone today. Looks like we had a decent wee fall here (enough for sledging, etc).  Thawing now - sort of - but the roads were pretty skitey. And to top it all saw a couple of flashes of lightning to the N & NW just after 9pm this evening. This winter just keeps on giving - and it looks like the Candlemas 'forecast' is gonna be on the money this year. Cauld start to 'spring' anyone? 

• Like 4

Posted

Some real February weather here today by the sounds, high winds and some heavy snow for periods, returned home from work to some impressive drifting, more so for people in more exposed parts down the glen. Sleetier around tea time, very raw breeze again now at zero

• Like 1

Posted

Still looking interesting for tomorrow afternoon/evening around this neck of the woods: 

IMG_8169.thumb.PNG.102d14b0078119e8a917a6959c7a803f.PNG

IMG_8170.thumb.PNG.21fc7f52e0b16cbc3f824387bebf69e8.PNG

IMG_8171.thumb.PNG.7f29eb49ebb130d1d4eab2ef1a17a61d.PNG

IMG_8168.thumb.PNG.142d8c61520210358ed183c3af60ede6.PNG

the accumulation totals for parts of the western highlands look ridiculous by midnight tomorrow. Some parts could be looking at over 40cm, getting on for half a meter ?

The glencoe ski resort will still be open for business by August at this rate, currently 2 meters of snow on their upper slopes at the moment with 30-50cm tomorrow into Friday. Imagine a freezing snowy march on top of that if we get favourable Synoptics from the ssw

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Posted

Heavy snow shower pelting down at the minute! Starting to settle but will be brief according to radar. Wasn't expecting to see falling snow this morning!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Show off. 3C and not even a flake of frost here. 

I'll raise you 1C and bone dry.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
33 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Show off. 3C and not even a flake of frost here. 

I may have to start lying in my reports Catch as it's feeling particularly repetitive this winter "14c and almost spring-like today, considering mowing the lawn" ?

Check out the Achnasheen forecast, looks lots of fun 

IMG_7084.thumb.PNG.09064dbdeb1f875c7ea46bd396cac5f6.PNG

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

The pavements round here are death traps this morning! The earlier snow shower wet the surfaces and it's turned to sheet ice in places. On my weeble and not for the first time this winter:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

It’s great to see the Highlands getting plenty of snow, I am looking forward to going skiing in July :D

The models keep changing from cold snowy easterlies to warm spring like conditions. I think it will be a few more days before we will know if this SSW will deliver anything cold before winter has finished. The models are really struggling to cope with this SSW but I do think we will see something decent as we head into March. The toys are out the pram as you would expect in the MOD thread :nonono::D

• Like 4