Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Went down to the harbour in the last shower on some pretext or other (vis Capt Oates NOT) and both of us looked like snowmen (ahem snowpeople if you don't mind) after 5 mins. Settling a bit now so there's no excuse for anywhere not to have snow (prob except @Ravelin and @Hawesy and thereabouts).

Ha, got a few flakes falling here now, but by the looks the radar the blob is breaking up so not likely to be much more than that. Need more, stronger, blobs!

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, igloo said:

Constent snaw on and of here for the past 2 hours after last nights falls and todays stuff the total so far is 4 inches give a take a mm temps have also droped to -1.3c its a winter wonderland up here not sure what the totals will be tommorrow morning if this keeps up over a foot maybe 

25cm hopefully 

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

First heavy snow shower of the day blowing through here - tiny dusting but hopefully the start of many to come through tonight and tomorow morning. 

0DD83710-5DEE-4330-8B0A-A8CC75A0856D.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ok... so what is a good direction for the snow-starved south-easterners - (if you'll forgive me for that horrible lumping collective) is it north-east, a straight east, or south-east, all other conditions being equal, which they never will be...?

Posted

I remember in Leith, the premium set-up was an ENE'ly with at least -8°C uppers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Just let the cat out, I didn’t expect to see this. Checked the radar, it’s a shame it won’t last long.

DB1CFD78-4EBE-44C6-87F3-ACA8C07DA763.thumb.jpeg.e24f314fbade3d9d2e2f5d33b26e22a7.jpeg

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 9

Posted
17 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ok... so what is a good direction for the snow-starved south-easterners - (if you'll forgive me for that horrible lumping collective) is it north-east, a straight east, or south-east, all other conditions being equal, which they never will be...?

North Easterly 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, igloo said:

Constent snaw on and of here for the past 2 hours after last nights falls and todays stuff the total so far is 4 inches give a take a mm temps have also droped to -1.3c its a winter wonderland up here not sure what the totals will be tommorrow morning if this keeps up over a foot maybe 

Sounds awesome, plenty pics man! if someone is getting buried tonight we can at least live it vicariously?

Back from inverness, wee covering down there and some beefy showers. Cover building better back here but nowt special yet -2.2c

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Honestly @Hairy Celt it really doesn’t matter. We could be on the cusp of the next ice age and I still wouldn’t see any snow. :D

Seriously though (and I can really only speak about Crail, which is at the extreme end of snowlessness even by SE Scotland coastal standards) forget about easterlies and in particular southeasterlies unless they are accompanied by January 1987 style uppers (i.e. about -15c 850s).

North easterlies are the best bet but you need -10 850s for the immediate coast if the wind is off the sea (particularly if it is  strong and there is low level mixing). Graupel features heavily in these set ups, more so than snow in my experience.

I saw three 10cm falls of snow in 11 years of living in Crail. 7 out of those 11 winters featured no measurable snowfalls. Two were from Atlantic fronts bumping into cold air (snow to rain events, but with very little rain) and the other was from showers in a NEly during December 2010. I never recorded more than 11cm of snow on the ground or an air temperature below -6c (rarely below -3c).

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 4

Posted

Liking the look of Tuesday morn

IMG_7014.thumb.PNG.bcd078d1b9701836a4308bbf305ee046.PNG

Ideally christopher blanchett is indicating the size of stick you'll need to measure snow

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

@Hawesy I’m still waiting for my  predicted 5 cm despite the occasional snow(ish) shower ... currently snow lying on car only.... perhaps Tuesday will be the day?

Anyhow...

Hawesy you got to let me know

Will it rain or will it snow?

If you say that it will rain

I'll be ‘ Oh no not again!’

So you got to let me know

You always tease, tease, tease

You're list of guesses always aims to please

One day it's fine and next it's cack 

So if you want me off your back

Well, come on and let me know

Will it rain or will it snow now?

Will it rain or will it snow now?

If it rains there will be trouble

And if I snows then I’ll want double

So Hawesy you gotta let me know

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We woke up to about 3" of solid hard well-frozen snow. Not melted at all and freezing again tonight. Asda home shopping guy moaned like hell at having to come down our wee steep road :sorry:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We woke up to about 3" of solid hard well-frozen snow. Not melted at all and freezing again tonight. Asda home shopping guy moaned like hell at having to come down our wee steep road :sorry:

Mardatha ...Should’ve gone to Iceland:cold::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A few more beefy showers this afternoon, and the cat just came in with white flakes on his coat, so maybe he has a bad case of dandruff! Baltic oot, skies clearing, if that freezes and then we have more snow, it'll be like the dodgems oot there!

• Like 3

Posted

@DR(S)NO I like it :D

Tuesday is no good for me, your 5 cm was predicted for Midnight tomorrow so I’m hoping you wake up to a winter wonderland!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
Just now, Hairy Celt said:

@Polar Gael - snow buntings - brilliant spot! :D

Was well chuffed. First time I'd ever seen them. Braw wee birds. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Northern Strath said:

Liking the look of Tuesday morn

IMG_7014.thumb.PNG.bcd078d1b9701836a4308bbf305ee046.PNG

Ideally christopher blanchett is indicating the size of stick you'll need to measure snow

Hmm as long as that's what he's boasting about :whistling: 

Someone could have said to him, 'Chris, are you sure this is a good idea?'

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
Just now, Polar Gael said:

Was well chuffed. First time I'd ever seen them. Braw wee birds. 

Cool. I've only seen them in the Alps - at about 3000m in July, scavenging by a picnic spot at a col, rather like very nervous chaffinches!

• Like 1