Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Got up this morning a 6am with heavy snaw falling which led to 2inches laying and is still lying yet with no thaw its been some winter up here every week bar one late jan i have had lying snaw more of the same me thinks on saturday night and sunday after the mild blip tommorrow afternoon

• Like 5

Posted

It was a beautiful sunny day, here. Clear sky, calm although chilly out this afternoon – temp was around 4C.

Noticed several skeins of these flying overhead while on the dog walk.  

pf.thumb.jpg.80ac92665566b1c1872c4349d11414c7.jpg

It won’t be long now until they start the return to their summer grounds in Iceland/Greenland etc.

Currently 0C, still cloudless and a nice starry sky.

• Like 8

Posted

Evening Scotland ??????? just bac from a few days on Arran ?anyway what’s the chat on the weather front I can’t make head nor tail in the mod thread I get it’s to be cauld out but that about it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I do love inches. They make sense to me, cms don't. And whatif it really does happen.....

• Like 3

Posted

You're clearly over 25 then M.!

I am the opposite. Feet and inches are bizzare. But then there's Fahrenheit and Celsius.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
27 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Just loving the 12Z ECM's fantastic prognosis for snow depths in 10 days time :D

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/42-w-555-n/snow-depth-in/20180219-1200z.html

That's inches, not centimetres, folks. Pure pie in the sky I know, but nice eye candy :cold-emoji:

ecm 10 day.JPG

That's a crap map.

How about this one us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018020912_240_5207_215.thumb.png.65e06292086d2356b3c94944a4300db3.png :D

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
26 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Just loving the 12Z ECM's fantastic prognosis for snow depths in 10 days time :D

That's inches, not centimetres, folks. Pure pie in the sky I know, but nice eye candy :cold-emoji:

ecm 10 day.JPG

A1E0082C-43B2-48F1-93BA-ADCFA7B89D8E.thumb.jpeg.9415e94269a38e9ad121e2fe83330574.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, moffatross said:

Tchh ! So parochial :p But don't worry, I'll post photos of the snow in Moffat five ninths the way up my 'yard stick' ;-)

Ha. See my edit ^^

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
17 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I am the opposite. Feet and inches are bizzare. But then there's Fahrenheit and Celsius.....

Yessss, just a tad over 25 lol

Posted
9 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I must have a foot in both camps when it comes to feet and inches and Fahrenheit and Celsius. My brain converts all to the the other. Living in California for 3 years between 7 & 10 years old helps as well. I was snow starved but I do remember traveling between LA and San Francisco at Christmas time and my dad pulling off the 101 freeway as we were at a high point with snow. I felt like I was back in Scotland for that brief moment. I’m sure my dad has photos so see if he still has them. 

I will probably give away my age but when I was growing up one of my favourite programmes was ‘Rainbow’. Over the Christmas period we managed to make a loaf of bread that looked like Zippy. Just thought you should all know.

1F5AA0DB-E4F7-4689-B554-1661C924D03A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

i am colourblind so those ECM charts meaning sweet FA to me

.... its actually a bit of a nightmare when things are keyed in colour 

still it has its advantages.... i cant be responsible for sorting out the washing or getting the kids clothes :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Well we are now on snow event number 5

I cannot remember a winter with so many wintry outbreaks. 

Lost count of total depth but must be getting up for 18 inches (45cm). 

One with snow in all months of winter. Really rare. 

• Like 5

Posted

Dear Winter 2017/18,

I am writing to formally complain about the shabby treatment I’ve received at your hands over the last two and a bit months. While you have slowly but steadily (some might say sneakily) charmed the pants off other forum members by dishing out snowfall on a pretty regular and liberal basis (though NE members feel they have been forgotten since December - please sort that out) I’ve received nothing except one pathetic, patchy, wet dusting.

And not just me, I’m writing on behalf of other good folk ( @aggy & @ciel) who you have cruelly chosen to ignore while plying the likes of @Northern Strath and @shuggee with 5 and 10cm falls like they were going out of style. Even @CatchMyDrift has benefitted greatly from your generosity. While I understand that you would provide @101_North with the white stuff just to get him off your back what have I done to be treated so poorly? I’ve been positive and talked you up all winter, I’ve even gone out of my way to specify exactly what amount of love you were going to show to the individual members on this thread and yet still I get the shaft. And don’t give me that coastie bull, because you’ve pulled the finger out for @Hairy Celt @mistyqueen & @snowy owl.

Snow is like wealth, I believe some attempt should be made to distribute it fairly across the nation. You’re not adhering to this principle so I’m calling you out on it. Hell, even Crail got a few cms last week....after being ignored completely by your colleagues Winters 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15 & 2015/16. Between you and me Winter 2016/17 is held in pretty poor regard in these parts and yet even (s)he provided me with 3 fluffy cms last January.

In summary you have 18 days to sort this mess out. I demand to see AT LEAST a cm of snow on the ground here in Broughty Ferry, in Fettercairn and in Irvine or I’ll do nothing but badmouth you to Spring 2018 and your legacy will be tainted forever.

Yours sincerely,

Hawesy

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

And not just me, I’m writing on behalf of other good folk ( @aggy & @ciel)

Nae worries, Hawsey, winter's been kind to me......so far. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Ah Saturdays on the A9.. the ethereal way the morning sun light catches the snow and shimmers on the white, icy fields like a beautiful winter canvass, as white hares dash for cover across the terrain and the spectacle of mini-buses full of football fans parked in lay-bys all having a drunken p+sh in a line, bared ars+d, in to the wind..  can't beat it 

• Like 1

Posted

It looks like Tuesday could deliver the goods for those few members in need of snow. If you look in the short range model discussion forum knocker says a fair amount of snow is possible on Tuesday. The models have been showing this for a few days now so fingers crossed for all you guys who haven’t seen much this winter :)

I really like reading knockers posts in the short range forum, he covers the whole of the UK in great detail.

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
12 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Metric is much more sensible as a measuring system. I use a bizarre hybrid of bits and bobs of everything with no reasoning at all. Rainfall makes more sense in mm but snow only makes sense in inches, I have to multiply it up to cm.

My house has been full metric since French Mrs SS moved in back in 2000. grams, cms, kms... even baby weights are only acceptable in g/kilos.

I still like to sneak in a wee inch or two she's oot ae earshot, especially for snaw. :wink:

So, snaw incoming, eta aroond midnight. Nice.

Currently pish.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Ah Saturdays on the A9.. the ethereal way the morning sun light catches the snow and shimmers on the white, icy fields like a beautiful winter canvass, as white hares dash for cover across the terrain and the spectacle of mini-buses full of football fans parked in lay-bys all having a drunken p+sh in a line, bared ars+d, in to the wind..  can't beat it 

Think I'll keep my eyes on the hares rather than the hairs :blink2:

Posted
7 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

My house has been full metric since French Mrs SS moved in back in 2000. grams, cms, kms... even baby weights are only acceptable in g/kilos.

I still like to sneak in a wee inch or two she's oot ae earshot, especially for snaw. :wink:

So, snaw incoming, eta aroond midnight. Nice.

Currently pish.

Ah but do you still think in mpg, or converted to litres / 100km? That's the last one I can't get my head round...

How're you finding the weatherproofs? I've worn down my fancy summer low profiles and was thinking going the whole hog with some medium profile wide weatherproofs for the Golf... which is what you've done?

Beautiful calm, sunny day here so far and with winds so light I don't expect we'll get the snow forecast for west and inland. I'll go with Euro4 on this occasion.

Posted

The latest Euro 4 looks good..

8C7BDDD2-B596-4844-B559-7D0C5BA8FD7C.thumb.gif.b421e09e3b88f01e4a456040989e20ad.gif

Snow accumulation over the next 48 hours..

1FC98E4F-6240-4D7E-A5BA-451F497C2B6C.thumb.gif.6bc4fab2cb04db39a8d2b73a14f4da59.gif

The met office have updated their warnings for the next couple of days and I expect more warnings for Tuesday soon :)

• Like 5