Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

4 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

It's absolutely F£?@€ng pointless reading it tbh, totally wastes the run up to any decent cold spell. And see that Optimus c**t aswell?! Genuinely considering just not bothering with the forum until there's snow about to hit and just stick to this thread. Plenty info and knowledge to be had in here and plenty to be learned aswell and it's always an interesting read in here, especially in the lead up to the snow events and the night before they hit etc. 

Plus it helps that everyone in here is on the same wavelength unlike that farse! Tomorrow looking relatively uneventful but will an interesting week to come 

couldn't agree more... some massively off topics posts in there tonight but seeing as they are more senior members they get to stay.. but the very second I go in and post its gone straight away... think I might just stay in here in a place I feel welcome and at least I can comment without fear of being shot for it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Stormeh said:

You better stay off the buckfast tonight then or you will be in there posting the snaw potential for Scotland :p

My turn on the pop tonight so look out. n:drunk: 

Nah, I'm too old for that nonsense, time's too short, etc. :crazy:

after some of the treatment tonight I think I might just step away from the entire forum and just go back to looking out the window. I find it utterly disgusting and totally unfair that some seem to get the right to post what they want when they want and they get to scream and shout and slag others off and nothing seems to happen to them, the post never go missing and the mods never seem to do anything about it, yet I have placed 3 post in the mad house thread tonight some of them moaning about others comments all my comments are removed and yet each and every one of them from others is still in there so can only think it must be some sort of favouritism toward senior members or those that pay for this site... well I would like to say good luck to you all my friends its been a pleasure to spend time with you all. so long fair well.

Edited by Guest

Posted

Managed to sneak out for a Friday walk in the Campsies today. Was milder than expected but enough snow to feel pleasingly wintry - mighty drifts up to calf height!  Hopefully the radar station in the pics will be detecting at least some snow this week. I look forward to seeing pics/reports on here but am expecting light snow at best from Tuesday’s front and possibly rain/sleet on Thursday at this low attitude.  Still plenty of time though - you won’t get any winter’s over chat from me!

reuse.php?id=5668839&download=627a6786

reuse.php?id=5668864&download=13e9805a

reuse.php?id=5668827&download=3a778ca6

reuse.php?id=5668873&download=dd4e9349

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
23 minutes ago, More Snow said:

after some of the treatment tonight I think I might just step away from the entire forum and just go back to looking out the window. I find it utterly disgusting and totally unfair that some seem to get the right to post what they want when they want and they get to scream and shout and slag others off and nothing seems to happen to them, the post never go missing and the mods never seem to do anything about it, yet I have placed 3 post in the mad house thread tonight some of them moaning about others comments all my comments are removed and yet each and every one of them from others is still in there so can only think it must be some sort of favouritism toward senior members or those that pay for this site... well I would like to say good luck to you all my friends its been a pleasure to spend time with you all. so long fair well.

Work it out More Snow....

985735D5-D0E4-43EB-92BE-94439462305A.thumb.jpeg.d4d3008640de934c8e3eb579cff363ea.jpeg3A8355B9-7FBC-49FA-926F-D7E98D725B17.thumb.jpeg.d38325faec0a425939cf0e4aad2624d4.jpegC17E4AD6-0044-4E0B-BF5B-4C083861BC76.thumb.png.0d59fa18351897a91c6185b6ccdd0447.pngF07BCB8C-9164-4296-A931-AB5B9BC06A94.thumb.jpeg.0b2ef41d29c0d88c492870971d45c5d7.jpeg

:yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
26 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Place is a joke!

Just stick to this thread mate, friendly folk in here with lots of banter :)

LMFAO @DR(S)NO :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, More Snow said:

That's life mate. Always the same. School. University. Work. Whatever. Different rules for different people. Hey ho. Leave them to it! They are welcome to each other :)

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, More Snow said:

You're always welcome in here - this strange, starry refuge for snow-lovers, where strangers meet as friends with no judgement or prejudice...

• Like 7

Posted
30 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

Managed to sneak out for a Friday walk in the Campsies today. Was milder than expected but enough snow to feel pleasingly wintry - mighty drifts up to calf height!  Hopefully the radar station in the pics will be detecting at least some snow this week. I look forward to seeing pics/reports on here but am expecting light snow at best from Tuesday’s front and possibly rain/sleet on Thursday at this low attitude.  Still plenty of time though - you won’t get any winter’s over chat from me!

reuse.php?id=5668839&download=627a6786

reuse.php?id=5668864&download=13e9805a

reuse.php?id=5668827&download=3a778ca6

reuse.php?id=5668873&download=dd4e9349

What's that big golf ball thingy?

Posted

It’s apparently a weather station housing radar equipment, having been relocated there about 10 years ago when they built a wind farm on the site of the old weather station.

• Like 1

Posted

18z looking good to me for Scotland. Chance of snow anywhere next week starting from Monday night. Cold air coming in from the NW throughout the run with the odd mild blip here and there but staying mostly cold with good snow potential for us :)

Just a few frames showing the potential snow over the next week or so...

6FB4181D-FF5A-4EAE-BCC2-F375B5CD87BA.thumb.png.75adff8159d1ebccc647943f84c4cf29.png

48B92512-B4F7-4AB2-9DE4-70DA4278B54B.thumb.png.d205169e207bdc571bfc1758d217736a.png

8709CD18-A939-4026-97AB-1D91202465BA.thumb.png.0c9c8d616f15336c3a29fc53958dfe82.png

7C3F3A25-09C2-4976-BB31-BCA53FBE6443.thumb.png.e946c0e5bd50e2edd2c77a437a743ef3.png

6D86E11E-3226-4940-AC47-BD66A875D0C6.thumb.png.097bd3f3750575828d96059013c28dfe.png

D5484171-E349-4C2A-A234-B6395C4AA6DD.thumb.png.862b9e9d547148c1985690244aa8cefe.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

First flake of snow outside and you'll be back posting in here, and you know it. You're one of us now, an incurable. 

:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
24 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

18z looking good to me for Scotland. Chance of snow anywhere next week starting from Monday night. Cold air coming in from the NW throughout the run with the odd mild blip here and there but staying mostly cold with good snow potential for us :)

Just a few frames showing the potential snow over the next week or so...

6FB4181D-FF5A-4EAE-BCC2-F375B5CD87BA.thumb.png.75adff8159d1ebccc647943f84c4cf29.png

48B92512-B4F7-4AB2-9DE4-70DA4278B54B.thumb.png.d205169e207bdc571bfc1758d217736a.png

8709CD18-A939-4026-97AB-1D91202465BA.thumb.png.0c9c8d616f15336c3a29fc53958dfe82.png

7C3F3A25-09C2-4976-BB31-BCA53FBE6443.thumb.png.e946c0e5bd50e2edd2c77a437a743ef3.png

6D86E11E-3226-4940-AC47-BD66A875D0C6.thumb.png.097bd3f3750575828d96059013c28dfe.png

D5484171-E349-4C2A-A234-B6395C4AA6DD.thumb.png.862b9e9d547148c1985690244aa8cefe.png

Eh, Stormeh..... sorry, this can’t be right, im sure I read somewhere that .....

1- the cold spell would end on Wednesday 

2- forget 1 ... there is no cold spell

3- forget 1 and 2 .... Winters Over

Now, where was it I saw that ?

04677BE6-57BE-489D-86C9-E135893C0911.thumb.png.e66a9df6c0be4700fa7ae899ba24ddc7.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Models looking less good this morning? It's impossible at the moment to get any real sense from the mod thread. 

Currently 1C, damp (dew point must be 0+ i think), cloudy and cold.

Posted

Just had a brief hail shower. :rolleyes: 

Currently, stratus, temp 0C with a slight waft from the north.

It's true that I dislike severe cold, snow and ice, but for those who do, I don't see the point of wasting precious time by projecting their weather preferences days or weeks ahead. Just deal with, or enjoy whatever.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

1.3c/-8.8/WNW  cold and damp and cloudy.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Posted

Morning all,

After a lovely day yesterday it’s cold, damp and dreich this morning, 2c and drizzle here in the Ferry.

Still not seeing an opportunity to roll out the snowfall predictor table in the short term. Cold but mostly dry in the next 5 days or so as far as I see it. Not just me but the good folks at MWIS: 

Slack high pressure then results in fair winter conditions in many areas to start the new week. For the rest of the week, fairly high pressure is likely, with frequently dry and often benign conditions. Further snow is likely at times as weak fronts move in from the west, but amounts generally small.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast/SH/

Still, as @CatchMyDrift said yesterday if we can’t have a snow fest, cold and dry is a fine alternative, especially if, like me, you like getting out and about and dislike wind and rain! :D

• Like 6

Posted

Another wet start to the day.Feed lorry has just phoned me outside at the cattle to see if he can come in on Monday as they have  a problem sinking on farm roads.In spite of average rainfall I have never seen the farm fields or roads so soft. It must be down to the hard penetrating frosts following rain that we have had. This has heaved the ground (expanded) several times and when it thaws leaves the ground much softer than before. Tarred roads will probably   befull of potholes too this spring!!

Currently 1.5c

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Constant light snaw here, although it's just above zero so we have a slightly damp 1 cm in the gairden.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Another wet start to the day.Feed lorry has just phoned me outside at the cattle to see if he can come in on Monday as they have  a problem sinking on farm roads.In spite of average rainfall I have never seen the farm fields or roads so soft. It must be down to the hard penetrating frosts following rain that we have had. This has heaved the ground (expanded) several times and when it thaws leaves the ground much softer than before. Tarred roads will probably   befull of potholes too this spring!!

Currently 1.5c

Everywhere I've been recently has been the same - groundwater really high, surface water running everywhere. Sodden. And yes, many roads are breaking up badly - the last few years of almost zero maintenance are coming home to roost. I'd say to anyone in the Highlands looking for new tyres just now, get the toughest and highest profile tyres you can reasonably fit on the car and forget your fancy low profile summer rubber.

Cold and wet here this morning, going to be an indoors day.

Took this one yesterday - the Nevis range from somewhere you should recognise! commando.thumb.jpg.c38253be44dbac80b617bb9bcefa76de.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

What's that big golf ball thingy?

Snaw shield generator?

Posted

Looks like western Scotland will be the winner this winter in terms of snowfall. Plenty of PM shots on offer throughout the next couple of weeks with the possibility of decent falls of snow. As @DR(S)NO said, I can’t post this in the nut house because winter is over and my post will probably be deleted :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Looks like western Scotland will be the winner this winter in terms of snowfall. Plenty of PM shots on offer throughout the next couple of weeks with the possibility of decent falls of snow. As @DR(S)NO said, I can’t post this in the nut house because winter is over and my post will probably be deleted :closedeyes:

Yep, it certainly looks like there's a fair chance of a cold zonal flow after next w/e, with opportunities for frontal rain/snow, and more interestingly, Atlantic convective WNW snow shower feeds that'd stomp all over today's snizzle.

Talking of snizzle, the Clyde wind farm is creating anomalous Doppler radar precipitation returns again today, a regular occurrence in drizzle and snizzle when the cloud base is low.

Edit ... posting a second image as it's more clearly seen on the radar without the NW ppn type feature on

clyde.JPG

cwf.JPG

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 5

Posted

Just paddled down the garden to find our patch of snowdrops:   snowdrops.thumb.jpg.8c054cc59f7cf964e8d9769475593823.jpg  looking as good as ever.  This is the mildest and shadiest part of the garden and I can see slug and snail damage already :aggressive:

@moffatross - that's interesting re the windfarm anomalies - I'll have to have a look around to see if that's happening closer to (my) home too.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4