Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Next week looking interesting - can't wait to see how it pans out. Certainly looks potentially great for some. 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted

Such a nice day here you can tell the sun getting a little oomph to it now 

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
12 hours ago, Polar Gael said:

Does this mean you won't be producing another of the highlights of this stealth winter: the @Hawesybespoke Kilted snawdepth predictor table?

And if not, does this mean we have to invoke the Kilted Snawdepth Pools Panel* to decide the results? 

:blink2:

*For younger viewers, back in the day, this was an invention (a bunch of blokes of the great and the good) to decide the Saturday fitba scores (when matches were postponed due to 'proper weather') in order to figure out whether anyone had won the pools jackpot. The pools were like Lotto, but involved much more complicated mental arithmetic, lesser prize money and the 1970s and were also reliant on nearly all the fitba matches being scheduled to kick off at 3pm on Saturday.

I know, who'd ever indulge such madness now, eh?!

Noo ahm guessing PG, that the official Kilted Snaw Depth Gauge, requires said Scotsman wi a Calibrated Langchanter  :D

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely day in NE Fife. Sunny skies, plentiful sunshine and 7c in very light winds.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Lovely day here also still cold but with temps at 1.2c with snaw still on the ground from tuesdays falls but most of it has melted looks boarderline for me tommorrow for somemore nextweek looks more interesting with the pest from the west meeting the beast from the east this could well gives us al some heavy falls

• Like 3

Posted

Beautiful here at Moffat too, Hawesy, it's almost spring-like with the sun having genuine warmth without the strong wind. Lots of snowdrops poking through, but no evidence of daffodils or crocuses yet.

Reading through the MO thread ramping, I can't help thinking that there're going to be some toys thrown out of prams. There's really nothing spectacularly wintry to expect anywhere in the UK in the next week or so, and even when and where uppers get '100% snow' low enough, little in the way of convective opportunity, and not much evidence of anything other than light frontal ppn to be expected.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
8 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Reading through the MO thread ramping, I can't help thinking that there're going to be some toys thrown out of prams. There's really nothing spectacularly wintry to expect anywhere in the UK in the next week or so, and even when and where uppers get '100% snow' low enough, little in the way of convective opportunity, and not much evidence of anything other than light frontal ppn to be expected.

Yes I agree but at least it’s going to turn very cold and in these situations some surprises can happen at the last minute. Hopefully one of the fronts can stall over us as it hits the cold air and bring some heavy falls of snow for a while.

• Like 3

ok so now I'm in a panic the BBC have me down for snaw from 8pm Monday to 6am Wednesday and again all day Thursday.. do I tell the wife and kids and do I go raid the local shops of all the bread and milk and stock pile it just incase I get an inch or 2??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Well done NorthernRab over on the MOD for politely explaining that just because a possible event may not happen in Englandshire doesn’t automatically make it ‘ insignificant and overhyped’...... apparently some of the UK population do live North if the M4!!!:fool::wallbash:

• Like 4

Just now, DR(S)NO said:

Well done NorthernRab over on the MOD for politely explaining that just because a possible event may not happen in Englandshire doesn’t automatically make it ‘ insignificant and overhyped’...... apparently some of the UK population do live North if the M4!!!:fool::wallbash:

Yep I saw that it really is such a pain in the ass in there sometimes if its not snowing in Londonshire  then its not doing it any other place. was gonna have a go myself but its a bit early and not been on the Buckfast yet so not as sarcastic as I will be later...:drunk-emoji:

Posted
56 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Yes I agree but at least it’s going to turn very cold and in these situations some surprises can happen at the last minute. Hopefully one of the fronts can stall over us as it hits the cold air and bring some heavy falls of snow for a while.

Yes, that's fair and realistic, unlike some of the comments in the MO thread talking of the UK being blanketed in deep snow (which of course might happen but is fairly unrealistic). I wonder sometimes whether some of the most extreme rampers aren't merely closet trolls, getting off on setting up spectacular expectations then enjoying the forum fireworks should the reality turn out to be closer to a damp squib.

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Maybe it's not going to be a snowfest but it's a beauty of a holding pattern if we can't have a snowfest. 

At least it isn't mild...(if you're a cold and snow lover...sorry @ciel). 

Definitely. Even if we don't get the snow, we're unlikely to get drowned, or blown away, and the snow on the hills will last rather longer into this spring and summer than it did last year too. But I think we will see some decent snow, just not the wintry Armageddon that some of the MO thread rampers are talking up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Gorgeous day here, and reading your talk about snow next week has added to the gorgeousness :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

More Snow maybe you better turn into a prepper... I am and I don't live in as snowy a place as you..

Posted

@NorthernRab your posts in the model thread.....:hi::clap:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
18 hours ago, Blitzen said:

BIGGREYFACE:

HC was admittedly hallucinating! in '86  and if he can't remember it was '87 he was probably hallucinating then too!:D

The reason I remember is because a friend of ours in Deal. Kent worked as a steward on the boats.   It was the Herald that sank that night and he was on the Pride..   Really tragic.

Anyway, I was watching it on tv the next day when my friend came in with her newborn in the pram.   Don't think she would be pushing a pram around in snow somehow?  Perhaps it was more localised?

MS Herald of Free Enterprise was a roll-on/roll-off (RORO) ferry which capsized moments after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge on the night of 6 March 1987, killing 193 passengers and crew.
Operator‎: ‎Townsend Thoresen‎ (1980–1987)
Fate‎: ‎Capsized 6 March 1987; Raised April 19...
Tonnage‎: ‎13,601 brt
Owner‎: ‎Townsend Thoresen‎ (1980–1987); Co...

Must have been a different event then. In 87 I was in Wales and I don't remember any big snow event at all that winter.  However by then I was in luuurv so my thoughts (and other things) were elsewhere.

And here come the toys.....those in the south of the uk will be taking part in the Olympic sport of toys out of the pram soon enough.. meanwhile temps here have dropped of very quickly this evening and dare I say it I can smell snow in the air.

Posted
22 minutes ago, More Snow said:

And here come the toys.....those in the south of the uk will be taking part in the Olympic sport of toys out of the pram soon enough.. meanwhile temps here have dropped of very quickly this evening and dare I say it I can smell snow in the air.

You better stay off the buckfast tonight then or you will be in there posting the snaw potential for Scotland :p

Posted
35 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Another 2 pages of nothing but crying and moaning.....

It's absolutely F£?#*ng pointless reading it tbh, totally wastes the run up to any decent cold spell. And see that Optimus c**t aswell?! Genuinely considering just not bothering with the forum until there's snow about to hit and just stick to this thread. Plenty info and knowledge to be had in here and plenty to be learned aswell and it's always an interesting read in here, especially in the lead up to the snow events and the night before they hit etc. 

Plus it helps that everyone in here is on the same wavelength unlike that farse! Tomorrow looking relatively uneventful but will an interesting week to come 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1