Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers
5 hours ago, Stormeh said:

I am thinking of doing the North Coast 500 this summer with the family. I would like to hire a motorhome that sleeps 6 but not sure if a motorhome is suitable for the roads up there? Has anyone done this? Thanks for any help!

alright stormeh.

Used to live further along the braes fae you in foxbar. Know borrheid very well.

Anyhow to part answer yer question No done the north coast but my cousin did it in a four berth motorhome last year. Im no a motorhome owner and never have been , im a caravaner , we currently tow a lunar quasar four berth. If the motorhomes are similar to caravans , dont think there is that great a difference between many four and six berths regarding towing and manouvering in my experience , and it was no problem for my cousin in her motorhome.

Just dae yer research , good quality sat nav especially one for caravans/motorhomes  can help but ur no 100 % foolproof , pick yer route and where ye want to stay etc.

Been towing vans for 14 years something like that , if you have driven large vehicles then all that experience helps. enjoy pal!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers
5 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

Yep you'll be fine in that case, even when the roads are too narrow, everyone just kind of makes it work to squeeze past each other lol. I couldn't find the YouTube videos that I was talking about but they're defo on there somewhere lol 

This is a cracking video of the Bealach Na Ba pass though as it shows the full thing from a dashcam and I'm sure at around 20 mins and 5 seconds that's a 6 berth that comes round the corner, which is the exact same corner as is in my photo above in the snow 

cheers fur that ruzzi. looks brilliant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Cracking 22 degree Halo visible tonight for those rehearsing the Super moon shenanigans..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 hours ago, Stormeh said:

I am thinking of doing the North Coast 500 this summer with the family. I would like to hire a motorhome that sleeps 6 but not sure if a motorhome is suitable for the roads up there? Has anyone done this? Thanks for any help!

One thing: passing places are for following vehicles to get past, as well as oncoming. Cheers :good:

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The latest Euro4 is pretty solid for a decent shot at some very heavy snow showers on Wednesday, it looks fairly similar to Super Tuesday but not quite as potent.

Well that's interesting!! I looked at the Euro4 this morning (Monday morning I mean) about 11am and Wednesday morning was just in range but it didn't look too great if I'm honest but shall go check out the latest. 

Edit:

yep, most definitely an upgrade there for sure! Wasn't expecting that if I'm honest, will be an interesting watch through Wednesday now 

IMG_7919.thumb.PNG.6f49a239256015251b10657ce40bb2f1.PNG

IMG_7920.thumb.PNG.6b66f7299d0d5a523707ae3125cc0726.PNG

Plenty of kinks in there too. I did think there would be some snow showers but did not see it being the way that the Euro4 is going. I'm always open to correction when it means more snow ?

And for all it means nothing, I have a massive upgrade from the MetO forecast 

IMG_7921.thumb.PNG.57f6cdfc59e0fc15de6f2f0264185ba6.PNG

IMG_7922.thumb.PNG.6dab991a824d11188d1072b5e2be0a84.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Posted

Looking good for some tomorrow. Fingers crossed! I'm away with work but I'll still probably end up radar watching and browsing the forum to see what's going on :)

Posted

Have to say, the Euro 4 is still looking very respectable for tomorrow. The MetO have issued their warning aswell but they are only going for 1-2 inches on ground above 200m and any snow to low levels being mainly overnight rather than from the showers that pile in during the morning. The last time I checked there was more marginality present during the night before conditions became more favourable during the morning for snow to lower levels. Maybe I'm missing something completely obvious but they are certainly playing it down a bit. 

IMG_7923.thumb.PNG.cd9d132fa6955202f0c4b6c59c0dfe3f.PNG

IMG_7924.thumb.PNG.794690bfa25ef64dfbb65bcaf6378f68.PNG

IMG_7925.thumb.PNG.85e584313957bd917eb1cc2d4613923a.PNG

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

They must have inside info cos it's not what I am seeing either :)

Agree with both of you. Roughly speaking the window of opportunity looks to be from around 0300-1200 tomorrow before it then becomes the wrong side of marginal at low levels in the afternoon.

Dont think that it will approach the January 1984-style Tuesday of a couple of weeks back but some will be in for a pleasant surprise!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It can wait until 9am, I'm going to the doc for bloods lol. Then it can pour nonstop until the weekend. O if only ....:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I don’t think I will see much snow here tomorrow but the GFS is showing some decent PM blasts throughout the last couple of runs pretty similar to what we had a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the GFS picked up on that well over a week before it happend. Winter is not over for us in Scotland, plenty more snow on the way for us, starting tomorrow for some!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Met office warning out but the actual forecast for Falkirk appears to be rain or sleet at most. Will see what tomorrow brings 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Temp dropping through the day here, down from 7.5C to 3.5C according to the car. Being a VW, it never lies.

Due to go to Stirling on the train tomorrow - and home. Last time I did this, the train broke down at Dalwhinnie.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Just had a wet-ish sprinkling here. 

Posted

Sideways heavyish snow now. Good thing is the ground is dry, the road is white already after only a minute. Didn't expect that this morning.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 2

Posted

Everything covered here, really heavy shower just passed through and I reckon there's coming up for 1cm judging from looking from the bedroom window. Plenty showers on the radar too 

IMG_7942.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A covering of snaw overnight here. Currently 0.3C/0C. 

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather in winter

And while Carol Kirkwood manages to take 2 out of 3 minutes to describe how the temperature dropped from 10c to 8c in London,the snow is back in Leadhills.leadhills.thumb.jpeg.ddb5a04bdc45335f75a5c48b6dd1ca2d.jpeg

leadhills.jpeg

Edited by Mildcarlisle
  • Like 1

Posted

At home location, clear sky, 1C, calm and frost free.

However, off shortly to Roslin for doggie's check-up.  Should I take the car or the truck?

Posted

The radar is starting to look very healthy! Already plenty of showers merging with some very beefy showers forming off the west coast aswell.

IMG_7943.PNG

Posted

Covering at home, but did not have enough time to get any pics.

If it keeps going I'll ask the wife to send some through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Some heavy snow showers passing through but not coming to much just some on grass and cars. I would imagine East Kilbride will be doing ok though :)