Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
14 hours ago, scott125 said:

Snow still visible beside the higher bits of M74 . 

Drove from home through Biggar to Killin yesterday in the wind and rain. A702/M74/M73/M80/M9/A84/A85. Snow still around both of ends of that journey!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The weather here is dull, calm and mild so I'll recommend a film instead - 3 billboards outside ebbing, Missouri. Excellent, even though there's no weather-related themes in it at all.

• Like 2

Posted

Calm, misty and mysterious in Broughty Ferry this afternoon. Expecting sea monsters imminently. :D

AF55F761-D87D-415B-9017-B83F4BAF904C.jpeg

3CB795A4-A32D-4EDC-A283-AFDA336A12A5.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Calm, misty and mysterious in Broughty Ferry this afternoon. Expecting sea monsters imminently. :D

AF55F761-D87D-415B-9017-B83F4BAF904C.jpeg

3CB795A4-A32D-4EDC-A283-AFDA336A12A5.jpeg

You mean Sea Devils, as in Jon Pertwee's mates from about 1973 at a guess? Or monsters not wearing string vests perhaps.

Peeing down now.

• Like 1

Posted

Fine day till late afternoon when rain came on. Got a new electric  fence up in the neep field so we are set up for the next half of winter. Currently 7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dull damp and rising breeze. Temp has gone up to 10.3C. My first double figure of the year

Posted
31 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Don't think we're going to see Trump's anus - I mean the super bloody blue moon - tonight...

Full/Blue moon on Wednesday - so you might see if yet HC!

• Like 1

Posted

Been lashing it down for several hours. Looked at the radar and see that nearly everywhere is the same. Hopefully it'll be away soon... 

Posted

Yes another very wet night ground will be waterlogged again not at all like last winters dry weather. Have to say that reading through various farming magazines in the last few months agriculture  especially in the west of Scotland is under severe threat from this wet weather and I think in another fifty years time will be severely reduced if not non existant over large parts of Scotland.  Currently breezy clear and 3.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

what a gorgeous picture @Cheggers :rofl:

hee haw here since last Thursday 

i take it wednesdays potential snaw not looking too impressive as nowt being said 

will go take a look 

Posted
26 minutes ago, edo said:

what a gorgeous picture @Cheggers :rofl:

hee haw here since last Thursday 

i take it wednesdays potential snaw not looking too impressive as nowt being said 

will go take a look 

Was just having a look there, looks very marginal to say the least. 

The GFS has a band of heavy rain sweeping through but turning to snow for a few hours as it departs and then some wintery showers thereafter but anything up til 6am on Wednesday morning looks the wrong side marginal without decent elevation. The main band of precipitation has pretty much dropped most of its load by 6am so possibly some heavy snow back edge of the band with some elevation and then wintery showers thereafter, mostly of snow inland I would suggest as conditions become more favourable. 

This is how GFS has it: 

IMG_7909.thumb.PNG.4932529eb844c3cf4845ee97444564b0.PNG

IMG_7910.thumb.PNG.7548587c7800c4a2e3ff74fbc6312ab4.PNG

IMG_7911.thumb.PNG.2f38fc729bc1c3610f51d54da9c3ba0b.PNG

but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. 

After 6am things look a bit more favourable, with a strong WNW, -5 850's widely, possibly even down to -6 850's and under 520 DAM, and 950's drop below zero as does the dew points :

IMG_7912.thumb.PNG.02f7ff38da30c20cbd07e25a5861657c.PNG

IMG_7913.thumb.PNG.7a7436793a6ace9f613c32c312b9586f.PNG

IMG_7914.thumb.PNG.2fb92fc6bf6d69ddb9585b3149422baf.PNG

But prior to this, looking at 3am Wednesday, 950's are very dicey as are the dew points: 

IMG_7915.thumb.PNG.ed47706d8a36e9e688bdb0e1b37e7a9d.PNG

IMG_7916.thumb.PNG.a695166fb01c051da0a74eb03955827c.PNG

Having said that, I'd imagine places in the highlands could get a decent dumping such as the south side of the great glen down to around glencoe, that would be my best guess about where would do pretty well, along with some areas north of the trossachs such as killin and Clifton for example. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Jeez, this continuous searching(MOD)  for the holy grail easterly from one run to another is :wallbash: crazy!! Enough already!!

Anyhow, I’ve a feeling our next winter shot for February will be from the North(ish)..... although nothing for the majority of those in that forum to get excited about..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
10 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I will be more than happy with this for my birthday...:cold::cold::cold:

gfs-1-324.png

You'll have loads of company then!   Lots of us on here with birthdays around that date.:)

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nice enough day here after, as others have said, quite a wet night.   Still a bit blowy though.  

5.9c/2.2c/WSW

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I am thinking of doing the North Coast 500 this summer with the family. I would like to hire a motorhome that sleeps 6 but not sure if a motorhome is suitable for the roads up there? Has anyone done this? Thanks for any help!

Posted
Just now, Stormeh said:

I am thinking of doing the North Coast 500 this summer with the family. I would like to hire a motorhome that sleeps 6 but not sure if a motorhome is suitable for the roads up there? Has anyone done this? Thanks for any help!

Some of the roads are very narrow and tight, but I'd imagine a 6 berth may be manageable if you're careful. I passed a couple of motorhomes that I would estimate were 4-6 berths while I was doing it including this one at the top of the Bealach Na Ba pass on the way to applecross. 

IMG_7917.thumb.PNG.bc5d506880dab628e63290d7fe7b7306.PNG

I'd imagine with it being summer, that you won't have to worry about that kind of snow lol. We had an absolute nightmare up there with the weather. We didn't do the full 500 but I would say all the roads that we were on were certainly manageable in a 6 berth as long as you're a confident driver. 

Also if you go onto youtube, there's an Irish couple that do it in a campervan and they make note of a lot of key areas to stop and do things, especially with the family such as a deer sanctuary where you can feed them etc. They split it up over a number of different YouTube videos showing what they did each day, which helps give a good idea for timescales and places to stop and things to see etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Thanks @Ruzzi

The Bealach Na Ba pass looks amazing! I am a pretty confident driver, I have driven large vehicles before so should be ok with a 6 berth. I will check out those YouTube videos, thanks!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Thanks @Ruzzi

The Bealach Na Ba pass looks amazing! I am a pretty confident driver, I have driven large vehicles before so should be ok with a 6 berth. I will check out those YouTube videos, thanks!

Yep you'll be fine in that case, even when the roads are too narrow, everyone just kind of makes it work to squeeze past each other lol. I couldn't find the YouTube videos that I was talking about but they're defo on there somewhere lol 

This is a cracking video of the Bealach Na Ba pass though as it shows the full thing from a dashcam and I'm sure at around 20 mins and 5 seconds that's a 6 berth that comes round the corner, which is the exact same corner as is in my photo above in the snow 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4

Picked up the 4x4 this morning so I would take all the model runs and bin the lot of them as I can now say it will never ever snow in the uk again...:rofl: