Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Still looking pretty good to me on the 12z GFS for the early hours of Wednesday morning. Is this what people call a slider?  

C5C03B7C-D8CB-41AA-949B-1E68BDF5D55A.thumb.gif.2026096624e77204283aa74358443c33.gif

A16F1485-4C8A-4984-9F61-87C589D89510.thumb.gif.82854c8a82ad5b2b0cefd50fa871a95a.gif

DE2E01D5-57D0-408A-B1A3-23D76C746FA9.thumb.gif.c0382f0a309aa677c218a5a3d2b29e47.gif

FFEFA3AF-0622-4BFC-930B-E95830EB0584.thumb.gif.146e5835fbed348e9220aebbd0ea333c.gif

E179733B-13C3-430E-A1EA-4B883D831273.thumb.png.b34ca0ccb0afc8c5717e129cbdbd5f0f.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@Benvironmentis your job walking in snaw??? its the only explanation as to how you get to spend so much time walking in random snowy places ?

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
3 hours ago, edo said:

@Benvironmentis your job walking in snaw??? its the only explanation as to how you get to spend so much time walking in random snowy places ?

If only! My ranger contract has just ended and now it’s the annual waiting game to see whether there’s budget for next season.

• Like 5

Posted

On the train home from the Weeg. Damp and mild start to the day.

In terms of gritting I have to say the roads on my daily commute from Broughty Ferry to St Andrews are always well gritted, not had any problems this winter.

@Benvironment Hope the job situation works out. Your photos are stunning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not dreich here, yet anyways. Just breezy and mostly cloudy with outbreaks of Mogwai.  Oh and the cats fighting in the corridor. Mild too, looks to be heading towards the highest since the first week last month. Is winter over?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not dreich here, yet anyways. Just breezy and mostly cloudy with outbreaks of Mogwai.  Oh and the cats fighting in the corridor. Mild too, looks to be heading towards the highest since the first week last month. Is winter over?

I wouldn't like to call that one actually, especially up here this year.

Certainly cannot remember a January in the last few years when we actually had snow?  and this area has had two falls this season, depositing 4" and 6".  Even the 2010/11 event  was all over by the end of December here,  bar the long thaw.

Still time I figure for another shout.   I mean I'm hardly ever wrong!:D

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
13 hours ago, Benvironment said:

If only! My ranger contract has just ended and now it’s the annual waiting game to see whether there’s budget for next season.

eeeek good luck hope it all works out.....and keep the great pictures coming  

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted

Lunchtime brightened up, took dog to the beach. Back home, soup, then washing hung out. Bloody rain on again now.

What happened to yesterday :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Chucking it down here. OH running an ultra marathon in Callendar Park  tomorrow (fool) just checked weather for him, to be wet all day. Mud fest likely :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I wouldn't like to call that one actually, especially up here this year.

Certainly cannot remember a January in the last few years when we actually had snow?  and this area has had two falls this season, depositing 4" and 6".  Even the 2010/11 event  was all over by the end of December here,  bar the long thaw.

Still time I figure for another shout.   I mean I'm hardly ever wrong!:D

Was that enough to fire up the old s*** b*****? :oops:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
24 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Was that enough to fire up the old s*** b*****? :oops:

Don't push it!:laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
6 hours ago, Hawesy said:

On the train home from the Weeg. Damp and mild start to the day.

In terms of gritting I have to say the roads on my daily commute from Broughty Ferry to St Andrews are always well gritted, not had any problems this winter.

@Benvironment Hope the job situation works out. Your photos are stunning.

Cheers. I don't find out either way till early March so can't start panicking yet ;-)

Posted

After a grey start to the day, the skies cleared around mid-day and so decided to have a sunny dog walk in Glen Tanar.  It was windy and felt cold, although the car registered a temp of 9C. Half way up the hill to the viewpoint, a thin veil of cloud spun seemingly out of nowhere and gave me a proper drenching for a couple of minutes or so before disappearing - returned to car.

Currently, back at home, 6C and looking just a wee bit unsettled and probably showery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Very dark mizzly day here and now got quite windy. One slate already hit the garden path in bits..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Went across to Speyside this afternoon for a wander. Mainly bright, but with an occasional short shower. Felt chilly in a strong breeze though despite the car showing about 8C. Still very thin remnants of snow in sheltered places, or on the higher tops. 

Saw what we are now convinced was a female Hen Harrier flying along the valley just above the trees we were walking through. Initially we thought it was a buzzard, but it just didn't look quite right. Didn't get a great look, but the local birds must have, as they shot off in the opposite direction. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted

Guessing it looking wet ;) Had some fairly nasty showers today here already (and this is before the rain tomorrow)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Dreich, dreich and Double Dreich here today! Very calm, which is more than I can say for yesterday. Trying tae get ma boxes oot o' the car for the car boot sale was fun! A few folk had some stuff take off but no damage done so far as I know. I cleared the cost of my table and petrol easily and if it had been advertised a bit better would probably have sold a bit more. A new venue, much smaller ( and warmer! ) than the usual freezing Community Centre. So, we await the return of winter..... But don't tell anyone in the MOD, might start a really fierce outbreak of Toorping! ?❄??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

It will certainly be turning much colder again from Wednesday as winds come in from the NW again. Snow showers look likely, especially in western areas again. I don’t think it will be good as a couple of weeks ago but the Met Office are saying wintry showers even at low levels so who knows?

9E09EBEB-E916-4C9D-90BF-D1F3DA5EB767.thumb.png.376fc341b6088bb2c04679fffd8968ff.png

579DA0AD-9265-4E05-B1D9-8DF5B2F6B20C.thumb.png.f29942bd21a2ea805eb0bcad33d6a466.png

FFB7A3B6-86EF-4025-9961-00E274121D14.thumb.png.5bb89c6c26b9442a47bf988c107cdf4c.png

After this week it’s impossible to say what will happen. There are some nice charts showing up in models but these are changing with each run. The 06z GFS has very cold air  to our west and to our east.

3B13EF04-BADF-427F-8FAE-F9EA3C60E668.thumb.png.c0c9a4efd2bf53644df42feb21389b8d.png

Plenty of fun and games to come before Spring arrives!

• Like 1

Posted

Had a look at the radar and no heavy rain visible on that yet?   We've only accumulated 1.8mm since midnight here.   Still time I suppose if it's lasting into Monday.

9.3c so milder than recently.