Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

30 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Meltinnnnnnnnnnng :wallbash:

WP_20180123_08_11_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.e84ece7d1d8f4a138b2e5e1270bb232f.jpg

quickly pile it up into a shaded area or put a tub of it in the freezer, year round snaw anytime you want it...:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well I'm back...(finally!)   Damn router packed in at tea time Friday, just before the fun and games were supposed to start.   I say supposed because I didn't get one single flake out of it!   I presume the blob split and went north/south of Fife?

Still all was not lost as I got 6" from the system on Sunday.   The last few lumps thawed this morning.

Please tell me 101-North got something?  Or was he hospitalised?:D

Ah well, dreich it is then.   Couldn't hear myself think this morning with the rain pounding on the conservatory roof !:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

What a change 48 hours brings, tropical in comparison to the weeks just gone at 9'C. 

I'm very optimistic about the rest of winter though - nice to see the models all agreeing on very cold air making its way into Scandinavia / the high north. One thing I've noticed about this winter is that heights over Greenland have been continuously underestimated by the models. Considering even the GFS is sniffing the idea of height rises over Iceland and east Greenland, there's plenty to be hopeful about! 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 4

Posted

+12C showing on the car thermometer as I came back from walking the dog a few minutes ago. Snow? What snow? All gone except for a few straggly patches on the hills.

Dog looked fair disappointed!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Yes the mud is back with a vengence thats almost six months in the wellies .Oh for a droughty summer! Currently wet and 7c

I meant to add that it was bliss to walk around on hard dry surfaces last week in spite of the ice.

Posted
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Well I'm back...(finally!)   Damn router packed in at tea time Friday, just before the fun and games were supposed to start.   I say supposed because I didn't get one single flake out of it!   I presume the blob split and went north/south of Fife?

Still all was not lost as I got 6" from the system on Sunday.   The last few lumps thawed this morning.

Please tell me 101-North got something?  Or was he hospitalised?:D

Ah well, dreich it is then.   Couldn't hear myself think this morning with the rain pounding on the conservatory roof !:)

As predicted Friday's fun and games went north and south of me but I got snow on Sunday - not anywhere near as much as you - but it was a great way to finish up the cold spell :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Well, this would do: a tad chilly and potentially snawtastic, albeit someway off just yet, so usual health warnings about Formula One, etc, etc. :wink:

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted

Tweed in full flood.

A701 in full flood :laugh:

Posted

Grimly clinging onto the last few snaw patches, that was some rain that came down this afternoon, almost monsoon weather.

Clear and breezy at present, hope it stays so as heading to Scarborough the morra.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Opens the door, comes in tae the forum, nae feker there! ?

Mmm, thurs and fekin snaw?

Puts the milk bottles oot, goes back oot an shuts the door.?

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Opens the door, comes in tae the forum, nae feker there! ?

Mmm, thurs and fekin snaw?

Puts the milk bottles oot, goes back oot an shuts the door.?

Big Innes

Yeah, my thoughts too.  Seems like winter's over for now but more to come. We hit 7C today, which we did briefly a couple of weeks ago, otherwise not since the first week of last month.

Locally it's been very cold and snowier so far than for a few years - winter 10/11 - but it's bad news when the warmth kicks in like this after a cold spell.

I've had some good fun with the Yeti on the snow lately, including some on minor roads in Caithness last week.  Like the Black Isle, Caithness was cold and snowy for several weeks.

This picture was Saturday last week at Plodda Falls, up beyond Tomich. Like Lapland.   5a67e12ad8d7b_veryverysnowytrees.thumb.jpg.81a988a4cf345cbba4b081607574bd77.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Core of low pressure (storm Georgina) about to hit southern Hebrides and Skye, fairly narrow band of very strong winds could gust to 140 km/hr. Will be more like 100-110 km/hr further south except in a few areas well exposed to westerly winds. Estimated arrival time 0600h South Uist and 0700h Skye, nearby areas of mainland western Scotland. If north of the track of this low, expect 50-80 km/hr east backing northeast to north then 80-120 km/hr northwest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted

Sending condolences from Stirling to Joel Taylor's loved ones - him and Reed were instrumental in getting my weather obsession started.

Gone far to soon.

RIP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Oooooh, Georgina being a wee bit of a minx this morning! So far she's flung rain, hail, sleet, strong(ish) winds and thunder and lightning! Winds are defo getting stronger but thankfully this will pass over fairly quickly. Fairly mild too, currently around 5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

A wee bit blown out there this morning ...

a few photos from last night before the storm blew in

9166B3C8-E317-46C9-ABD1-AE800EAB2C12.thumb.jpeg.567e7c4cb2bcdd94d7e64878576b5e59.jpeg739AD26A-5A62-4186-85E8-7219032B4487.thumb.jpeg.fa9e4839453e19d113fb614a128da5dc.jpeg58D51652-5122-4F53-8248-E35A221DB339.thumb.jpeg.97cefc179494eafd85577282f9b1a861.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
49 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Had a gust of 57mph just after 7am when that squall came through. That's the highest we've had here since Jan 2016.

I no longer have an anemometer but it's getting ferociously gusty on the Black Isle this morning.  Much more and there could be some damage.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Back garden a bit flooded this morning and I wondered what the dog was barking at.   Turned out to be all of his play balls were floating in a huge puddle and he couldn't get to them.   He hates water and won't go near it.   Snow however is different!

Never heard a thing last night but must have been really heavy rain here for some considerable time.   A bit blowy too.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

I no longer have an anemometer but it's getting ferociously gusty on the Black Isle this morning.  Much more and there could be some damage.

Warning has just been updated to keep it in the east for longer, so looks like it's going to go on for some time yet. We've had so many warnings for wind here over the years when it's been nothing but a gusty breeze, and this is the worst it's been for at least two years and no warning whatsoever. Sustained winds just under 50mph now.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just the same here quite a few branches down.   Cooler at  4c

Having a discussion with neighbours about schools closing in bad weather and pointed out that all the transport needed today needs clear roads without snow,ice or branches.In my fathers day they never missed school because of bad weather as they were all over the countryside well within walking distance. In our case I went to the local school at the end of the farm road half a mile away for the last six weeks before it closed in the early sixties. It had  a  role of 88 just after the second world war.

• Like 2

A tad windy here today, fire place and stove are whistling in the wind and windows are rattling away too. its all a bit slow over in the mad house, but a few rumblings about MLB or HLB is the beast stirring ?? are we going up the garden path? will the uppers be cold enough? will there be shortwave dramas? will the cold head down to Greece will it snow on the beach in Spain and will the vortex go on a holiday to the USA?? I'm still waiting for the first "don't want snow in February coz the suns to warm and days are to long" post.. all good fun while we wait to see how it all unfolds and its always fun to see good folk getting the knickers in a twist because they don't have 3ft and minus 20c in there back yard.

Edited by Guest

Posted

Still jolly gusty but the gloom and rain from earlier has gone, leaving a ripped up sky and a view down to the firth showing plenty of white horses.

Posted
3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Back garden a bit flooded this morning and I wondered what the dog was barking at.   Turned out to be all of his play balls were floating in a huge puddle and he couldn't get to them.   He hates water and won't go near it.   Snow however is different!

Never heard a thing last night but must have been really heavy rain here for some considerable time.   A bit blowy too.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

A dog that doesn't like water? Sure it's not a cat? It's so funny watching cats going out for a dump when it's really wet or snowy, they really are wimps. Then they run back inside and give you a look that says 'you bloody bury it!'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A dog that doesn't like water? Sure it's not a cat? It's so funny watching cats going out for a dump when it's really wet or snowy, they really are wimps. Then they run back inside and give you a look that says 'you bloody bury it!'

My Labrador hates water.. he does everything he can to avoid puddles  when out on a run and will not go anywhere near the sea or rivers.