Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
41 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Really looking forward to work this morning and having to deal with the "at least it's milder" brigade :cray:

I didn't realize we had someone on here that works as a bbc weather presenter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

7*C here down South. At least it’s milder ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's all green and sludgy brown out there! Yes, gentle reader, we have the Return of the Mud! Last night when I went out to put chooks to bed, I could hear that the wee burn that runs behind our garden had turned into a raging torrent. Snow is melting fast even from the mountain tops. Currently 6.6c and dreich wi' it. Breezy mid week? We'll see. I was just saying to a friend at the weekend that we haven't had a really big beast of a storm this winter. Famous last words?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

It would be a brave man to bet against @Northern Strath although @shuggee might provide some stiff competition?

Frosty start here, currently 1c.

ahhh but its all about how high and wide you construct your pile and how shaded it is.. mine is wee thin and in the sun all day so i wont be winning :D

aye @More Snowbeen a great week.... fearing some flooding issues in areas though if we get rain along with the rapid thaw particularly at tomorrow's temps 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still under 0C here this morning with my street a sheet of ice. Currently -0.2C and rising.

Posted
12 hours ago, scottishandy said:

Has been quite a spell, still 23cm lying here although starting to get moist on top.

Anyone fancy a who can keep snow for the longest competition?

We still have about 4" of lying snaw and ice, going to take a heatwave to shift the ice below

Posted

So....I know at times I'm quick to joke/complain (delete as appropriate) on here so it's only fair to reflect on what's been a great week of winter weather. Despite living in a very sheltered location I've had:

1. 6 days of enjoying the snow with the kids (the main one for me). Never seen them as happy outside - they absolutely loved it :D
  2. snow on the ground since Monday evening
  3. snow cover of up to 8cm on Tuesday
  4. some short lived but very intense whiteout conditions
  5. around 4 falls of at least a few cm each over the week
  6. proper snowfall from a frontal system for the first time in many years on Sunday

And all this was from a westerly setup!!!!! 

I know other places have done much better this week but it's been great watching the photos being posted, reading the reports as they came in, reading the charts, watching the radar, seeing people get genuinely memorable snowfall and, of course, enjoying the banter :D

• Like 9

Posted

The melt is well and truly accelerating now, be lucky if the streets don't end up flooded, tons of flowing water along the streets around here 

IMG_7854.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If it's dry enough later in the week I might cut my grass. It's a shambles as I never got a chance to cut it again in autumn.

lol i hate missing the last cut and looking at long grass all weekend.... takes longer for snow cover to take away all traces of green aswell.... thaw is rapid.... i think. i will have nowt by tomorrow night.... 

agree with @101_North a great post.... that would be a perfect summary for here too. 

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Aye, the big melt is well underway here noo!?

Big Innes

IMG_20180122_200250.jpg

IMG_20180122_200320.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Need some heavy rain now to wash all the grit away. Can’t keep the car clean with all that mess on the road :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

When you have a thaw then it's best the snow gets dealt with right away. Some of the pavements in Glasgow were treacherous this morning with slush and ice.

And a feature of thaws here are the risk of landslips, especially in the dark winter, and sure enough we had that train derail this morning in the West Highlands. 

If it makes any of you feel better, here is this week's forecast for Molde in Norway, who will be reaching the heady heights of 6c this week. So it's not just us who have to put up with snow melts and rain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/3145580

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
speeling, forgetting bits, speeling, repitition
  • Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

No-one in the south will win a longest snow patch competition, it's going to get hairdryered away:

ukgust-9.thumb.png.a0f0668d30fe07fbcc8b0ff8bf834861.pngukprec-3.thumb.png.d2b289cd1609da7938047a741b31e210.pngukmaxtemp-2.thumb.png.c660cba5aab1f9209ea49866b75e5204.png

Watch out my northern friends, there's some severe gales coming too:

ukgust-10.thumb.png.dd762c62e74747672a2a528f826be987.pngukgust-11.thumb.png.21d35ad5a0ec4a7b7e8e824c7f7c0a17.png

I hope quite a lot will survive at elevation. At 700-800 metres, the average height of the Southern Uplands tops, temperature will be 3-4 C in the heaviest rain and strongest winds so the tops (which like the western aspects have skinny depths already due to the wind deposition) will end up bare as bones. The deep depositions on eastern aspects sheltered from the wind a little will suffer some depth loss but will survive this thaw, and higher parts of those slopes will benefit from a refreeze soon after. Chances of long-lasting snow patches are much, much higher this year than the last couple but I agree, without new big snowfalls, they're unlikely to beat the June survival records.

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

The big snawthaw is well underway here now, too, albeit it took its time - we stayed sub-zero until after 8am this morning and only maxed out at a balmy 3.8C this arvo. Still 6cm of level snaw lying where it's been undisturbed all week. Doubt it's going to hang on very much longer though. 

So, when's the next lot incoming then? Looks like we could have a shot at some transient snaw on Friday - and after that it's 'beyond the cusp of the reliable timeframe' or whatever the correct strawclutching terminology is that they use in the TOORPing thread these days... :wink:

• Like 5

Posted

As others have said this thread has been a joy over the last week. Great photos, great posts, great banter! :)

The 12z GFS shows a high pressure dominated end to the month and start to February, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. As Catch says plenty of time yet for more fun and games.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Dreich and miserable up here, but at least it's mild! ? Looks like it might be a bit blawy tomorrow morning, anything from 52 mph to 76 mph gusts depending on which forecast you believe. Either way we're back tae the usual pish that we usually have. Ach well, it wiz braw while it lasted!

• Like 1

Posted

Yes the mud is back with a vengence thats almost six months in the wellies .Oh for a droughty summer! Currently wet and 7c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Round 2 is on its way....

D115476D-0E2F-4DF6-A609-BB344BD180FA.thumb.png.3e935ee821e8cc438ce331fb48d5b71c.png9CB6FB17-26FE-4123-B3FE-12B0D4A4E599.thumb.png.b52838c12a79e5971292fa85a477f039.png

3E34CD9D-73A5-433A-A597-6C2E9E3E1B01.thumb.png.c820f2fda3714aae9aeec5f621d8e961.png

If only it was 48 hours away and not 360 hours! The models have been hinting at more cold snowy weather as we go into February so plenty of time left for more fun like we have had over the last week :) 

• Like 7