Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
12 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

An absolutely epic weekend. Further 5cm of snow on Friday, arctic air and perfect alpine conditions for sledging on Saturday - which was an ice day, too. Hardly a breath of wind. Overnight minimum of -7.9C and further snaw today, starting just before 1pm and giving a further 2cm before turning to cauld snizzle/drizzle/wintry mix though still sub-zero. Currently -1.0C/-2C and has just turned back to snaw again. A magical week for the wee folk (and for us big weans).  Some snaps of the highlights attached. 

IMG_20180120_1509077.jpg

IMG_20180120_1509433.jpg

IMG_20180120_1528397.jpg

IMG_20180120_1528496.jpg

IMG_20180120_1627177.jpg

IMG_20180120_1510285.jpg

IMG_20180120_1630366.jpg

IMG_20180120_1729088.jpg

Wow , to say I’m jelous is an understatement,  I saw a few flakes of snow this morning and both my kids went mad when walking in it , no settling either , some of us guys in the southeast of England have resorted to looking in this thread for our fix so thanks for the pics everyone, one day we might have another decent event its been more than 5 years now . Hope you all enjoyed .

Regards Mark 

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

PS: saw this travelsize snawman on my travels on Friday. 10/10 for effort! IMG_20180119_0921497.thumb.jpg.55d9725707e7c671360381c3fc6bf8fe.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

my last post has been hidden?????

That'll be the swear filter. I've approved it, and I see you edited it to remove the offending word, but the system will send posts with certain swear words to the team for approval. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

That'll be the swear filter. I've approved it, and I see you edited it to remove the offending word, but the system will send posts with certain swear words to the team for approval. 

Isn't the whole point of a swear filter so that those words are just replaced with something else and it lessens the moderation work for the admins? 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Even the Ireland thread awoke from deep slumber, never seen it so busy! It’s been hard keeping up with it all, we were all getting excited over some wet snow today in SE pathetic, I’m sure you folk wouldn’t bat an eyelid. :D 

I don’t feel you lot especially will have to wait especially long, next week by and large isn’t looking overly mild the weekend is and more benign conditions look to take hold, I can’t see this being a lengthy stretch. This winter the big theme has for mild periods modelled to get smaller and smaller, I feel next cold spell will pop up short notice, winter is far from done it’s just got going especially in Scotland. While I’d say it’s been a pretty ‘meh’ winter for me so far and us southerners, there’s something different about this winter you can just feel it. 

Yes there is something different about this winter and this last  very wintry week .The main point being that the cold came in on a westerly wind giving powder snow showers, ice days ,thundersnow in the west, fantastic arctic skies and cloudscapes and to top it all today quite a few areas of  purple freezing rain on the radar.

Its still only 1.5c here with extremely icy surfaces.

A couple of reasons possibly are the very meridional jet stream and my own strong belief that a  quieter sun is having an effect too driving the jetstream on a more southerly route.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Another great winters day even though we only got about 1cm from the front which came over. Cannae complain as there is the best part of a foot O' snaw lying here.

It has however been steady drizzle now for aboot 3hrs, but strangely not having any impact at the moment oan the lying snaw, even on the trees?

Maybe something that our more techy guys can comment on?

A couple o' pics to show the snaw still well intact!

Fkn camera oan the tablet taking pics side oan. grr.

Big Innes

IMG_20180121_202254.jpg

IMG_20180121_202123.jpg

IMG_20180121_202036.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Another great winters day even though we only got about 1cm from the front which came over. Cannae complain as there is the best part of a foot O' snaw lying here.

It has however been steady drizzle now for aboot 3hrs, but strangely not having any impact at the moment oan the lying snaw, even on the trees?

Maybe something that our more techy guys can comment on?

A couple o' pics to show the snaw still well intact!

Fkn camera oan the tablet taking pics side oan. grr.

Big Innes

IMG_20180121_202254.jpg

IMG_20180121_202123.jpg

IMG_20180121_202036.jpg

looking at these pictures made me feel even more jaffa cakesed lol...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
9 minutes ago, More Snow said:

looking at these pictures made me feel even more jaffa cakesed lol...

Ye need tae change yer name tae Mair Snaw ?

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

drip drip and rain now

been epic for here for a westerly.... wouldnt normally call a few cms several times epic but when u go a few years with nowt u appreciate it and the conditions were so good yesterday for sledging we even got the 1 year old niece out sledging and noone was cold.... it was stunning in the Sun

thread has been great fun so heres hoping Daniel* is correct and we get at least one more widespread decent spell

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Drip drip here too with snow sliding off various things and cars, snow on drive where car went over is now big puddles under it. Hope it's gone by morning, hate slush, especially on a Monday morning lol.

Posted

Has been quite a spell, still 23cm lying here although starting to get moist on top.

Anyone fancy a who can keep snow for the longest competition?

Only downside for me is that I had to enjoy most of the big falls on radar from my concrete box at work. Did enjoy some snowy motorway trips getting there and back though.

And see pictures like this of my boy out playing while I work. 

camjump.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, scottishandy said:

Has been quite a spell, still 23cm lying here although starting to get moist on top.

Anyone fancy a who can keep snow for the longest competition?

Only downside for me is that I had to enjoy most of the big falls on radar from my concrete box at work. Did enjoy some snowy motorway trips getting there and back though.

And see pictures like this of my boy out playing while I work. 

camjump.jpg

I've put some in the freezer! (Very old Beano joke) :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

3B3AB7B9-325B-446A-9538-490173A838C1.thumb.png.6a9b66c21114039c545b15ce721f45f0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

now @scottishandyif you had suggested earlier today i would have had the kids build the snow pile up..... i will still play though :D

Posted
6 hours ago, edo said:

now @scottishandyif you had suggested earlier today i would have had the kids build the snow pile up..... i will still play though :D

It would be a brave man to bet against @Northern Strath although @shuggee might provide some stiff competition?

Frosty start here, currently 1c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Right, I don’t want to cause any alarm so early on a Monday Morning BUT.............

Weve has a theft!!! Some sneaky so and so has sneaked around overnight and pinched all my snow...

Booo..... if it hadn’t been for Mr Snowman( who looking decidedly worse for wear) you wouldn’t know what a great day yesterday was....

Still, there’s always the memories:sorry:

Posted

Really looking forward to work this morning and having to deal with the "at least it's milder" brigade :cray:

Edited by 101_North