Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
42 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

On clear nights like this cold air sinks to lower ground so glens will be colder than hillsides and even low-lying coastal areas will be colder than surrounding hills provided there is no onshore breeze. That’s why the coldest temperatures recorded in Scotland have been in places like Braemar and Altnaharra and not at the summit of the Cairngorms or Ben Nevis.

Thanks, that makes sense!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 18z for Friday!

E6A5D29C-EED1-471D-886B-385DC54624BF.thumb.png.8ac6e89a6dcc72596fb66b91d3c7248c.png

back in winters deep cold air ! 

nice Steve.... a sane voice of the model thread coming here to update us is a nice new plan..... 

hopefully a trend and not just a pub run special..... the kids are looking at me quite sadly as i tild them tonight to make the most of the snow tomorrow because it will all be going and who knows when it will come back. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Just been back out to pick up my daughter from her day out and the car display was showing -10 Deg C on the Forestmill to Saline road!

Big Innes

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Hawsey thanks for that explanation of cold, we were wondering why sometimes we've been warmer here than a lot of places when usually we're colder. Was minus 3 here this morning, still got 7inches lying frozen snow and about a million hungry birds in the back garden. Sky is milk white so I don't know if that means we'll get more today, but I'd be happy with snaw until April :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

one final hurrah today.... looking quite slow moving on the euro4 

Screenshot_20180121-085644.png

• Like 4

Posted
On 18/01/2018 at 19:49, More Snow said:

You've over done mine by 1cm....lol

Snowing in Ayr first of the winter I’ve seen proper flakes sticking aswell such a shame it will be short lived 

ps sorry more snow I don’t why I keep quoting u I can’t delte it when I go to reply on thread 

• Like 4

Posted

Still sitting at -2.5c here as the cloud cover is building. Hopeful of seeing a few flakes falling before the inevitable change.

Edit: Someone might have to explain why there appears to be less snow on the ground than last evening despite temps well below freezing! Could be my imagination....

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Fingers crossed for a wee bit snow today . 

Ps did anyone find out why some of us can’t post pictures ?is it a problem from iPhone ? My photo was 2.2mb but would t upload . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
11 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 18z for Friday!

E6A5D29C-EED1-471D-886B-385DC54624BF.thumb.png.8ac6e89a6dcc72596fb66b91d3c7248c.png

back in winters deep cold air ! 

Well that would be a nice surprise if it came to fruition but we'll see.

Might need another few weeks before we're back in the cold stuff. It was a fortnight between our last snowfall on Dec 29th and the start of this cold spell.

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowy owl said:

Fingers crossed for a wee bit snow today . 

Ps did anyone find out why some of us can’t post pictures ?is it a problem from iPhone ? My photo was 2.2mb but would t upload . 

I had issues on Android on anything over 2mb for some reason. Laptop was always ok. I downloaded a resizer app on my phone which brings everything down to well under 1mb but still a decent enough quality for the forum. I'm sure there'll be a similar app for iPhone. More of a workaround than a solution....

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I had issues on Android on anything over 2mb for some reason. Laptop was always ok. I downloaded a resizer app on my phone which brings everything down to well under 1mb but still a decent enough quality for the forum. I'm sure there'll be a similar app for iPhone. More of a workaround than a solution....

Good plan,the other option is to take a sceeenshot but not as good. 

Posted
28 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Still sitting at -2.5c here as the cloud cover is building. Hopeful of seeing a few flakes falling before the inevitable change.

Edit: Someone might have to explain why there appears to be less snow on the ground than last evening despite temps well below freezing! Could be my imagination....

"Sublimation "in a word when water in its solid state ice or snow goes straight to its gaseous state bypassing the liquid state (water) .It happens when tempertures and humidities are very  low which happen much more in late winter especially February and March.You can see the effect on the roads when even if the banks have snowcover the road surface becomes bone dry.If this goes on for a few days even the banks of snow start to evaporate into the air. Farmers love this effect as the ground is left dry ready for spring sowing. 

For instance this morning the RH is 20% so plenty of space for water vapour and our thin snow cover has been shrinking every day too. Currently overcast and  -2c  with a low of -5c overnight

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

"Sublimation "in a word when water in its solid state ice or snow goes straight to its gaseous state bypassing the liquid state (water) .It happens when tempertures and humidities are very  low which happen much more in late winter especially February and March.You can see the effect on the roads when even if the banks have snowcover the road surface becomes bone dry.If this goes on for a few days even the banks of snow start to evaporate into the air. Farmers love this effect as the ground is left dry ready for spring sowing. 

Thanks for the info. I've learned something new again :). It's not a huge loss of snow but noticeable on the hard surfaces especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Snowing here now, very lightly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Heavy snow -1.5c, even snowing down on the coast apparently!

Posted

Heavy snow. Snowing settlong on top of 2 previous snow events, I can't remember the last time that happened! 

• Like 7

Posted

The automated nonsense forecast looks great for some snow before the rain :D

Screenshot_20180121-111607.thumb.jpg.5f6f4281e961ef38039d9271de9c33c0.jpg

(But......30mins ago it was all sleet and rain LOL)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1