Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Another heavy snow shower just passed here giving the cars and roads another covering, not that there is much left to cover :)

Anyone have any idea how Sunday will pan out? How long will the snow last before turning to rain etc? 

14 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We'll have more idea by tomorrow morning once it's within range of the Euro4. At the moment the GFS seems to smash the precipitation as it heads north-east with the north getting a spell of heavy snow and the south not getting much at all. 

Maybe I get some before the great thaw of 2018 kicks in.. shall have the BBQ out on Tuesday and Wednesday by the look of it. not been in the nut house thread all week so no idea when the next cold spell is coming. ive really not missed the petty squabbling but need to know when the next cold spell will happen. I do hope that the uppers wont be an issue and or the lack of cold in Europe and don't get me started on that Azores High that just wont bugger off to Greenland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

No sledge sledging on Luncarty ice slope.... fortunately no video of when i stepped on the ice to check it out and tumbled to the bottom of the hill 

20180119_174307_1.mp4

• Like 7

Posted

Just been outside for an admittedly beer-fuelled run around in 37cm of snow. Absolutely knackered now and with a chafed ankle from ma wellies.

Brilliant!!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

very decent surprise shower just now..... glueing to the cars which were cleared juat beautifully 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
4 minutes ago, moffatross said:

I was working in Peebles today, and took the road east out of Moffat, past St Mary's and over to Innerleithen via the Gordon Arms in the morning. On the way past the Grey Mare's Tail, I stopped for a couple of photos. On the way home tonight, I went via Stobo and Broughton and put the camera on a tripod for a long exposure of the lonely and abandoned Crook Inn at Tweedsmuir. Thought I'd give them all a b/w rendering as none of the light was particularly colourful. Anyhoo, there's a lot of snow out there :)

http://rossofmoffat.com/albums/midwinter-snow/

180119-3,xlarge.1516402745.jpg

180119-2,xlarge.1516402832.jpg

180119-4,xlarge.1516403106.jpg

Excellent - photo two enlarged is like Interstellar!!

• Like 4

Posted

Interesting, appears that it will track almost due east from that position. Could be a very decent addition in some places over the next wee while 

IMG_7806.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
44 minutes ago, edo said:

very decent surprise shower just now..... glueing to the cars which were cleared juat beautifully 

Even more surprising. It reached here too. Not heavy but nice to see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
8 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Interesting, appears that it will track almost due east from that position. Could be a very decent addition in some places over the next wee while 

Must have got another few cm here form tonight’s showers. The work car park was clear when I came in at 6pm now it’s looking beautiful again :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Shower still on here. Nice feathery flakes gently falling. Hope it makes it across the few miles to Hawesy!

image.jpg

Some weird cylindrical space ships have appeared above the house across the road or I have drunk too much wine.

Edited by Norrance
Additional comment
  • Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, Norrance said:

Shower still on here. Nice feathery flakes gently falling. Hope it makes it across the few miles to Hawesy!

image.jpg

Some weird cylindrical space ships have appeared above the house across the road or I have drunk too much wine.

Yeah that shower gave a dusting here! :)

Heading out shortly for a walk....somewhere snowy!

@moffatross Great photos!

• Like 2

Posted

Nice wee surprise covering overnight. Only about a cm or so but everything white and looking great!

• Like 4

Posted

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a bit of help, looking to take my son to play in the snow and a bit of walking. Looking for a region that will still have deep snow, any suggestions not too bothered if we need to travel, currently in cumbernauld.

thanks

Posted

Another fine frosty start to the day at -3c

Snow showers to the north again. A bit of spring light starting to show giving these amazing colours. 20180120_092457.thumb.jpg.5e5b471a0135f47e6ab785ada698ba80.jpg

Slight change of wind sending showers in the North Sea onto the Abedeenshire Coast.20180120_092438.thumb.jpg.4f87f55098e5a8ec0d63601e11c8705d.jpgSeeing these showers off on the horizon always reminds me of spring as this is usually our last view of a cold spell as it moves east before milder weather moves in.

Another point to consider with regards to liking snow or hating it is that a lot of farmers especially with livestock spend the summer securing feed for when it arrives so it has an economic impact too.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

WRF/NMM view of tomorrow.. Arpege still rolling out the 06z and Euro 4 to follow.

tempresult_kzl3.thumb.gif.dbb68c14e1da35c0cef96fa717e68bd5.gif

Arpege

tempresult_oqu1.thumb.gif.9c311a0e8e804571082d1759a2e6ec9b.gif

Edited by lorenzo
Adding Arpege gif
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, overlander said:

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a bit of help, looking to take my son to play in the snow and a bit of walking. Looking for a region that will still have deep snow, any suggestions not too bothered if we need to travel, currently in cumbernauld.

thanks

Aye as Catch says, we still have plenty of snow lying on the grass etc here in shotts, the side roads have about half a foot, albeit it's thick ice underneath and then snow on top. I believe strathaven got a fair dumping yesterday and also Lanark where there's plenty of walks and the new Lanark sight near the waterfall etc. If you want the deepest snow, then down the M74 in the D and G direction to the likes of broughton or eskdalemuir, elvanfoot. Or wanlockhead in the leadhills from I gather has an absolute ton of snow. If it was me, I'd be heading for the leadhills I think. 

Edited by Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, overlander said:

Hi Everyone,

thanks

Head out the Fintry Road towards the Carron Water, plenty of snow, woods and slopes, or head up to Palacerigg and along to Fanny Loch.

Posted

Risked using m74, then a71 last night to go visiting someone. I've always managed to drive quite well in bad conditions and this was definitely that! Nothing like striking black ice at on m74 60+mph, trick is to not brake or steer as that will cause spin out, just take foot off gas; at one point there was a convoy of trucks and cars doing 20mph and the traction was awful even on less incline bits of road. 

A truck had jacknifed into barrier, and a guy had spun out 180 into hard shoulder. Still getting idiots flying past like there isn't a problem.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like it's going to be an interesting time tomorrow morning - just a pity the rain comes in on the back of it.