Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Can the prediction man do a quick one for Motherwell and Kilmarnock if he can find the time? That would be nice of him :-) 

If he is too busy making calculations for Piers Corbyn or whatever then fair enough. 

Posted
8 hours ago, snowidea said:

@Hawesy. I'll take 4cm as we've still a fair bit lying from Wednesday. Thanks for the prediction. I absolutely have to be in work tomorrow so actually hoping it won't be too bad on the M9 to Edinburgh around 9.00 if anyone can fix this for me :D

Just use reverse psychology (say I cant wait, i bet there will be lots of snow) - always works !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
21 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

Perth get any? 

@hawesy generously has predicted 2cm but i predict a dusting.... fingers crossed for more ?

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Stuart Taylor said:

Can the prediction man do a quick one for Motherwell and Kilmarnock if he can find the time? That would be nice of him :-) 

I know Motherwell and Wishaw well, as my grandparents lived there. :) There was often a real difference in snowfall with Wishaw being that bit higher up. Anyway I would guess 5cm for Motherwell. Kilmarnock I’m not familiar with but I know from this thread it’s not a town that usually catches much snow. Let’s go with 2cm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Back by public demand (well, because @Ruzzi asked :D) here is another wild guess prediction for snowfall totals through to Midnight tomorrow. This is additional snowfall (i.e. in addition to whatever you may have on the ground already). I thought Catch summed it up well when he said a slightly less spectacular version of the Tuesday/Wednesday event, but some are bound to do slightly better! For newer thread folks not on the list, apologies I’m just not familiar with your location. As always just for fun!

@aggy 1cm 

@More Snow 1cm (sorry mate - same as last time!!)

@edo 2cm (I may be being hopeful here)

@Stormeh 10cm

@Ravelin None (again, too far east! :sorry:)

@Blitzen 6cm

@Norrance 1cm (think I may move to the Borders :D)

@Ruzzi 14cm

@snowidea 4cm

@101_North 2cm (still, 2 more than me!)

@CatchMyDrift 2cm

@Hairy Celt 3cm

@scottish skier 5cm

@GraemeB 6cm

@moffatross 12cm

@snowy owl None :closedeyes:

@mardatha 15cm 

@mistyqueen 2cm

@grifter 6cm

@Northernlights 5cm

@Northern Strath 15cm (not making that mistake again!)

@NorthernRab 8cm

@Benvironment 6cm

@Polar Gael 13cm

@shuggee 15cm

@Cheggers 10cm

@NUT 12cm

@Kayemill 12cm

and, it goes without saying:

@Hawesy Zilch 

1cm now stop it your just being generous 

currently raining ?

Edited by aggy
  • Like 1

Posted

There was still a good covering on the grass and some other surfaces, patchy covering on roofs and barely any on walls and trees but now everything is back to white with heavy snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Decent snow starting to get going now, everything frozen solid before the shower started so sticking to everything and starting to cover the compacted snow and ice on the road, gonna be lethal with some decent snowfall on top of a thick layer of compacted snow and ice 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I know Motherwell and Wishaw well, as my grandparents lived there. :) There was often a real difference in snowfall with Wishaw being that bit higher up. Anyway I would guess 5cm for Motherwell. Kilmarnock I’m not familiar with but I know from this thread it’s not a town that usually catches much snow. Let’s go with 2cm.

Thanks, I will leave the snow shovel ans food supplies at home for my commute tomorrow then :-D 

Posted

Yep fairly coming down, good precursor for tomorrow morning hopefully. 

Lampost video

\/\/\/\/

IMG_7760.MP4

And current state of the road, solid lumps of ice and snow, 5 inches thick in some parts and now with between 1/2 an inch - an inch of fresh cover from this prolonged shower. Another 10 mins and it'll be an inch of fresh cover from this prolonged shower 

IMG_7761.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking at last years farm diary and year ago today it was 10c(this year a max of 1.5c) with daffs showing a couple of inches above the ground, this year only just breaking the surface and snowdrops were flowering, there is only one this year  next to warmth of waste pipe from bathroom.Ground too was pretty dry and we started crossing fields to remove stones. Far too wet and frozen this year to even think of crossing..What a difference a year makes.! Currently a small flurry and -2c

• Like 2

Posted

It's raining here, and I am at 130 metres. :nea:

The Killie snowshield must be fully extended.

Edited by JamesM

Posted

Had a wee bit more graupel there, don't know where all this snow is coming from everyone reporting, radar looks guff.

Posted
9 minutes ago, grifter said:

Had a wee bit more graupel there, don't know where all this snow is coming from everyone reporting, radar looks guff.

Well mines was from this 

IMG_7762.PNG

Lasted just shy of an hour 

Edited by Ruzzi

Posted
1 minute ago, Rickoza said:

Motherwell snowfall tomorrow?   Asking for a friend.....-)

Yes I would think so, potentially very disruptive in the morning, I would think a few inches wouldn't be out of the question so long as it's not too wet being at a lower elevation. Haven't checked myself but I believe the conditions look fine for snow to modest levels 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Last night's snow never looked like it was coming north despite the best wishes and hopes of people on here, including me. The band was rotating across the front which some people mistook for northwards progression. The Amber warning looked too far north as soon as it was released, hardly any of the latest charts took the precip as far north. Having said that the end result was the heaviest snow went slightly south, it could have just as easily jogged north like the big miss I had at the start of last year (think back to my snow measuring stick).

It's ironic here that we did so well off the showers the other night then the storm I had pinned my hopes to has melted half my snow. Always next time and an easterly sounds good now @snowy owl

Yeah got a fair bit back home I’m reliably informed. Unfortunately wi-fi is too poor to post videos but i’ll try later on to 

Nothing much here in Kincardine but tomorrow may deliver a bit more...

Posted
8 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

Well mines was from this 

IMG_7762.PNG

Lasted just shy of an hour 

Seen that on Raintoday.co.uk, looks like it skirted slightly North of here and I got about 10 mins graupel from it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Reporting Scotland forecast on BBC around 10mins ago had much of the central belt under blob of snow (and also south of central belt) from around 5am to 10am. Surprised the warning level hasn't been revised with biggest impact at rush hour.

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 1