Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
50 minutes ago, 101_North said:

OK - so the data hadn't updated even though the timestamp had - edited my post above with the updated charts. Some differences but still looking good. 

Ahh I see that, not gonna complain, still looking very promising for here, measuring sticks at the ready ??

Posted
21 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Convenient to have someone to blame for what was really a Met-Office failure:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2107209/humza-yousaf-apology-transport-minister-m74-snow-weather-chaos/

It's going to be the same overnight into tomorrow with a bucket of snow for the M74. No proper warning again. Whose fault will it be by Friday afternoon? I know this is not the politics thread but really? 

In all honesty, they got lucky that it hit the M74 which despite being a major route isnt as busy as say the mate/M77/M80 in the areas worst affected and is well stocked with gritters. It was also a lot warmer than 2010 so grit actually worked properly  when it was put down. 

After 2010, they said that they would stack lorries to prevent them causing chaos (they didn't)  and stockpile grit in key areas at the side of the road(they haven't) , they did this for 2 or 3 winters after 2010  and then forgot about it.  If we don't invest money in winter resilience because it's so variable, the only option is to stop people travelling unless they have winter tyres/snow chains or 4WD. Nothing else is really going to work as the roads are so busy.. 

Latest BBC weather is saying persistent  snow for the Central belt, in the morning...  and then the afternoon...  to all levels particularly calling out the M74.  Still no Amber warning because somebody is worried they over egged last night (which I don't blame them for) .. And it'll cause a 24hour level 4 travel warning. In all honestly, any heavy snow with anywhere near 10cm plus is going to cause chaos on the busy motorways (never mind the 40cm which has already fallen) with people getting stuck for hours... Amber or red in my opinion, but it's easy for me to say!

Police Scotland also on the TV blaming people not knowing how to drive to the conditions because they live in the south. Pretty sure Aberdeen had been in chaos the last time they got decent snow! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Wasn't part of the issue with Stewart Stevenson in 2010 that he tried to maintain that everyone had done a great job and there hadn't been any problems, when folk had got stuck on the M80 overnight? Whilst sometimes these things happen I think he maybe didn't help himself at the time, whereas Humza Yousaf seems quite alert to the risk of falling into a similar trap. He's also very active on social media when it comes to relaying travel advice so he can't ever be accused of being negligent in that regard.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Cheers @Hawesy - will bank that once again! :good:

Bring it! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Back by public demand (well, because @Ruzzi asked :D) here is another wild guess prediction for snowfall totals through to Midnight tomorrow. This is additional snowfall (i.e. in addition to whatever you may have on the ground already). I thought Catch summed it up well when he said a slightly less spectacular version of the Tuesday/Wednesday event, but some are bound to do slightly better! For newer thread folks not on the list, apologies I’m just not familiar with your location. As always just for fun!

@aggy 1cm 

@More Snow 1cm (sorry mate - same as last time!!)

@edo 2cm (I may be being hopeful here)

@Stormeh 10cm

@Ravelin None (again, too far east! :sorry:)

@Blitzen 6cm

@Norrance 1cm (think I may move to the Borders :D)

@Ruzzi 14cm

@snowidea 4cm

@101_North 2cm (still, 2 more than me!)

@CatchMyDrift 2cm

@Hairy Celt 3cm

@scottish skier 5cm

@GraemeB 6cm

@moffatross 12cm

@snowy owl None :closedeyes:

@mardatha 15cm 

@mistyqueen 2cm

@grifter 6cm

@Northernlights 5cm

@Northern Strath 15cm (not making that mistake again!)

@NorthernRab 8cm

@Benvironment 6cm

@Polar Gael 13cm

@shuggee 15cm

@Cheggers 10cm

@NUT 12cm

and, it goes without saying:

@Hawesy Zilch 

Superb, makes for an extra bit of fun tomorrow and it is very much appreciated that you took the time to do it / bowed to the pressure (sorry ?). 

Will be a very intriguing watch and I'd take 14cm once again, would definitely take the depth in the garden to up beyond a foot after some melt today. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

i will take the 2cm and snap your hand off..... could be right though as had around 4cm the other day and this is looking less potent for here so a nice 50% less prediction

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Thanks @Hawesy:D

I can’t view any charts in work, what time are the showers expected to pick up? 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Superb, makes for an extra bit of fun tomorrow and it is very much appreciated that you took the time to do it / bowed to the pressure (sorry ?). 

Will be a very intriguing watch and I'd take 14cm once again, would definitely take the depth in the garden to up beyond a foot after some melt today. 

Me, zilch. :D

I'm quite pleased that the SE "grumpies" protect from WNW incoming blows.:sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You said 6cm for me last time and I got 6 inches so if your scale is similarly wrong again I'll get 2 inches. I don't deserve any after Tuesday night although the sad truth is that despite all the snow at my house in recent times I've been at work in a building with hardly any windows every time it's snowed. 

Yeah, I think I did much better with the Central Belt than to the north or south, not surprising I suppose as I’m more familiar with the geography. It’s really tricky in showery set ups because if banding sets up one area gets pummelled while just down the road misses out. Anyway it’s just a laugh and adds a bit of interest for me tomorrow since I won’t have any snow of my own! :D

@Stormeh I think the heavier showers will get going after Midnight?

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Back by public demand (well, because @Ruzzi asked :D) here is another wild guess prediction for snowfall totals through to Midnight tomorrow. This is additional snowfall (i.e. in addition to whatever you may have on the ground already). I thought Catch summed it up well when he said a slightly less spectacular version of the Tuesday/Wednesday event, but some are bound to do slightly better! For newer thread folks not on the list, apologies I’m just not familiar with your location. As always just for fun!

@aggy 1cm 

@Stormeh 10cm

@Blitzen 6cm

@Ruzzi 14cm

@snowidea 4cm

@CatchMyDrift 2cm

@Hairy Celt 3cm

@scottish skier 5cm

@GraemeB 6cm

@moffatross 12cm

@mardatha 15cm 

@mistyqueen 2cm

@grifter 6cm

@Northernlights 5cm

@NorthernRab 8cm

@Benvironment 6cm

@Polar Gael 13cm

@shuggee 15cm

@Cheggers 10cm

@NUT 12cm

@Kayemill 12cm

@Hawesy Zilch 

I hope your right. Thanks for including me. Street actually got ploughed today. We've had some snizzle already so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, ciel said:

Me, zilch. :D

I'm quite pleased that the SE "grumpies" protect from WNW incoming blows.:sorry:

Yeah, unfortunately hard to see anything making it over. 

32 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

@aggy 1cm 

@Stormeh 10cm

@Blitzen 6cm

@Ruzzi 14cm

@snowidea 4cm

@CatchMyDrift 2cm

@Hairy Celt 3cm

@scottish skier 5cm

@GraemeB 6cm

@moffatross 12cm

@mardatha 15cm 

@mistyqueen 2cm

@grifter 6cm

@Northernlights 5cm

@NorthernRab 8cm

@Benvironment 6cm

@Polar Gael 13cm

@shuggee 15cm

@Cheggers 10cm

@NUT 12cm

@Kayemill 12cm

@Hawesy Zilch 

You've over done mine by 1cm....lol

Posted
4 hours ago, Stuart Taylor said:

Why does the met office forecast change all the time? Is it all automated and slight variations throughout the day will alter things? I keep giving up on anything happening tonight in Motherwell then getting hopeful again, I'm up and down like a trampoline here! 

I have the same question. Every time I look it shows something different. Given their performance last night it may be best to ignore and go with the radar and what is actually falling from the sky. 

Posted

A nice wee report on Channel 4 News there with Alex Thomson in Leadhills and Wanlockhead - looking more like somewhere in Scandinavia or Canada with a foot or so of snow round the villages and covering the golf course.  Can be seen again on C4+1 starting at about 8.45pm.

Some pretty scary footage of the high winds in the Netherlands too.

• Like 2

Posted

In the interest of balance, :D, I can't wait for signs of spring. 

Actually, it was a bright day here, today. I heard a Bluetit singing, when out walking with doggie, which reminded me to clear out the birdbox soon.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Would this be a yellow warning?:wink: :rofl:

Is that outside the Burns Mall in killie?

Edit: my mistake. 

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Is that outside the Burns Mall in killie?

I'm not sure, I can't see the junkies because of the snow!  

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well Hawesy had me down for 8cm last time which is just over 3" and I got 4".   Well done to him!

This time 6cms so I must be looking at almost 2 1/2"..........  That'll do!:)

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

@Hawesy. I'll take 4cm as we've still a fair bit lying from Wednesday. Thanks for the prediction. I absolutely have to be in work tomorrow so actually hoping it won't be too bad on the M9 to Edinburgh around 9.00 if anyone can fix this for me :D

• Like 1