Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Was raining for a while in Glasgow there, and it looks like any upcoming falls will be of rain, certainly during the day.

A feature of today has been people from just outside the city who have struggled to believe how little snow there is in the city centre. Never cease to be amazed by Glasgow’s little microclimate at times like this, but it also reveals the logic in why a city developed here in the first place. 

I think that's the case with most UK cities, the actual city centres rarely see lying snow for very long.It's probably more to do with the constant traffic and heat coming from the buildings as well as the fact that there's not many big open grassy areas where the snow can easily settle rather than location.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
10 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

I think that's the case with most UK cities, the actual city centres rarely see lying snow for very long.It's probably more to do with the constant traffic and heat coming from the buildings as well as the fact that there's not many big open grassy areas where the snow can easily settle rather than location.

I think you’re right for the reasons you say, but also with Glasgow there seems to be a regular difference between the inner city and the very outskirts, some of which down to the factors you pointed out, but Glasgow’s location allows it to miss some of the worst weather that hits its own higher suburbs. It’s in a valley, close to sea level, meaning that precipitation is generally lower, and it’s sheltered from the worst incoming weather from almost every direction due to the surrounding higher ground. I’d hazard a guess that even rainfall totals differ quite a bit between the inner city and somewhere like Neilston or Airdrie.

and by inner city, I would include places like Mount Florida, or the West End so not always full of traffic and with some open spaces, but yes, you’re right in that lying snow amounts will be less even there due to the urban heat island.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Couple of charts ahead of an interesting watch on the system coming through.

First the AMBER warning.. ironic hand clap given have seen written off cars, pics above of lorries driving into houses :cc_confused: , MOUNTAIN RESCUE on the M74.. What? Mountain Rescue??? Madness. Good we have Luke Snowalker and other crazy gritters to detract from the monster clusterfunk that warning issuance was.

image.thumb.png.5e967d379d64f6c3c6890d37a0befc7d.png

Arome flight path for the system as of 2100 - and from here will be interesting to see how the models fair vs the warning area above.

image.thumb.png.9ba232baf24151f4773a32aa7c6c549e.png

RGB Airmass and also the SNAW variable on Eumetsat..

image.thumb.png.dc6528f655295f2b7249ae25cc807ef4.pngimage.thumb.png.8f97289a05ad0073a10806c7b486d966.png

Accumulations by 0500

Arpege / EURO4 WRF 

image.thumb.png.fab2a08b352d7d55eed7bc1a8245eb49.pngimage.thumb.png.0afcbdb1e6b957963fef2788911f68cc.pngimage.thumb.png.71df8238e1cfae00f6d3402cc047f8b9.png

NetWx Model across the early hours.

nmmuk3hrprecip.png (835×715)nmmuk3hrprecip.png (835×715)

So, who wins.... :)

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The Met Office are forecasting heavy snow here tonight but I just don’t see it making it this far north.

Posted

Latest radar has it 200 miles west over NI and as far north as the central belt.  And it's 'growing' ENE.  It also appears to be 2 hours ahead of modelling, so who knows!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, mardatha said:

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just a narrowing of the throat so good news after all that horrible waiting :D

Snow down in Gala and Melrose was about 8 inches, and severe weather warning out for us tonight I think. It can snow till June now for me lol cos we been to the hosp and he's ok :yahoo:

That's great news :D

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Couple of charts ahead of an interesting watch on the system coming through.

First the AMBER warning.. ironic hand clap given have seen written off cars, pics above of lorries driving into houses :cc_confused: , MOUNTAIN RESCUE on the M74.. What? Mountain Rescue??? Madness. Good we have Luke Snowalker and other crazy gritters to detract from the monster clusterfunk that warning issuance was.

image.thumb.png.5e967d379d64f6c3c6890d37a0befc7d.png

Arome flight path for the system as of 2100 - and from here will be interesting to see how the models fair vs the warning area above.

image.thumb.png.9ba232baf24151f4773a32aa7c6c549e.png

RGB Airmass and also the SNAW variable on Eumetsat..

image.thumb.png.dc6528f655295f2b7249ae25cc807ef4.pngimage.thumb.png.8f97289a05ad0073a10806c7b486d966.png

Accumulations by 0500

Arpege / EURO4 WRF 

image.thumb.png.fab2a08b352d7d55eed7bc1a8245eb49.pngimage.thumb.png.0afcbdb1e6b957963fef2788911f68cc.pngimage.thumb.png.71df8238e1cfae00f6d3402cc047f8b9.png

NetWx Model across the early hours.

nmmuk3hrprecip.png (835×715)nmmuk3hrprecip.png (835×715)

So, who wins.... :)

Which ever ones is best for here ?

Posted

Happy a few of my wild guesses, I mean highly-skilled predictions, on snow totals turned out right! Obviously others were slightly off the mark but it was all just good fun.

I did see some snow on my trip to Edinburgh today which was nice. In fact because I like to get out walking I’ve experienced plenty of snow this winter....just not at home! And you know nothing beats snow at home!:)

Judging by the forecasts I’ll be too far north to benefit from tonight’s event so the wait will go on! Feeling a bit lonely now, I think nearly everyone else on the thread has now at least seen some kind of accumulating snowfall this winter? :D

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
57 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Latest radar has it 200 miles west over NI and as far north as the central belt.  And it's 'growing' ENE.  It also appears to be 2 hours ahead of modelling, so who knows!

Here is the Norway Satellite alongside the surface plot and links if you want to geek it up and track it in..!

image.thumb.png.92bba1f9d3c1a850fba0ca9ffd6b0b1b.png

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa.html

http://meteocentre.com/analysis/map-surface.php?map=eur_full&date=2018011717&size=large&lang=en&area=eur

• Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

magic news @mardatha that makes up for my snow covering disappearing like snaw aff a dyke and me being too far North for any more action... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Come on ya bass, get a bit further north!

IMG_7727.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
3 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Come on ya bass, get a bit further north!

IMG_7727.PNG

I know! It’s just a bawhair away! Please push further north or am I being greedy? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@Stormeh in model thread :hi:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

@Hawesy. Didn't measure my snow but think it might have been a little (but not by much) higher than 8cm, it came to the top of my Uggs just outside the house. Fab prediction. 

Couple of pics from the walk to the school bus this morning. 

DSC_1044.JPG

_20180117_173420.JPG

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowidea said:

@Hawesy. Didn't measure my snow but think it might have been a little (but not by much) higher than 8cm, it came to the top of my Uggs just outside the house. Fab prediction. 

Few pics from the walk to the school bus this morning. 

_20180117_063540.JPG

DSC_1044.JPG

_20180117_173420.JPG

On my phone screen that last thumbnail looks like a massive ostrich has invaded Falkirk:rofl:

Edited by 101_North

Posted
40 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think the heaviest snow will stay fairly far south, I don't think it'll reach me. It'll be south of an imaginery west-east line through Ayr.

Aye think you're spot on there, I just watched a few forecasts and they mentioned disruptive snowfall from hamilton southwards, which is about a half mile north of me, albeit a few miles to the west and they kept stressing the uncertainty regarding the northward extent. But I do agree, think the bulk of the precipitation is southern borders bound. Maybe I'll get a wee inch or 2 though. 

Thursday into Friday looking a bit tasty now though, can see another amber in the pipeline for it in similar areas to last night...

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I'm right on the edge of the amber area here in Motherwell but the hourly forecast has only a couple of hours of light snow around 1-3 am so i can't see much more than another dusting on top of what's still on the ground.BBC have a few hrs of heavy ish snow in the early hours of Friday possibly into the rush hour so agree with the above, if it's still the same this time tomorrow it'll surely be another amber.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Aye think you're spot on there, I just watched a few forecasts and they mentioned disruptive snowfall from hamilton southwards, which is about a half mile north of me, albeit a few miles to the west and they kept stressing the uncertainty regarding the northward extent. But I do agree, think the bulk of the precipitation is southern borders bound. Maybe I'll get a wee inch or 2 though. 

Thursday into Friday looking a bit tasty now though, can see another amber in the pipeline for it in similar areas to last night...

If that happens I plan to sue you, @shuggee @mardatha and a few others for unfair hogging of snowfall during the winter of 2017/18. It will be like the old 7:84 campaign. 7% of the population owns 84% of the snowfall and it’s just not right! :D

Posted

Looking at the radar I could do with that top part of the incoming front intensifying as that looks like the only route to any snowfall for here - albeit probably light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just stopping by to say 'you jammy beggars' :D Enjoy!

• Like 6