Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Perth folks....

- im at work at the high end of Scone and the snow is very heavy and my car is already totally caked and I have to get down an untreated and unploughed hill IF i went home early. Is it the same in Perth or is this just a Scone thing?

was heavy in Perth too and lying but as soon as sun came out its melting on roads so all good for travel and hopefully all good for my garden and bike sledge cul de sac arena being topped up 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

that moment you check the model thread and only 3 pages since last evening whilst you enjoy a snowy spell

gulp 

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Warnings updated! Amber for a large part of Southern Scotland. Many members could have some serious snow depths by tomorrow morning! My area is in the yellow zone but honestly expecting hee haw this far north of the low. If it happens to be 50-100 miles further north when it arrives then game on! 

Heavy snow showers all morning here. There's around  20-30 cm depth, but in between the heavy stuff, the snow has turned sleety and the depth compacts a little. I've been slowly clearing the dirt track to our place but it's about 100 metres long and every shower that comes by makes me retreat indoors. Being self-employed, not getting out, or other people crying off because of the weather/roads costs me and I'm hoping the disruption over the next couple of days from the overnight snow is minimal.

• Like 1

Posted

Well a quick look at the radar and the showers have aligned back to coming from a WNW and there are plenty backing up aiming right at me. Currently snowing moderately from a decent shower ongoing just now 

Posted
12 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Heavy snow showers all morning here. There's around  20-30 cm depth, but in between the heavy stuff, the snow has turned sleety and the depth compacts a little. I've been slowly clearing the dirt track to our place but it's about 100 metres long and every shower that comes by makes me retreat indoors. Being self-employed, not getting out, or other people crying off because of the weather/roads costs me and I'm hoping the disruption over the next couple of days from the overnight snow is minimal.

I think the A701 is back open now over the Devil's Beeftubs - not very often that that gets blocked and Moffat gets cut off from the north.  Two gritters in convoy went passed at around 10am here - followed by a convoy of a dozen cars and trucks.

• Like 1

Posted

Now very heavy actually. Big fat flakes and accumulating quickly. Covering over all the tracks rapidly 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Sleet here now, hopefully tonight will deliver again but I don’t think it will get this far north 

Posted

Snowed earlier and a kind of rainy sleety shower passed there, nothing to write home about. This is the bit i hate, snow hangover!

Posted
32 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I think the A701 is back open now over the Devil's Beeftubs - not very often that that gets blocked and Moffat gets cut off from the north.  Two gritters in convoy went passed at around 10am here - followed by a convoy of a dozen cars and trucks.

Thanks for the Intel. :) I'm working in Peebles on Friday so good to know the road through to Broughton is open.

Posted

I like these charts...

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

528 line squeezed/pushed further north in the last run by about 30miles.

nmmuk5001000.png

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, grifter said:

This is the bit i hate, snow hangover!

I love this description! Plenty of snow on the ground, and generally a lovely winters day, but after yesterday's excitement it feels a bit flat!

We need a 'hair of the dog' system arriving 150miles further north :D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Heavy snaw again :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Was raining for a while in Glasgow there, and it looks like any upcoming falls will be of rain, certainly during the day.

A feature of today has been people from just outside the city who have struggled to believe how little snow there is in the city centre. Never cease to be amazed by Glasgow’s little microclimate at times like this, but it also reveals the logic in why a city developed here in the first place. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just a few snapshots of shotts last night that I came across on Facebook. 

First one is a lorry that went up a closed road (sign was obscured by snow) and ended up smashing into a house. And the second one is the life of people in shotts trying to get out in the winter lol 

IMG_7719.PNG

IMG_7720.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
14 hours ago, ghoneym said:

Broken down trucks on the M74 from what I've read and can't get recovery to them, absolout nightmare out there on the roads by the look of it, gritters earning there crust tonight that's for sure!

Screenshot_20180117-003309.thumb.png.0890b6b73bfd5207586617d35db0df42.png

What you mean Sprinkles, Sparkle and Ready Spready Go, Ice destroyer, Sir Andy Flurry, Sir Salter Scott, Gritty Gritty Bang Bang, Mr Plow, Luke Snowalker.and Grittie McVittie? Love this.

• Like 1

Posted

Is the system tonight coming further north?

We've just been told all East Ayrshire schools closed tomorrow.

Posted

GFS 12z

prectypeuktopo.png

Front already pushing in but looks to be moving in quicker than forecast in the GFS 12z. 

prectypeuktopo.png Untitled-4.thumb.png.a7482aebfed3319cb39390d940b290dd.png

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

One thing about snow the snow dog stays clean on her daily walk.20180117_115037.thumb.jpg.a1247aea969440b3607e163e17345e03.jpg Almost another ice day with temperature hovering about 0c. Mostly dry today but sunny

See there is a lot of comment about the lack of snow in the south of England  and having lived there till I was 8 I seem to remember very little snowfall or family photos of it but when we moved to Scotland in the early sixties there were many more photos of snow including one of myself and my sister in January 1962(think the year is right)  on the coast road at Portessie on top of a six foot snow drift right beside the beach   I think  it was this snowfall when I first heard and saw thunder snow at night. We are geographically placed nearer to the arctic circle and so can get snow on west ,north and east winds with less of a sea track to warm the air.     The SE of the UK will always be reliant on a cold   east wind  to get snow and as these become rarer with each passing year  then so will the snow.

North and east winds become more frequent in the spring by which time they are usually to warm for snow in the South unless from a very cold source. However these  spring winds can give us disruptive snow fall in Scotland  till  early May especially on the hills . So there are pluses and minuses in the hunt for snow and the minus for Scotland is often a cold late spring especially in the north.

• Like 7