Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

I'm beginning to wish I'd never mentioned it! :D (Though it really is a major player in snow settling).

Not that it matters here anyway as there is nothing falling from the sky. Still time yet but I've got a sinking feeling....

Light showers here but pretty cosmetic. The wet bulb must have lowered though ? as the individual flakes are sticking at the moment. May reach you shortly?

edit. A wee bit heavier now and re-covering the road.

Edited by Norrance
Update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
5 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

What temps have folk got? It's -0.5C here. Not that often that we get snow falling up here in subzero conditions.

T= 0.3 °C / DP = -2.9 °C

T dropping quick now with the sun going down.

Snaw easing off, but radar suggests further showers lining up for me.

For a westerly, this is the dugs baws. I usually get a thin crust of slush from the west if I'm lucky.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

3 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

What temps have folk got? It's -0.5C here. Not that often that we get snow falling up here in subzero conditions.

-1C at sea level. First time today I've seen snow falling at this temp and not settling!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

-1C at sea level. First time today I've seen snow falling at this temp and not settling!

Is that the infamous wet bulb again? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

0C here.

This has seriously been one of the greatest Winter days of my life - heavy snow showers since midnight, howling wind during them, intense hail showers, thunder and lightning during a heavy snow shower all while there is about 4 inches on the ground. 

Honestly when that Thundersnow happened I just about pished myself with excitement. 

The best thing about it all? It just keeps going! :yahoo:

0FEF1875-CE81-4EF7-A5D1-CD63957A473B.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We've got 7 inches here and just had another heavy fall. The A7 has gone very quiet so not sure if it's open or not - maybe queues up at Middleton moor. All neighbours who work are home early and cooried in, and it feels like xmas :D

Shuggee - not very handy taking the buses off the Penecuik route, all the Peebles folk at work in Embra now will be stuck there!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
6 minutes ago, scottishandy said:

12cm on grass, snowman coming along nicely. 

DSC_0761.JPG

Aw bless her. It’s lovely for children to have enough to build a snowman nowadays. And great to see all your photos with such a large geographical spread, reminds me of 2010 and the fun of walking five miles home from office in Barrhead. Am delighted so many (excepting those within @Hawesy bulb effect ?) are under the showers. Expect tonight’s more organised snow will be awesome. Hope everyone gets some.

Oh and it’s top news headline down here, even pushing the awful Carillion debacle into second place.  Lots more photos please! 

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We've got 7 inches here and just had another heavy fall. The A7 has gone very quiet so not sure if it's open or not - maybe queues up at Middleton moor. All neighbours who work are home early and cooried in, and it feels like xmas :D

Shuggee - not very handy taking the buses off the Penecuik route, all the Peebles folk at work in Embra now will be stuck there!

Just to say love that word. Don't often here it used, but it's a great wee word. Certainly what you want to be doing on an evening like this.

EDIT

Looks like we have another batch incoming. Leave some for me. :D

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

?view=att&th=160ffd7a5960f01f&attid=0.1&

A modest amount of snow here during a quick once around the block this afternoon, but caught the edge of an intense shower a few minutes ago, although the intense stuff associated with the thunder seemed to move SE towards the Lesmahagow/Muirkirk /Douglas area.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

THUNDERSNOW!!!!!

YAAAAAAS!!!!!

It made its way along to Clarkston. 

Showers started to stick in Bridgeton (1 mile east of the city centre) around 2pm. Left the office at 3pm and it was a dusting with around 2-3 inches at home. Traffic already backing up at Polmadie as people were trying to get onto the M74.  

Any side roads with an incline were causing problems for the parents on the school run. Saw a guy slide sideways toward a lamppost when he was trying to do a 180 turn outside a primary school:nea:

Should be an interesting evening for many and hopefully that includes those who haven’t had much so far this winter!? 

6C804A9E-2459-4BD2-8098-79A6FB9F9EB4.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Looks like the run home is going to be fun. Showers really ramping up now. 

Wife works in Kilmarnock and reports the Killie snow shield was obliterated this afternoon. 

Reports of thundersnow at home too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
17 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Is that the infamous wet bulb again? :cc_confused:

Presumably. I'm not shooting the messenger but these various values are jaffa cakesing me right off.

Posted

Was a good few heavy showers in town today but nothing to write home about, however by after 3pm it was starting to stay on longer and get heavier. Decided to leave at 4pm to get on the road before the chaos started. The road was very slippy so I had a few hills to contend with on the way home. Managed to get in and it was absolutely piling it down. Then just as I was standing in kitchen on phone, seen a flash, woohoo thundersnow, never really heard the thunder so must have been a bit away. Hopefully more to come as sky is absolutely black.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Looks like the run home is going to be fun. Showers really ramping up now. 

Wife works in Kilmarnock and reports the Killie snow shield was obliterated this afternoon. 

Reports of thundersnow at home too.

I volunteered to work from home the day so I could drive Mrs SS around in the snaw.

:diablo:

#weatherproofs

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Right! I phoned I to work from at home at 06:45. Soooo pleased i did - the main roads are skating rinks with cars crawling past, the few cars that are out that is. What a day.

• Like 2