Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Always painful when you're house has an Amber warning for snow and you're not anywhere near it :nonono: we managed a dusting in Durham last night at least! 

Glad to see everyone's enjoying the snow though,  good pics so far - keep them coming! 

• Like 1

Posted

We've had a light flurry here at work in St Andrews. 

Posted

I've not seen snow this heavy for 7 years....

IMG_20180116_104954.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

I mentioned yesterday that I was surprised the Met Office hadn't issued an amber warning bearing in mind the model guidance, especially from the WRF high-res, but I see they've issued it up today so better late than never. There's already 10 cm of lying snow in Moffat and the showers are piling in so I wouldn't be surprised to see 20 cm+ by the end of today.

My wee van stands out like a wasp in your ice cream :)

DSC08347.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Blue skies and glorious sunshine here in Aberdeen albeit a bit chilly.      Not remotely jealous at all of all you folk getting snow!:D

There was a small threat of the snow getting this far east overnight but it appears to have disappeared.   Anyway enjoy and stay safe if you get any of the white stuff. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not much here in the East Lothian area, just a covering, looks like a shower incoming let’s hope it’s a bit heavier this time . 

The wind has really picked up now though so it will be a blizzard if the showers amount to much. 

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
32 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I've not seen snow this heavy for 7 years....

IMG_20180116_104954.jpg

Aye, Shuggee. Welcome to Tweeddale. You'll be having fun getting down that steep drive of yours.

Posted
3 minutes ago, petewaugh said:

Aye, Shuggee. Welcome to Tweeddale. You'll be having fun getting down that steep drive of yours.

We ain't going anywhere Pete! :cold:

Here's the 'A' road:

IMG_20180116_124552.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

couple of lovely looking showers here but over all too quickly and still just a dusting.... 5 years since snow covered all my grass blades here..... surely one of these big showers can make it with enough to give me that

or tha toys will be oot ra pram and if @More Snow reports a decent covering when i dont have one then im giving up on snaw :diablo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, edo said:

couple of lovely looking showers here but over all too quickly and still just a dusting.... 5 years since snow covered all my grass blades here..... surely one of these big showers can make it with enough to give me that

or tha toys will be oot ra pram and if @More Snow reports a decent covering when i dont have one then im giving up on snaw :diablo:

Get this then. It's been snowing on and off all morning (ok, it's still snowing, I know it's afternoon), temp's been between -1C and 0C all the time, yet it's just melting away almost as fast as it lands. Mush in the yard. Everywhere else is fluffy :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Just heard a distant rumble of thunder, looks like Ayrshire is getting it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Hawesy's bulb temps must be too high. It's the same here. It's been snowing for 30 minutes and all it's doing is melting the snow from earlier.

Damn daffodils.

Still don't get it. This lot of air must be near saturation surely, so WB temp should be very close to DB temp? Fknose.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Hawesy's bulb temps must be too high. It's the same here. It's been snowing for 30 minutes and all it's doing is melting the snow from earlier.

Temp 2c dew point 0c here so wet bulb likely to be the wrong side of 0c - though we've had nothing more than a couple of flurries.

The coldest air moves in this afternoon so we should have a window of opportunity even in low lying/coastal areas though slightly less cold upper air moves into the far west by the early hours.

The problem with westerlies (even cold ones) is that there is a lot of (relatively warm) sea to provide low level mixing out of the cold air - that's why even 100m of altitude makes all the difference, I think.

I still reckon the second half of today will be memorable for quite a few of us! All I ask is a cm!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Hubby says 6 inches here, van already overturned on the A7 earlier, muppet going too fast round a tight bend. Currently sun shining.

• Like 1