Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Cold weather.

This situation though regarding warnings, a lot of people bashed Met Eireann for issuing a status red warning during Hurricane Ophelia yet people did die during the storm, some could argue the red alert warning stopped further people from dying. There is talk that a red alert could be issued this coming week at some point which will only cause a headache for employers, anytime from now on when there's a status red warning people are just not going to go into work.

Posted
1 hour ago, johnny1972 said:

Ronan I wouldn’t worry too much about this spell tbh. You may think that is crazy looking at some of the charts but imho this will not be a long deep cold spell. One or 2 days tops at zero or below during the day. The NW has done well this year in what has been a colder winter than recent years but I think this spell incoming has been overhyped. It won’t touch December 2010 were even on the coast here we had snow on the ground for 4 weeks and temps well below freezing even by day. I remember the Lagan near cutters wharf in Belfast upto Ormeau Bridge freezing over. That will not happen this time. Yes there may be places get a lot of snow. Yes we may have -14/15 uppers for a day or so but the trend has been there for milder weather in the ensembles and that has become more obvious today. Just my opinion though.

Rubbish lol. This cold spell will go into March. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
18 minutes ago, lzo said:

Rubbish lol. This cold spell will go into March. 

Your right it will go onto the 2nd or 3rd of March. A whole 5 or 6 days ??

Posted
50 minutes ago, radiohead said:

0Z ECM produces an "all snow" event for Ireland Thursday/Friday. Heavy snow with 90 km/h gusts hitting Dublin. A long time since anything like that has been seen.

Long time lurker but rarely post. Looks a great week ahead especially for the east and maybe everyone if Thursday/ Friday works out. 

Its all very exciting I have to say. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

What an ECM!

What do u think about the longevity of this MS? Trend in the models and ensembles headed milder from Saturday onwards 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, radiohead said:

0Z ECM produces an "all snow" event for Ireland Thursday/Friday. Heavy snow with 90 km/h gusts hitting Dublin. A long time since anything like that has been seen.

I live in Scotland and I’m becoming obsessed with this event! :D

Before any of that you are getting pummelled with frequent heavy snow showers on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday! As you say the ECM is amazing for you ladies and gents and also this Metoffice forecast attached is insane! (Have honestly only ever seen this for mountain forecasts!) 

If this all stays the same you will be talking about this for years to come! :santa-emoji:

I will be browsing through this thread lots in the coming week for pictures/reports! :)

Have a good day everyone! :cold-emoji:

68AA43F2-68A9-4012-91AA-20A0C3AA9D33.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, johnny1972 said:

What do u think about the longevity of this MS? Trend in the models and ensembles headed milder from Saturday onwards 

I would say less cold, rather than milder.  Winds will be coming from the North at the end of the week

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

I feel like a snow pervert I probably won't get any but I am totally perving over the charts shown for other areas. Looks class for a lot down @Rocheydub way ?

"snow pervert", lmao at that one :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I was just on the edge of the March 2013 event. The direction of the wind meant the front of my house got plastered, you couldn't see out the windows :D

Lovely and sunny here this morning but blustery. I haven't been outside but I'd be fairly sure the wind would cut you. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

GFS 6am looks  to be a small improvement to me. The low on Friday looks slightly further south.  The snow on Friday still looks to become marginal later in the day and then on into Saturday but a slight change in the position of that low could make a big difference.

The orientation of the low at the weekend and into Monday next looks better for keeping the cold going ( not quite as cold ) with possibly some further snow early next week.  This will change by the day  and will not become clear until probably Thursday.  It makes facinating model watching.

This could turn into an event similar to some of the snow in 2010 and January 1982. I remember January 1982 so well where it snowed for a continuous 36 hours. I know the chances of this happening are small but it remains a possibility.

Fascinating times ahead for this week

Edited by John Cox
  • Like 1

Posted

Following on from my throwback pics yesterday - here’s a pic I found of the snow in a March 2013 - this was up in the Castlereagh hills.  Hoping for some similar accumulations up here in Mallusk next week. Will follow up later with short 30sec video from YouTube link (too large to upload here)

21D76031-DBD3-4B84-99F1-B66822D9BCBD.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

I actually feel for Joanna Donnelly of Met Eireann during times like these.

She got some shocking guff from people over Hurricane Ophelia not living up to the hype in the area in which they lived, yet in other parts of the country it was a very severe event. 

Now she's talking about the snow potential this week and to be weather ready, and she's right yet people are laughing it off and not taking it seriously. I do despair. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

Here's a photo from March 2013, from Craigantlet hills. Look at those drifts lol. 10ft in places.

527575_10152674003790403_1495500684_n.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

I've seen this a few times in the past. Wonderful video from the snow in 2010 in Drogheda,Louth. 

Not my video. 

• Like 1