Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have never seen so much snow in my life like today,I was trying to reach my friend who lives in  Manor Kilbride on Sally gap road(Wicklow Mountains)  to give him a lift to the shops as he spent last

Lovely record breaking morning from West Wicklow, we have got an inch or two on the ground

But but but... Who'd collect for the many charities, or sing in the gospel choir on Sunday mornings? What happened out there was premeditated looting. It's disgraceful. Shocking and abusing the f

Posted Images

So y’all know I live up Mallusk at back of cavehill - 180-200ms. Should I seriously be considering stocking up on some things? I have trouble getting out of my street (steepish enough hill) after small snow showers and during some heavy frost. If there’s any chance of significant snow I reckon my area could be extremely difficult to get in and out of. It would be a case of leaving my car on the main road about ¾mile away and hiking up and down. Am I being extreme lol? Private development with no gritters and 1 grit box that’s prob empty from the winter. Steep hill as only entrance to development. 

We have a snow shovel bought at end of last snow period last month (lol still sitting in my partners car unused). Prob top up gas if we can’t get our wood burner fixed before Tues (would prefer the burner as I’ve loads of wood but it’s dangerous atm?) 

Basically I don’t know how much of a threat the east coast of NI faces. I understand the cold is locked in and I’m jealously reading the regional forums in England but not sure of relevancy for here. 

Prob just getting caught up in the drama and wishful thinking ? But would still be nice to prepare just incase. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Cold enough certainly but will there be moisture for snow.

I think so ms.

The movement of the cold air across the warmer North Sea should increase shower activity? 

Wind direction favourable for us also

ADD0A01B-DA40-4127-9E73-7C001D0FFDDC.png

FD198373-511D-4B2C-B718-2B72739451E1.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, snowydog said:

So y’all know I live up Mallusk at back of cavehill - 180-200ms. Should I seriously be considering stocking up on some things? I have trouble getting out of my street (steepish enough hill) after small snow showers and during some heavy frost. If there’s any chance of significant snow I reckon my area could be extremely difficult to get in and out of. It would be a case of leaving my car on the main road about ¾mile away and hiking up and down. Am I being extreme lol? Private development with no gritters and 1 grit box that’s prob empty from the winter. Steep hill as only entrance to development. 

We have a snow shovel bought at end of last snow period last month (lol still sitting in my partners car unused). Prob top up gas if we can’t get our wood burner fixed before Tues (would prefer the burner as I’ve loads of wood but it’s dangerous atm?) 

Basically I don’t know how much of a threat the east coast of NI faces. I understand the cold is locked in and I’m jealously reading the regional forums in England but not sure of relevancy for here. 

Prob just getting caught up in the drama and wishful thinking ? But would still be nice to prepare just incase. 

Snowydog my good friend lives not a million miles from you.  One bad spell her car was trapped in her cul de sac for over a week. The cul de sac is down in a dip and other people had abandoned their cars as they too couldn't get out.  

I'd personally plan ahead and buy a few wee extras in like tinned goods that won't go to waste, some UHT milk and extra bread for the freezer and wine!!! At least that's one thing that you wouldn't have to worry about if we did get a good dumping.... you can just sit back and lamppost watch instead!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, snowydog said:

So y’all know I live up Mallusk at back of cavehill - 180-200ms. Should I seriously be considering stocking up on some things? I have trouble getting out of my street (steepish enough hill) after small snow showers and during some heavy frost. If there’s any chance of significant snow I reckon my area could be extremely difficult to get in and out of. It would be a case of leaving my car on the main road about ¾mile away and hiking up and down. Am I being extreme lol? Private development with no gritters and 1 grit box that’s prob empty from the winter. Steep hill as only entrance to development. 

We have a snow shovel bought at end of last snow period last month (lol still sitting in my partners car unused). Prob top up gas if we can’t get our wood burner fixed before Tues (would prefer the burner as I’ve loads of wood but it’s dangerous atm?) 

Basically I don’t know how much of a threat the east coast of NI faces. I understand the cold is locked in and I’m jealously reading the regional forums in England but not sure of relevancy for here. 

Prob just getting caught up in the drama and wishful thinking ? But would still be nice to prepare just incase. 

You’ll prob need to wait another couple of days snowy, but this looking favourable at present for a good pasting.

i would commence the precautionary measures just in case ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aliaalu said:

Snowydog my good friend lives not a million miles from you.  One bad spell her car was trapped in her cul de sac for over a week. The cul de sac is down in a dip and other people had abandoned their cars as they too couldn't get out.  

I'd personally plan ahead and buy a few wee extras in like tinned goods that won't go to waste, some UHT milk and extra bread for the freezer and wine!!! At least that's one thing that you wouldn't have to worry about if we did get a good dumping.... you can just sit back and lamppost watch instead!

Oh yes mustn’t forget the Wine. Can leave it in cooler out the back - be colder than my fridge ??

2 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

You’ll prob need to wait another couple of days snowy, but this looking favourable at present for a good pasting.

i would commence the precautionary measures just in case ?

Ah yes, I seen the post above suggesting conditions are favourable  I have the images of mountains of snow shovelled up at side of country roads higher than my car back in 2010 when the tractors cleared some roads (this was when I lived in castlereagh hills).  I remember getting so far up a country road then coming to a halt from where the tractors stopped  - snow in front of my car was higher than the bonnet ?

I’m scared to commence precautionary measures in case I jinx it ???

Think I’ll start by trying to get my wood burner sorted - has needed done for ages now so at least that’s something that needs done regardless - plus would be nice to have a lovely fire going and to come back to after walking the dog in a winter wonderland ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bobbarley said:

Yeah I’m worried with all this talk, you guys will jinx it. The snow still out in fl, in the reliable the forecast is still dry

I am quietly watching all this in the background. Really hope it comes off for everyone's sanity. Lol. We have had a decent winter so far here in the North West so can't complain. It certainly is looking dry in the reliable but hopefully later next week produces the goods!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Won’t open. What does it say ? 

I would imagine it is the Met Office video on the upcoming cold spell. Check out the NI Weather Facebook page or the METO page

Link to post
Share on other sites

The winds are looking initially next week to be more NE and that will favour Counties Louth, Meath, Dublin, Wicklow & Wexford, then we may see the winds switch more SE which will bring the chance of snow to Counties Down, Armagh & Antrim later next week.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6z looking fantastic for snow potential from Monday evening on wards.

By Wednesday the upper temps are -14, so any PPN about will fall as snow.  Dew points in minus figures also so any snow that falls should stick, get topped up and cause mayhem. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

6z looking fantastic for snow potential from Monday evening on wards.

By Wednesday the upper temps are -14, so any PPN about will fall as snow.  Dew points in minus figures also so any snow that falls should stick, get topped up and cause mayhem. :D

Not convinced of any troublesome snow away from Central and South Eastern counties yet 

Perhaps next weekend will herald more instability in the flow but too far away yet.

It's going to be bitterly cold though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Not convinced of any troublesome snow away from Central and South Eastern counties yet 

Perhaps next weekend will herald more instability in the flow but too far away yet.

It's going to be bitterly cold though.

Hopefully the lough neagh convection streamer sets up:rofl: i always wonder if it would be possible with such low 850s water temp difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Not convinced of any troublesome snow away from Central and South Eastern counties yet 

Perhaps next weekend will herald more instability in the flow but too far away yet.

It's going to be bitterly cold though.

Are you talking about Ireland or just Northern Ireland because it looks good for the whole East Coast of Ireland and central areas to a certain extent. Obviously NW areas at the moment prob will not see much in the initial stage but should improve later 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...