Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Still snowing but not very heavy the sky seems to be getting very orange though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Snow still pelting down here!

Posted

What's the story with the next few days? Been too busy here and radar watching to keep up to speed.

Posted
4 minutes ago, gary1365 said:

Still snowing but not very heavy the sky seems to be getting very orange though.

To me it is just sleet. But it's very close as it is 0.6c here.

if it were to drop to 0c, i'm sure it would snow properly and lie.

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted

If you watch the loop on netweather radar you can see the NW edge of the precipitation continually pepping up and pushing back east through NI, wonder how long it will continue?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy
2 minutes ago, Nqp15h said:

To me it is just sleet. But it's very close as it is 0.6c here.

if it were to drop to 0c, i'm sure it would snow properly and lie.

Yea I got up and looked out the window properly I think there is rain in it. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nqp15h said:

Yup, sleeting at 0.6c. Has anyone seen a more rediculous climate than ours?

Again if I sound trite, I apologise. We are on the western end of a large continent and a warm ocean. This is our life! Suck it up!!!

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

What's the story with the next few days? Been too busy here and radar watching to keep up to speed.

Looks quite good to be fair. Once I get this rain out of the way I can njoy what snow comes. Even though all apps and radar says it’s snowing with me but it’s actuslly chucking it down with rain! :rofl:

O my I actually might be getting sleet now! 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted
6 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Again if I sound trite, I apologise. We are on the western end of a large continent and a warm ocean. This is our life! Suck it up!!!

Um, yes. But I can't see it raining at 0.5, anywhere else to be honest.

I mean that's half a degree from freezing. The freezing level should theoretically be no higher than 80 metres above me, so that shouldn't theoretically be enough time for the snow flakes to melt.

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nqp15h said:

Um, yes. But I can't see it raining at 0.5, anywhere else to be honest.

I mean that's half a degree from freezing. The freezing level should theoretically be no higher than 80 metres above me, so that shouldn't theoretically be enough time for the snow flakes to melt.

Sorry young man, but you need to research what it takes to get falling snow first, and lying snow second... And thirdly, remember that we are an island on the cusp of warmth in the sea and potential cold in the continent. 

• Like 2

Posted

Rocheydub, the parameters are perfect for snow tonight, hence the big covering on higher ground.

Obviously the atmosphere is so saturated that any snow even slightly above freezing is getting washed out by the humidity. 

I don't know if that is a symptom of the low or what, but it is definitely impacting us. So, for us to get anything we're going to need really heavy shower to bring the temp below freezing.

Very disappointing, as this would've given us a few inches if it were only one degree colder.

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted

I would be very surprised if a snow warning is not issued for Northern Ireland for thurs eve through Friday. The charts look very snowy. Ronan u could end up with a good Wee total by sat morning! 

Edited by Neiller22
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like the precipitation is finally dying out now over Donegal. I'm getting the last of the very heavy snow band. That will be over 6 hours of intense snow this evening. Probably the best continuous snow I've seen.

How long will it be until the showers start feeding in behind the front when it passes east? Or is that being greedy? Haha.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

I would be very surprised if a snow warning is not issued for Northern Ireland for thurs eve through Friday. The charts look very snowy. Ronan u could end up with a good Wee total by sat morning! 

I hope your right Neiller because if the BBC week ahead forecast is to be believed then we are back in the mild by next week. Just glad most of us has seen snow this week.

Posted

Mmm. Not the most inspiring bbc newsline weather update. Not sure that’s worth a warning now. Again hit or miss and altitude the game breaker.