Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
1 minute ago, Rocheydub said:

The streamers were decent looking north and south of my location. I was in a 10 míle dry area between the 2 groups of streamers! So snow shield in full effect!

Awh rotten - typical. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya to get something decent out of this. Fri still on the cards though? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
3 hours ago, Dylan87 said:

But if it is not very severe people will never trust the weather ever again. Any warning in future will just be laughed at each time until something serious actually happens and then people won't find it too funny.

I think a lot of people struggle to trust the forecasts as it is. Even in this day with all the super computers etc on many ocassions we can’t forecast beyond 5 days with any accuracy. It’s quite something how such a strong block of very cold air is mixed out so easily within a very short space of time. My point is it’s not as severe as portrayed ie the beast from the east. Yes we will see a day or two of near freezing or slightly below 2m temps. If that was sustained for a few weeks then yes it would be a beast from the east as we used to know them.

the block needed to be sustained over Scandy for any prolonged deep cold spell. As it stands the block shifted too far west and although left with higher heights to our N and NE they aren’t strong enough to prevent the lower heights making inroads and therefore taking the sting rapidly out of the deep cold. 

This is well shown in the London ensembles as an example that goes from -15 850’s to -1 850’s in 24 - 30hrs !! Even in NI by the weekend the 850’s sit at -5 / -6. 

Posted
36 minutes ago, snowydog said:

Awh rotten - typical. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya to get something decent out of this. Fri still on the cards though? 

Hopefully tomorrow evening it will kick off properly. Looks like it anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Rocheydub said:

Hopefully tomorrow evening it will kick off properly. Looks like it anyway!

Hopefully not any earlier as I have dublin day trip tomorrow and don’t want to be stranded half way home ?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It was on TV. Watch BBC news at about 25 past the hour and 5 to the hour on 503.

This for Friday? Or into the weekend?

Posted

Right folks. I've spent the whole day outside making raised beds. 

Beautiful day outside.

odd wee polystyrene shower and there is still a wee bit on the grass. 

Thought I was losing the plot as I'd see a wee polystyrene ball come by for a few hours and not see another for 15 mins or so. 

Cold.

Posted

the main uk forcast on bbc website looks great for friday, low moves up over the whole country, pivots and goes ccross england, north east looks to be under the snow band for about 12 hours

Posted
18 minutes ago, radiohead said:

It's quite insane to see this on the models at just 84 hours.

110-120 km/h gusts slamming the east coast during intense snowfall.

iconeu_uk1-11-84-0.png?26-22iconeu_uk1-1-84-0.png?26-22

Just for fun...

iconeu_uk1-45-120-0.png?26-22

Glad that’s just for fun as it gives nothing along north coast

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

You could nearly put your house on that low from the south not making it to north of Ireland run by run it will be corrected South.

yeah, there have been 3/4 times this winter where we were expecting frontal snow only for it to track more southerly :(

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hegzyy said:

yeah, there have been 3/4 times this winter where we were expecting frontal snow only for it to track more southerly :(

It doesn't even track South! It just fizzles out!! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Hegzyy said:

Yeah prob only going one way from here I’m afraid. I know it’s the 18z and all that but on several occasions this winter it’s been the 18z that spotted the trend first. It’s the reason why I didn’t get to excited by it. But we will see where we are tomorrow. Could be all different. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Yeah prob only going one way from here I’m afraid. I know it’s the 18z and all that but on several occasions this winter it’s been the 18z that spotted the trend first. It’s the reason why I didn’t get to excited by it. But we will see where we are tomorrow. Could be all different. 

the 18z has us getting a battering on saturday instead, it might not be all bad

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

the 18z has us getting a battering on saturday instead, it might not be all bad

Correct. Having looked at the run again properly it still eventually moves northward anyway still giving a good dollop of snow for all. More so for the east but it still looks fine to me. But I still think it will be a fri event and not sat. We will see in the morn. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, booferking said:

I'm 80% sure this low will be corrected South but that doesn't say there won't be streamers setting up with the isobars tightening Thursday Friday through the weekend pushing the showers way inland. 

You could be right and anything  could happen. We will see what the morning runs bring but it’s  just a strange run for me.