Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards


ronan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
Posted
  • Location: Mallusk, Glengormley - 510ft
  • Location: Mallusk, Glengormley - 510ft

    What a rollercoaster of emotions already today lol!! Going to be one rollercoaster of a week - I simply want some white stuff on the ground at some point lol! Was starting out hoping it would be a right build up, now I just want something - anything - please! lol! :pardon:

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Castlereagh hills. 160m asl.
  • Location: Castlereagh hills. 160m asl.

    It’s a rollercoaster. Hard to tell what’s going to happen. But with each run that comes out nearer the time and we are still in the game I’m getting more confident. Positive thoughts everybody. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Donaghadee, Co. Down
  • Location: Donaghadee, Co. Down
    1 minute ago, Neiller22 said:

    It’s a rollercoaster. Hard to tell what’s going to happen. But with each run that comes out nearer the time and we are still in the game I’m getting more confident. Positive thoughts everybody. 

    The models are shifting each run. It prob won’t be known with any certainty until 12/24hrs beforehand. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Dundee - 140m ASL
  • Location: Dundee - 140m ASL

    Given that the -15c uppers are to be over N. Ireland very briefly from about 6am Wednesday morning until just before midday, I'd suggest going outside and experiencing it as it will possibly never happen in your lifetime again.

    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Loughmacrory, Co Tyrone. 170m asl
  • Weather Preferences: snow
  • Location: Loughmacrory, Co Tyrone. 170m asl

    Have to have a wee laugh at all the contingency planning and freak outs on the radio recently. In January we had over a foot of snow in the NW and the radio etc didn't even mention it. Just occasional wintry showers possible. No motorways, no railways, no national planning haha! We're lucky we have the aul t'internet!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Castlereagh hills. 160m asl.
  • Location: Castlereagh hills. 160m asl.

    Yep all over hyped for them in the SE. Met office text update still hasn’t changed from this morn for weds to fri even with fri warning out. Utterly bizzare. I don’t think anybody has a clue what’s going on. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
    3 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

    Yep all over hyped for them in the SE. Met office text update still hasn’t changed from this morn for weds to fri even with fri warning out. Utterly bizzare. I don’t think anybody has a clue what’s going on. 

    It's a very rare occurrence though, models really struggling with the reverse zonal flow. 

    After the weekend, signs of a bit of west based NAO setting up which favours us in the North West and is bad for the South East.

    That's a long way away though.

    If Friday's snow is still showing on the models by the 12z tomorrow, I would expect an upgrade to Amber.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    11 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

    Have to have a wee laugh at all the contingency planning and freak outs on the radio recently. In January we had over a foot of snow in the NW and the radio etc didn't even mention it. Just occasional wintry showers possible. No motorways, no railways, no national planning haha! We're lucky we have the aul t'internet!

    Sure on boards all Ireland has had this year has been sloppy slushy mess that melts in an hour apparently, and that's not there local conditions its all of Ireland. I appreciate I'll get sweet fa from this week, until the end of it I'm lucky but it will bad in other places and I hope they enjoy it. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.

    Convection out on the Irish Sea appears to be dwindling now. The colder uppers move in after night fall so I'd expect some more then... A bientót!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Castlereagh hills. 160m asl.
  • Location: Castlereagh hills. 160m asl.
    15 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

    It's a very rare occurrence though, models really struggling with the reverse zonal flow. 

    After the weekend, signs of a bit of west based NAO setting up which favours us in the North West and is bad for the South East.

    That's a long way away though.

    If Friday's snow is still showing on the models by the 12z tomorrow, I would expect an upgrade to Amber.

    It should def go to amber if still there. But will it be! ?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Donaghadee, Co. Down
  • Location: Donaghadee, Co. Down
    26 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

    Spare a thought for the those in SE England, the GFS has them with temperatures of +12 degress by Sunday!

    Not much of a beast that.

    Very much overhyped I have felt. If we were experiencing the -12 to -15 uppers and sub zero day time temps with snow like we had in Dec 2010 then yes it may have been a record breaking spell to look back on. As it is it won’t be and given we are heading into March and the sun being stronger I don’t think this will be anything special at all. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Derry, NW Ireland, 20 to 30m ASL
  • Location: Derry, NW Ireland, 20 to 30m ASL
    17 minutes ago, BlastFromThePastbuzz said:

    Sure on boards all Ireland has had this year has been sloppy slushy mess that melts in an hour apparently, and that's not there local conditions its all of Ireland. I appreciate I'll get sweet fa from this week, until the end of it I'm lucky but it will bad in other places and I hope they enjoy it. 

    Aye. The prospect of it actually falling, accumulating and not melting at low levels this time around would be the reason for the spike in hype.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Louth.Ireland.
  • Location: Louth.Ireland.
    5 minutes ago, johnny1972 said:

    Very much overhyped I have felt. If we were experiencing the -12 to -15 uppers and sub zero day time temps with snow like we had in Dec 2010 then yes it may have been a record breaking spell to look back on. As it is it won’t be and given we are heading into March and the sun being stronger I don’t think this will be anything special at all. 

    But if it is not very severe people will never trust the weather ever again. Any warning in future will just be laughed at each time until something serious actually happens and then people won't find it too funny.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Louth.Ireland.
  • Location: Louth.Ireland.

    Confused with this ..

    Met Eireann said that 'Storm Emma' will come into effect at 3pm on Tuesday and remain in place until 11am on Wednesday.

    Do they not mean the storm on Friday is storm Emma??? 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    40 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

    Aye. The prospect of it actually falling, accumulating and not melting at low levels this time around would be the reason for the spike in hype.

    Well depends where you are,  low levels in Ireland already had snow that didn't melt during the day. I had 5 in December. This will be the worst spell of the winter for the island as a whole with some very big accumulations to low levels. I didn't mention hype, just agreeing with Sperrin that other places already had snow without it melting fast as some think was the case for everywhere Ireland. That's a different site not here. Anyway like I said this will be the most severe weather of the winter. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Mallusk, Glengormley - 510ft
  • Location: Mallusk, Glengormley - 510ft
    57 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

    Convection out on the Irish Sea appears to be dwindling now. The colder uppers move in after night fall so I'd expect some more then... A bientót!

     Wouldn't mind going to sleep tonight and then waking up with a nice wee surprise covering - doesn't have to be much. How you fairing down there in your Dublin area snowshield :D  I know today didn't actually have much anticipated for it - suppose the real fun begins tomorrow night / Wednesday :) 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Nutts Corner
  • Location: Nutts Corner

    I think at present we would all bank this chart, shows Fridays low pushing north up over Ireland and giving some serious snow. From tomorrow afternoon we should be seeing snow showers pushing in, intermittent but possibility of showers merging and gaining weight as they cross the Irish Sea from the north east. 

    The north of Ireland looks to hold onto the colder air until a breakdown on Sunday with rain incoming on Monday.

    Things will change constantly and it may be a case of radar and lamppost watching at t0 hours. Good to see warnings issued by MetO already for Friday, but nothing bailed on yet. For what it’s worth automated also looking good for my location

    7E60B252-8DC5-493E-A0CE-B01F7AC57553.png

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
  • Location: Santry, Dublin, Ireland. 50 metres ASL.
    1 hour ago, snowydog said:

     Wouldn't mind going to sleep tonight and then waking up with a nice wee surprise covering - doesn't have to be much. How you fairing down there in your Dublin area snowshield :D  I know today didn't actually have much anticipated for it - suppose the real fun begins tomorrow night / Wednesday :) 

    The streamers were decent looking north and south of my location. I was in a 10 míle dry area between the 2 groups of streamers! So snow shield in full effect!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Nutts Corner
  • Location: Nutts Corner

    The front to the top left of snow radar shows this feature to run from NE and when hits northern England then turn slightly more east as per the wind modelling, something to keep an eye on early tomorrow morning. GFS models it to break up before it would reach us but a lot of it runs down the Irish Sea, so the east could be involved

    D3CA7F4B-D318-42D0-83DB-AC38C6EB0543.png

    0D3362C5-BD67-45C6-B791-526FF101C9A7.png

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...