Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have never seen so much snow in my life like today,I was trying to reach my friend who lives in  Manor Kilbride on Sally gap road(Wicklow Mountains)  to give him a lift to the shops as he spent last

Lovely record breaking morning from West Wicklow, we have got an inch or two on the ground

But but but... Who'd collect for the many charities, or sing in the gospel choir on Sunday mornings? What happened out there was premeditated looting. It's disgraceful. Shocking and abusing the f

Posted Images

What a rollercoaster of emotions already today lol!! Going to be one rollercoaster of a week - I simply want some white stuff on the ground at some point lol! Was starting out hoping it would be a right build up, now I just want something - anything - please! lol! :pardon:

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a rollercoaster. Hard to tell what’s going to happen. But with each run that comes out nearer the time and we are still in the game I’m getting more confident. Positive thoughts everybody. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neiller22 said:

It’s a rollercoaster. Hard to tell what’s going to happen. But with each run that comes out nearer the time and we are still in the game I’m getting more confident. Positive thoughts everybody. 

The models are shifting each run. It prob won’t be known with any certainty until 12/24hrs beforehand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that the -15c uppers are to be over N. Ireland very briefly from about 6am Wednesday morning until just before midday, I'd suggest going outside and experiencing it as it will possibly never happen in your lifetime again.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to have a wee laugh at all the contingency planning and freak outs on the radio recently. In January we had over a foot of snow in the NW and the radio etc didn't even mention it. Just occasional wintry showers possible. No motorways, no railways, no national planning haha! We're lucky we have the aul t'internet!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep all over hyped for them in the SE. Met office text update still hasn’t changed from this morn for weds to fri even with fri warning out. Utterly bizzare. I don’t think anybody has a clue what’s going on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Yep all over hyped for them in the SE. Met office text update still hasn’t changed from this morn for weds to fri even with fri warning out. Utterly bizzare. I don’t think anybody has a clue what’s going on. 

It's a very rare occurrence though, models really struggling with the reverse zonal flow. 

After the weekend, signs of a bit of west based NAO setting up which favours us in the North West and is bad for the South East.

That's a long way away though.

If Friday's snow is still showing on the models by the 12z tomorrow, I would expect an upgrade to Amber.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Have to have a wee laugh at all the contingency planning and freak outs on the radio recently. In January we had over a foot of snow in the NW and the radio etc didn't even mention it. Just occasional wintry showers possible. No motorways, no railways, no national planning haha! We're lucky we have the aul t'internet!

Sure on boards all Ireland has had this year has been sloppy slushy mess that melts in an hour apparently, and that's not there local conditions its all of Ireland. I appreciate I'll get sweet fa from this week, until the end of it I'm lucky but it will bad in other places and I hope they enjoy it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's a very rare occurrence though, models really struggling with the reverse zonal flow. 

After the weekend, signs of a bit of west based NAO setting up which favours us in the North West and is bad for the South East.

That's a long way away though.

If Friday's snow is still showing on the models by the 12z tomorrow, I would expect an upgrade to Amber.

It should def go to amber if still there. But will it be! ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Spare a thought for the those in SE England, the GFS has them with temperatures of +12 degress by Sunday!

Not much of a beast that.

Very much overhyped I have felt. If we were experiencing the -12 to -15 uppers and sub zero day time temps with snow like we had in Dec 2010 then yes it may have been a record breaking spell to look back on. As it is it won’t be and given we are heading into March and the sun being stronger I don’t think this will be anything special at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BlastFromThePastbuzz said:

Sure on boards all Ireland has had this year has been sloppy slushy mess that melts in an hour apparently, and that's not there local conditions its all of Ireland. I appreciate I'll get sweet fa from this week, until the end of it I'm lucky but it will bad in other places and I hope they enjoy it. 

Aye. The prospect of it actually falling, accumulating and not melting at low levels this time around would be the reason for the spike in hype.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnny1972 said:

Very much overhyped I have felt. If we were experiencing the -12 to -15 uppers and sub zero day time temps with snow like we had in Dec 2010 then yes it may have been a record breaking spell to look back on. As it is it won’t be and given we are heading into March and the sun being stronger I don’t think this will be anything special at all. 

But if it is not very severe people will never trust the weather ever again. Any warning in future will just be laughed at each time until something serious actually happens and then people won't find it too funny.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Aye. The prospect of it actually falling, accumulating and not melting at low levels this time around would be the reason for the spike in hype.

Well depends where you are,  low levels in Ireland already had snow that didn't melt during the day. I had 5 in December. This will be the worst spell of the winter for the island as a whole with some very big accumulations to low levels. I didn't mention hype, just agreeing with Sperrin that other places already had snow without it melting fast as some think was the case for everywhere Ireland. That's a different site not here. Anyway like I said this will be the most severe weather of the winter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Convection out on the Irish Sea appears to be dwindling now. The colder uppers move in after night fall so I'd expect some more then... A bientót!

 Wouldn't mind going to sleep tonight and then waking up with a nice wee surprise covering - doesn't have to be much. How you fairing down there in your Dublin area snowshield :D  I know today didn't actually have much anticipated for it - suppose the real fun begins tomorrow night / Wednesday :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at present we would all bank this chart, shows Fridays low pushing north up over Ireland and giving some serious snow. From tomorrow afternoon we should be seeing snow showers pushing in, intermittent but possibility of showers merging and gaining weight as they cross the Irish Sea from the north east. 

The north of Ireland looks to hold onto the colder air until a breakdown on Sunday with rain incoming on Monday.

Things will change constantly and it may be a case of radar and lamppost watching at t0 hours. Good to see warnings issued by MetO already for Friday, but nothing bailed on yet. For what it’s worth automated also looking good for my location

7E60B252-8DC5-493E-A0CE-B01F7AC57553.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowydog said:

 Wouldn't mind going to sleep tonight and then waking up with a nice wee surprise covering - doesn't have to be much. How you fairing down there in your Dublin area snowshield :D  I know today didn't actually have much anticipated for it - suppose the real fun begins tomorrow night / Wednesday :) 

The streamers were decent looking north and south of my location. I was in a 10 míle dry area between the 2 groups of streamers! So snow shield in full effect!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The front to the top left of snow radar shows this feature to run from NE and when hits northern England then turn slightly more east as per the wind modelling, something to keep an eye on early tomorrow morning. GFS models it to break up before it would reach us but a lot of it runs down the Irish Sea, so the east could be involved

D3CA7F4B-D318-42D0-83DB-AC38C6EB0543.png

0D3362C5-BD67-45C6-B791-526FF101C9A7.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...