Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind
13 minutes ago, Dylan87 said:

Met Eireann still playing the wait and see closer to the time game.

Hi Dylan.

I think they are quite nailing their colours to the mast: I know it may be my interpretation but I am so excited :)

"Thursday: Bitterly cold on Thursday with scattered snow showers. Highest temperatures ranging from -1 to +2 degrees, in strong east to northeast winds. A more persistent spell of snow is expected to move up from the south during Thursday night, with significant accumulations in many areas. Fresh to strong easterly winds will lead to drifting in places. 

Friday: Early indications are for further falls of snow for a time on Friday, but clearer conditions, with scattered snow showers, will extend gradually from the south. Temperatures not quite as low as on Wednesday and Thursday, but still very cold."

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
1 hour ago, jello said:

Everytime I see him, my head imagines him pulling the finger at me.

Posted

O dear def not the best of run this morning at all from the GFS. Looks like the snow has been downgraded for quite a few of us. The great Blizzard seems to be losing intensity as well. And to add to that the updated text forecast is certainly a  downgrade this morn. Gone is the frequent snow showers for all to just occasional snow showers which are mainly in south and east. Time for changes but not a good trend this morn at all and i wouldn't expect much disruption from that text forecast. Just hope a trainee updated that this morn.  Met Eireann update will be interesting shortly 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Orange level to be issued today and red later in the week according to Evelyn Cusack. Details of the emergency meeting after 8am. Friday is far from nailed on so still things to firm up yet. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Juuyoku said:

Orange level to be issued today and red later in the week according to Evelyn Cusack. Details of the emergency meeting after 8am. Friday is far from nailed on so still things to firm up yet. 

Jez folks in the south take care!!

Posted

Looks like heavy snow in the South no matter which model is correct. 

For the North, if GFS is correct then we get in on the action as well but the cold mixes out. The UKMO offers less snow, but prolongs the cold.

ECM is more of a blend.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
10 hours ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Looking at buying a 2002 Rav4 anyone got one, would you recommend?

I've got one. Had it a fair few years, very reliable and never had any bother with it.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Would be good to see that the 0z run is a wobble and that the 6z GFS models what was output yesterday.

Tomorrow afternoon still looks like when we could see the snow pushing in from the east, Wednesday/Thursday/Friday and even Saturday still looking good folks.

Will be interesting to see if the GFS still mixes out cold come late Friday / early Saturday for the far south.

Posted

Bitterly cold out there this morning. Looks like a lot of snow to fall from late tomorrow through to Friday...Hopefully UKMO is on the money this morning  in disrupting the low later in the week and keeping the cold spell going....the position of this low likely to chop and change in model output for a few days yet.....interesting that Met Eireann expect to issue a red alert warning and mention "dynamic" snow. Never heard that one before  

Edited by Bottled Snow

Posted

met.ie forcast for tomrrow

"Another cold day for Tuesday. Frost clearing gradually, with some bright or short sunny spells developing. But increasing clouds will bring some rain and sleet showers to Leinster and east Munster, during the afternoon and evening. Top temperatures 3 to 6 C. A moderate to fresh northeasterly breeze will make it feel colder."

are they actually serious? rain and sleet?!

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

met.ie forcast for tomrrow

"Another cold day for Tuesday. Frost clearing gradually, with some bright or short sunny spells developing. But increasing clouds will bring some rain and sleet showers to Leinster and east Munster, during the afternoon and evening. Top temperatures 3 to 6 C. A moderate to fresh northeasterly breeze will make it feel colder."

are they actually serious? rain and sleet?!

the cloud bringing these showers is result of a cold front pushing westwards  and is the boundary between cold and very cold airmass...once this front passes through everything that falls becomes snow...however with the cold air tucking in behind the front I would not be surprised if this also produces snow...either way it is a weak system with the heavier snow showers following behind tomorrow night onwards  

Posted

6z ICON goes with the UKMO and disrupts the low along the English channel, continued risk of blizzards in the South and East of the island, the threat of disruptive snow in the North of island has decreased, waiting to see what GFS 6z offers.

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

6z ICON goes with the UKMO and disrupts the low along the English channel, continued risk of blizzards in the South and East of the island, the threat of disruptive snow in the North of island has decreased, waiting to see what GFS 6z offers.

from a selfish standpoint rather it comes up accross the country, we never really loss the cold air for a few days up here

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

from a selfish standpoint rather it comes up accross the country, we never really loss the cold air for a few days up here

I agree, better to keep the cold and the continued risk of snow than getting one big dumping which melts the next day. GFS not really backing down from it;s earlier input but it is the 6Z.

The 6z GFS brings the country wide blizzard but by Friday morning it's already turning back to rain in the far South.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

From Louth Weather on Facebook, dramatic stuff..

Weather wise, this could well turn out to be a week we will remember for quite a while. Yes it is that bad.

The situation remains similar to my forecasts last Thursday and Saturday. But with the addition of a deep low pressure system moving north on Friday that looks like it will produce blizzards and large accumulations of snow.

My inbox is full of messages from concerned people wanting to know if they can travel etc. Apologies, I simply cannot answer them all. 
My advice is to prepare for a snow event later this week that will leave many house bound for at least a day or two. Businesses, schools and public transport will close IF the low pressure system stays on its current track.

Please share and keep an eye on the page as I will be updating regularly as the situation unfolds.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dylan87 said:

From Louth Weather on Facebook, dramatic stuff..

Weather wise, this could well turn out to be a week we will remember for quite a while. Yes it is that bad.

The situation remains similar to my forecasts last Thursday and Saturday. But with the addition of a deep low pressure system moving north on Friday that looks like it will produce blizzards and large accumulations of snow.

My inbox is full of messages from concerned people wanting to know if they can travel etc. Apologies, I simply cannot answer them all. 
My advice is to prepare for a snow event later this week that will leave many house bound for at least a day or two. Businesses, schools and public transport will close IF the low pressure system stays on its current track.

Please share and keep an eye on the page as I will be updating regularly as the situation unfolds.

Yup, cannot argue with that, my gut feeling is the system will not get as far North as Louth.

Posted

Just popping in to say goodbye... Just in case this blizzard wipes me out on Thurs/Fri :-)

Posted

Well it's baltic out there :D ... hoping to see some snow tomorrow evening (automated forecast has snow beginning Tues evening for me, and on and off until Sun). May possibly miss a nice big amount, but the cold's locked in until Friday so hoping for some big surprises. If we got anything close to March 2013 I'd be happy :) 

Posted

radar for England is looking a lot more ferocious than forecasts were showing for Monday! hopefully a sign of things to come

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Hegzyy said:

radar for England is looking a lot more ferocious than forecasts were showing for Monday! hopefully a sign of things to come

It does look like it's heading our direction :cold: .... Radar looks to have snow falling down around Newry / Border area? Anyone down that direction?

Posted
Just now, snowydog said:

It does look like it's heading our direction :cold: .... Radar looks to have snow falling down around Newry / Border area? Anyone down that direction?

Anyone in Northern Louth to confirm the snow has arrived?