Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
58 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Looking fantastic towards month end. Easterly of sorts followed by stonking Northerly may be on the cards and lasting through December!!

Some excitement MS in MOD thread, could be a repeat of 2010?

How do you think we will fair?

Posted
57 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Some excitement MS in MOD thread, could be a repeat of 2010?

How do you think we will fair?

Certainly looking very 2010 like at the moment and there is little sign of the jetstream cranking up, so we could see repeated movements of heights between Greenland and Scandinavia through December. Just a pity the Scandi heights next week are a bit early in the season so no snow likely for Ireland from that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Certainly looking very 2010 like at the moment and there is little sign of the jetstream cranking up, so we could see repeated movements of heights between Greenland and Scandinavia through December. Just a pity the Scandi heights next week are a bit early in the season so no snow likely for Ireland from that.

Sorry. Wrong thread.

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
4 hours ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Ohhhh I haven't been near the model thread for a while, I take it something is afoot?

I’d leave it until the start of next week Pom before looking, in the mean time stock up on logs and get the snow shovel polished

• Like 1

Posted

Glad to see something colder in the output. Always like a mild Autumn. Always think it gives better chances of cold going in to winter. Just back from another week in Iceland and winter hasn't even started there. Very mild at 7-10 degrees. Hope we all have a bit of luck this season. 

• Like 1

Posted

Blast from the past has been calling a near ice age winter for some time Steve Murr on his usual easterly cometh and major northern blocking for about a week. Tamara on the other hand sits on fence.

Posted

Some cracking charts showing up. In fairness to BFTP on the model thread, he has called this about 6 weeks ago!

• Like 4

Posted
On 17/11/2018 at 21:54, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Notes wailing on Model thread, checks date l, shakes head

Still going on today as well.

Some folk never learn, particularly when it comes to the GFS bias to overplay the Atlantic and its inability to deal with trough disruption.

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Still going on today as well.

Some folk never learn, particularly when it comes to the GFS bias to overplay the Atlantic and its inability to deal with trough disruption.

Some will never learn at all, they would be beat to review charts every 3 days for their own sanity.

Things still looking positive for the further at present, it will be a rollercoaster of emotions until such times as snow on the ground and cold locked in. Exciting times for a coldie.

We’ve experienced a fantistic summer, here’s hoping winter produces something memorable

• Like 1

Posted

Very chilly here today in fresh East to North East wind with heavy showers and temperature maxing at only + 5 degrees. Currently + 4 degrees and absolutely chucking it down with rain which looks even sleety at times. Would expect the Wickow mountains for example to be covered in snow at this stage.

We always do well from easterlies here and no doubt if this spell occured a few weeks later some of us would be seeing a good covering of snow right now. Europe just not cold enough at this time to deliver from this easterly but I have high hopes of seeing plenty more opportunities further in to winter based on background signals etc....apart from some frost / fog, not really expecting much for another few weeks though regardless of whether the current easterly regime manages to hold on or not. Early to mid December on might be a good call to see a better shot of cold and hopefully snow for this lovely island of ours .....winter 2018/2019....bring it on.....

Bottled Snow

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 2

Posted

Nothing major happening yet folks but I feel from mid December on we have a great chance to see a good winter! To much high pressure about for things just to be like our average winters. Good times ahead I feel. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, ronan said:

Nothing major happening yet folks but I feel from mid December on we have a great chance to see a good winter! To much high pressure about for things just to be like our average winters. Good times ahead I feel. 

Agreed.

I had hoped for a northerly shot in the first week of December but that looks unlikely now. If we can retain the Arctic high then that opens up the chance for a decent cold shot from mid month as the MJO becomes favourable through phases 7-8-1.

A wee bit of snow in the run up to Christmas and during Christmas week would be suit just fine

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Agreed.

I had hoped for a northerly shot in the first week of December but that looks unlikely now. If we can retain the Arctic high then that opens up the chance for a decent cold shot from mid month as the MJO becomes favourable through phases 7-8-1.

A wee bit of snow in the run up to Christmas and during Christmas week would be suit just fine

Hopefully a bit of snow makes an appearance before Christmas, Christmas Day would be mega. 

I had to defrost the car this morning, this week looking wet and windy with slightly warmer temps as a couple of lows passing through.

Posted
7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Agreed.

Yea last year we has a decent snow event around 7th Dec i believe lasted for nearly a week would love a good Northerly before Xmas.