Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Mt Dillon station yesterday, from a low of 9.4C up to a high of 30.5C, so a 21.1C diurnal range. Impressive stuff!

• Like 1

Posted

From the Met Office forecast for NI today:

Regional Forecast for Northern Ireland

Headline:

Hot or very hot.

Today:

It will be dry and sunny and becoming hot or very hot, perhaps the hottest day on record which currently stands at 30.8 Celsius. Some refreshing seas breezes will develop around the coasts in the afternoon. Maximum temperature 30 °C.

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, SnowJon said:

From the Met Office forecast for NI today:

Regional Forecast for Northern Ireland

Headline:

Hot or very hot.

Today:

It will be dry and sunny and becoming hot or very hot, perhaps the hottest day on record which currently stands at 30.8 Celsius. Some refreshing seas breezes will develop around the coasts in the afternoon. Maximum temperature 30 °C.

Thomastown not far off the NI record today 30.5c
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Hosepipe ban is in force from 18:00 tonight. I was just thinking to myself when was the last time we had any proper rain. The trees are starting to look dry as well.

Posted

They still seem to be ironing out the new website but it seems to be getting better.

Edited by The Eagle

Posted

A sight I’ve never seen before in this country, a local potato farmer is filling slurry spreaders with water to irrigate his fields. He’s been at it constantly for the ast 3 days. I’d say some local farmers r starting to worry about the drought!

Posted

The outlook for Ireland is very dry for next week now apart from the odd shower and then high pressure builds in again for the end of the week. ECM particularly bullish on this.

Posted

I will have my coat ready for tommorow. A baltic 19 degrees celsius. Good thing it picks up to normal after.

Edited by parrotingfantasist

Posted

Very worryingly, this drought is set to continue. I love this heat, as its so rare, but don't let my plants die!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The grass out at the front of my house could do with a bit of rain lol.

IMG_20180701_145808.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all :)

Apologies for invading this thread but Mrs Stodge and I were touring round southern Ireland last week and it was absolutely phenomenally magnificently glorious.

A noticeable Easterly wind in Dublin and Waterford and along the southern coast tempered the weather slightly in the early part of last week but we got to Killarney last Tuesday and enjoyed two fantastic days in Kerry. Slightly hazy and cloud came in one evening to spoil the sunset over the Lakes but the temperatures were in the mid 20s so very pleasant with low humidity.

From Killarney we drove north to Galway and spent two days in what I can now describe as Ireland's Oven.

The Cliffs of Moher were scorchingly hot with temperatures pushing above 30c and a hotel room in central Galway without air conditioning almost unbearable. In Connemara last Thursday we were over 30c but I think Shannon Airport hit 32c on Thursday as well. Driving back across to Dublin, the Midlands were warm but back on the coast the refreshing breeze made for a pleasant evening strolling around Temple Bar.

Fascinating to see the synoptics favouring the heat for the west so strongly and no surprise but the thermal gradient even on such a small land mass was interesting. Galway and Connacht were much hotter than Dublin and Leinster. While the temperature record was set at Kilkenny, I think a station like Shannon Airport, Athenry or Mullingar must be favoured next time. 

A beautiful country and a wonderful week but a sense we can never go back as it will never be that good again.

• Like 7

Posted
16 minutes ago, stodge said:

Apologies for invading this thread but Mrs Stodge and I were touring round southern Ireland last week and it was absolutely phenomenally magnificently glorious.

A noticeable Easterly wind in Dublin and Waterford and along the southern coast tempered the weather slightly in the early part of last week but we got to Killarney last Tuesday and enjoyed two fantastic days in Kerry. Slightly hazy and cloud came in one evening to spoil the sunset over the Lakes but the temperatures were in the mid 20s so very pleasant with low humidity.

From Killarney we drove north to Galway and spent two days in what I can now describe as Ireland's Oven.

The Cliffs of Moher were scorchingly hot with temperatures pushing above 30c and a hotel room in central Galway without air conditioning almost unbearable. In Connemara last Thursday we were over 30c but I think Shannon Airport hit 32c on Thursday as well. Driving back across to Dublin, the Midlands were warm but back on the coast the refreshing breeze made for a pleasant evening strolling around Temple Bar.

Fascinating to see the synoptics favouring the heat for the west so strongly and no surprise but the thermal gradient even on such a small land mass was interesting. Galway and Connacht were much hotter than Dublin and Leinster. While the temperature record was set at Kilkenny, I think a station like Shannon Airport, Athenry or Mullingar must be favoured next time. 

A beautiful country and a wonderful week but a sense we can never go back as it will never be that good again.

Honestly - it's the best country in the world when the weather is sunny and warm! Especially the west coast - stunning scenery there! You got so lucky 

Posted
20 minutes ago, stodge said:

Anytime I have went to see the cliffs of Moher they were covered in fog or driving rain, glad you had a great time Stodge, as Snowjon says Ireland is hard to beat if the weather is good!

Posted

Potential change for just after next weekend as TS Chris exits the CONUS east coast. It's track is uncertain and most recent runs suggestive that it will run over the top of our islands. This is certainly something to watch as this week passes. Hopefully it doesn't disturb our current quiet jet stream pattern too much as does a quick route and dissipates. 

I'm off to Kerry at the start of next week for a few days, so will be hoping for a continuation of this magnificent weather!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Off to cork for nearly two weeks tomorrow. Looks like the first week should be good. Perhaps the second week a more typical type of Irish summer weather?

Posted
8 minutes ago, sundog said:

Off to cork for nearly two weeks tomorrow. Looks like the first week should be good. Perhaps the second week a more typical type of Irish summer weather?

Looks that way. Drought continues this week, then flood next week.

Posted

Wednesday might see our first considerable rain, with things heating up afterwards. Thats according to the MetOffice weather forecast.