Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted

This is turning in to a joke no snow cold windy and electricity is out in cookstown ????freezing.

Can't get my labels done for parcelforce loads of orders to go out.

Edited by booferking

Posted
8 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

It just disintegrates..

another miss!

Still looks like moderate snow for a good few hrs fri eve and night in south and east NI  as per Angies forecast. But who knows. Still a day away. NW def not good unfortunately 

Posted
54 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

AMBER warning for county down, antrim and armagh.

Would say south antrim, all of down and into armagh based on current radar

Amber warning issued just as the streamers appear to be petering out? Maybe pick up later in the today.

As for Friday. GFS definitely lessens the precipitation across the island although it does extend up into South East Northern Ireland.

Doesn't look like a Red warning for Ireland based on this run. 

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Amber warning issued just as the streamers appear to be petering out? Maybe pick up later in the today.

As for Friday. GFS definitely lessens the precipitation across the island although it does extend up into South East Northern Ireland.

Doesn't look like a Red warning for Ireland based on this run. 

Yes the met office warning curse??. Yes red warning looks strange going on that run but tomorrow eve could be fun east and southeast NI 

Posted

Mad really met ie has a red warning with snow ice and blizzards for the whole of Ireland.

met office says a bit of heavy snow for south east of Ireland and the rest either occasional showers or completely dry!!

Posted
Just now, Sparky72 said:

Mad really met ie has a red warning with snow ice and blizzards for the whole of Ireland.

met office says a bit of heavy snow for south east of Ireland and the rest either occasional showers or completely dry!!

Utterly crazy difference. Who will be right. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, hamba said:

just below ballyclare and nothing here, very disappointing.

Yup. Left ballyclare for coleraine and started getting snowy about Ballymoney. Nothing much but anything is more than ballyclare this morning. 

Mot complaining mind! As much as I love snow I'm totally enjoying the bitter cold air mass we are under. It's beautiful weather. 

Posted

Maybe met ie will downgrade warning based on latest forecast (particularly for Donegal) was a bit premature I think to call for everywhere to close down for two days!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Maybe met ie will downgrade warning based on latest forecast (particularly for Donegal) was a bit premature I think to call for everywhere to close down for two days!

The red warning for the whole of RoI is embarrassing if I'm honest. Every Ulster Bank branch in the South closed even in areas with no snow and no forecast snow, yet in the North all branches open even in areas with loads of snow and forecast snow.

This must be costing millions.

Posted
7 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

So whats news on Storm Emma?

For you guys in the North West I would say no chance of it impacting you, for us in the South East of NI, I have no idea.

Some South Eastern parts of RoI will get hammered but most areas don't look to bad, the country wide 2 day red warning by Met Eirann is a joke.

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

For you guys in the North West I would say no chance of it impacting you, for us in the South East of NI, I have no idea.

Some South Eastern parts of RoI will get hammered but most areas don't look to bad, the country wide 2 day red warning by Met Eirann is a joke.

Nothing is a joke to event is all said and done will be interesting to see who calls it.

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

Nothing is a joke to event is all said and done will be interesting to see who calls it.

Well we will see what happens. But red warning a bit extreme. If they get it wrong they will get dogs abuse. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, booferking said:

Boofer, most of RoI won't even see snow today, never mind life threatening amounts and as for tomorrow, away from the South East, most won't see that either. 

Put it another way, if the UK met doesn't think South Down merits a Red today I can hardly see how Galway for example merits one.

Posted
21 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The red warning for the whole of RoI is embarrassing if I'm honest. Every Ulster Bank branch in the South closed even in areas with no snow and no forecast snow, yet in the North all branches open even in areas with loads of snow and forecast snow.

This must be costing millions.

Alright sure Mountain, have no red warning then somebody dies when a tree full of snow falls on top of them, then all the people lose their heads and blame the weather office and the Irish government for not having a red warning. You can't win either way. 

Posted
Just now, Dylan87 said:

Alright sure Mountain, have no red warning then somebody dies when a tree full of snow falls on top of them, then all the people lose their heads and blame the weather office and the Irish government for not having a red warning. You can't win either way. 

I agree with the statement but theres being safe and being overly safe. Soon enough the red warning will be devalued in place there hasn't been any snow, which has been a lot if not most of the west coast of Ireland. Then people will feel like "Oh its a red warning, blah blah blah"

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dylan87 said:

Oh come on, there's more chance of a tree falling on you during a moderate gale than heavy snow and they don't issue Red's for moderate gales.

Anyway, my issue is the nationwide Red. Parts of the West will not see and have seen not snow and most parts will not see life threatening amounts.

For parts of the South East and the Dublin metropolis I can understand it, but not nationwide.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dylan87 said:

Sorry it’s comments like that which have resulted in such a risk averse culture. There’s always risk of something like that happening. The authorities in the south need to localise there warnings far more, the same happened with the “hurricane” which only affected the south west. Red Alert fatigue will set in and in the future people will ignore warnings when they r warranted!

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

Foot of snow outside eglish. Crazy

Have UK Met Office issued a Red yet or even an Amber for Eglish. Is it even in the Yellow area?