Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

there's a lull in showers atm because upper air temps aren't quite low enough for convection. we see an area of sub-10 uppers come in this evening in the NE, so convection might begin to kick off a bit tonight.

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Weather Watcher said:

there's a lull in showers atm because upper air temps aren't quite low enough for convection. we see an area of sub-10 uppers come in this evening in the NE, so convection might begin to kick off a bit tonight.

I'm keeping an eye on those showers in the SW of Scotland - they seem to be developing over the land at the moment and headed this direction. :

radar2.thumb.png.ec60736b01dbb706af82151684f09693.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

I'm keeping an eye on those showers in the SW of Scotland - they seem to be developing over the land at the moment and headed this direction. :

Noticed that, crossing the sea they might pick up a bit too!

Posted
5 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

Come on. If they can reach the sea, maybe they'll perk up and be a bit more intense.

• Like 1

Posted

Well the brezze has certainly picked up and the high flat clouds of this morning have been replaced with something looking a bit beefier , fingers crossed

Posted

starting to cross the sea now, themeteoradar has the precipitation in the south east falling as rain, and the stuff crossing the sea as rain, anyone from that part of the country to confirm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
27 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

Convection does seem to be deepening as I look over to the NNE, can see the cloud tops bubbling up now from Bangor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I can now see the showers from my office window here off to the northeast - fingers crossed the sea crossing beefs them up a bit more before they get here!

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, The Weather Watcher said:

Convection does seem to be deepening as I look over to the NNE, can see the cloud tops bubbling up now from Bangor.

They should reach you first - I'm going to guess you'll see soft hail/graupel! 

Posted
8 minutes ago, ronan said:

Shower activity certainly picking up. Keep an eye out for streamers forming. 

Add to that meto warning for fri has been updated to midnight on sat and it’s mentions possibly further bands of snow coming up from south after. Also edge north a bit which is a good sign that they don’t believe it is going to edge south. Likelyhood tick has gone up a level to. But who knows.  

Parts of south England in amber warning. Could get one ourselves maybe but that’s just wishful thinking. Hailstones now as I type 

Edited by Neiller22
  • Like 1

Posted

with the uppers dropping later on, and the shower activity already pepping up, i would say some of us should have a covering tonight :D

Posted

I cannot for love nor money understand what the bbc graphics are showing. Is it frost, cloud or snow showers moving over the north. Awful service. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

I cannot for love nor money understand what the bbc graphics are showing. Is it frost, cloud or snow showers moving over the north. Awful service. 

The frost is bright white, the cloud is lighter white and the snow speckly white!

It didn't look very good for us anyway.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

The frost is bright white, the cloud is lighter white and the snow speckly white!

It didn't look very good for us anyway.

Very strange going by met office text forecast. I honestly think they are crap. Not looking too good for us in that case. Again I question these warnings if that’s the case. Utter nonsense. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Very strange going by met office text forecast. I honestly think they are crap. Not looking too good for us in that case. Again I question these warnings if that’s the case. Utter nonsense. 

We'll know by this time tomorrow weather we are getting anything much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Damp squib this. Odd grapel shower on east coast. Even if snow does come up later in week temperatures are on the rise and it will turn to rain and leave a slushy mess. After that both GFS and ECM showing uppers just below 0 850’s so would almost rather spring was just around the corner. But on the whole colder winter than recent years.

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Seems virtually impossible to get snow i the east from any direction. U can be sure if it was SE something would get in the way if that as well. Strange because newsline weather said accumulations in eadtbcery possible but clearly didn’t show any showers. Very strange indeed. 

Posted

Don't give up hope yet................

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Frequent snow showers, strong winds with blizzard conditions and some disruption likely, especially in eastern areas on Thursday. Less snow showers on Friday, but some disruptive snow possibly on Saturday.