Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
56 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Did the south coast of Ireland not mostly miss out on the 2010 event. This looks exceptionally bad for cork and Waterford 

The first spell of dec 2010 covered Waterford in snow for 2 weeks as I worked there but the second saw only a dusting as flow was from the north then. West Cork I am sure did well in the second spell but maybe not so much for east Cork   

Edited by Bottled Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer
14 minutes ago, Bottled Snow said:

The first spell of dec 2010 covered Waterford in snow for 2 weeks as I worked there but the second saw only a dusting as flow was from the north then. West Cork I am sure did well in the second spell but maybe not so much for east Cork   

If I remember correctly bits of County Waterford (around Dungarvan) saw very little snow at all, especially later on (the Comeragh Mountains probably shielded them). Also while West Cork did see a bit of snow (even relations of mine down on the usually very mild Beara Peninsula got a good few inches if I recall), the extreme south coast (around Kinsale) was also snowless I think.

Posted
30 minutes ago, snowstorm445 said:

If I remember correctly bits of County Waterford (around Dungarvan) saw very little snow at all, especially later on (the Comeragh Mountains probably shielded them). Also while West Cork did see a bit of snow (even relations of mine down on the usually very mild Beara Peninsula got a good few inches if I recall), the extreme south coast (around Kinsale) was also snowless I think.

yeah that would make sense. Central and east Waterford would be more prone to northeast wind and snow. South coast such as Kinsale would also have escaped the snow in northerly air stream in second spell. Even these areas should do well next week though I imagine, in an east flow 

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

-15c uppers make it across Northern Ireland at around +90hrs on the last 2 GFS runs. A trawl through the archives reveals that last happened in February 1991.

• Like 3

Posted

For those south of the border.....based on the 12z gfs.....we wish you well towards the end of this week......when your communications are back up and running.....let us know how your are. :D

3686CC04-A461-47F4-9218-E232EBDC2769.png

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

For those south of the border.....based on the 12z gfs.....we wish you well towards the end of this week......when your communications are back up and running.....let us know how your are. :D

3686CC04-A461-47F4-9218-E232EBDC2769.png

Crazy charts showing up at the moment.....some parts of Ireland are going to get absolutely buried next week if models are on right track 

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bottled Snow said:

Crazy charts showing up at the moment.....some parts of Ireland are going to get absolutely buried next week if models are on right track 

Definitely bottled, We eagerly await the track of the low, it could give mega depths

Posted
20 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Is it me or does there appear to be a bit of moaning in the Model Thread ?

Lol lots of bickering and complaining. Am I totally wrong if I think the latest models this evening seem better for us? 

Posted

Just seen Barra's forecast. He is very fond of saying "snow mainly for the hills" been saying it all winter.  

It definitely won't be mainly or the hills.

Posted

A whole rake of snow symbols now showing on MetO for my location from Wednesday......good sign so far.

haven’t ventured into mod thread since earlier and they where arguing about people looking for brake down in cold.....wing nuts at times :D

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

A whole rake of snow symbols now showing on MetO for my location from Wednesday......good sign so far.

haven’t ventured into mod thread since earlier and they where arguing about people looking for brake down in cold.....wing nuts at times :D

In a word "don't" ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
1 hour ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Is it me or does there appear to be a bit of moaning in the Model Thread ?

Moaning in the model thread ?? No way ??? Last I checked in it was all about the south and that low and the cold air getting mixed out. The laugh is the cold hasn’t even arrived and already they’re talking a breakdown !! Unbelievable 

Posted

Very much doubt we will see much here in the North West but looks like a lot on here will get a pasting. Looking forward to seeing this we thread explode with posts! Suppose there will be plenty of now casting situations next week with streamers etc so we might get lucky up here. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, ronan said:

Very much doubt we will see much here in the North West but looks like a lot on here will get a pasting. Looking forward to seeing this we thread explode with posts! Suppose there will be plenty of now casting situations next week with streamers etc so we might get lucky up here. Fingers crossed anyway.

Remember how we looked towards the east all forlorn in 2013 Ronan, never to be forgotten ☹

Posted
1 hour ago, jello said:

Just seen Barra's forecast. He is very fond of saying "snow mainly for the hills" been saying it all winter.  

It definitely won't be mainly or the hills.

He should be questioned about that in my view. He's supposed to be a professional forecaster.....it's minus 10 uppers....dam air of 510 or less and he's on about the hills!?

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, ronan said:

We are just outside of the warning! Aargh. A NE'ly would be interesting for Derry.

DerryNow must be getting their weather info from The Express. "Derry is expected to be among the areas worst affected by snow which has been forecast to hit the northwest next week."

Posted
40 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Remember how we looked towards the east all forlorn in 2013 Ronan, never to be forgotten ☹

23 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

We are just outside of the warning! Aargh. A NE'ly would be interesting for Derry.

DerryNow must be getting their weather info from The Express. "Derry is expected to be among the areas worst affected by snow which has been forecast to hit the northwest next week."

2013 was a disaster for us!! Although I only had to drive 30 mins out the road towards the Sperrins for deep snow. Definitely need a more North Easterly shot for us to get hit. Derry Now is a farse of a paper. Completely useless!! Still plenty of time for a wee bit of change. 

Edited by ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
56 minutes ago, ronan said:

Ronan I wouldn’t worry too much about this spell tbh. You may think that is crazy looking at some of the charts but imho this will not be a long deep cold spell. One or 2 days tops at zero or below during the day. The NW has done well this year in what has been a colder winter than recent years but I think this spell incoming has been overhyped. It won’t touch December 2010 were even on the coast here we had snow on the ground for 4 weeks and temps well below freezing even by day. I remember the Lagan near cutters wharf in Belfast upto Ormeau Bridge freezing over. That will not happen this time. Yes there may be places get a lot of snow. Yes we may have -14/15 uppers for a day or so but the trend has been there for milder weather in the ensembles and that has become more obvious today. Just my opinion though.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Another snow chart showing potential this week......another head wreck more like

FE4636B7-EB81-4190-B04B-4B8B9D2F9D6C.png

Another one of those really similar crayon maps. In all PM streams they were false here (a dusting!!. In fact, one thing these maps can't predict are beautiful little streamers. Just two of them gave low lying Derry the first lying snow day of the year just two weeks ago, and I'm thinking there will be plenty of those crossing that Irish Sea for everybody in those cold uppers.