Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted

slight adjustment on the 6z making way for better angle for NW of Ireland, this will obviously change between now and t0.

Hopefully this weekend I can occupy myself sufficiently so as not to be on here every 15 mins :D

Have a day in London next Thursday, don't know how that will pan out for me.

Posted
1 minute ago, Weegaz said:

I would be planning for not getting there at all!

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

UKMO +t144
UW144-21.GIF?23-06

nice angle on those isobars bringing the rest of is into play :p

Yes, this is the hope for later next week as winds switch more SE.

15 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

slight adjustment on the 6z making way for better angle for NW of Ireland, this will obviously change between now and t0.

Hopefully this weekend I can occupy myself sufficiently so as not to be on here every 15 mins :D

It's pandemonium at Heathrow with 1cm. I doubt your flight will happen if the current output verifies. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weegaz said:

By Friday 6z would have most of us needing a bigger shovel

AAEE733D-9AA6-48D4-BF58-A70485D1A83E.jpeg

4926E5E1-7BDD-4407-96F5-A8CDDAFEABDA.png

Just wondering for my own learning - see the way it says precipitation type (mm) - so is that millimetres? As in we are showing 2-3mm? Like is that per hour or what? I’m always confused looking at them. I know pink = good, darker pink = better lol but basically someone explain pls lol ?

Posted
11 minutes ago, bma79 said:

Love seeing people talk about snow charts as the holy gospel near a week away ??

Better than talking about nothing bma, good to see ‘potential’ at this range being modelled....all to play for and plenty of changes before then we know

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Better than talking about nothing bma, good to see ‘potential’ at this range being modelled....all to play for and plenty of changes before then we know

I know that Weegaz, but the way some of them get on they think it's nailed on. I hope it is I need few days off work ?

Posted
18 minutes ago, bma79 said:

I know that Weegaz, but the way some of them get on they think it's nailed on. I hope it is I need few days off work ?

Now your talking bma.....I have never been snowed in, always made it into work, even through 2010 living in Lisburn and working in mallusk.....hopefully over next couple of weeks i’ll have the joy of doing so.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Now your talking bma.....I have never been snowed in, always made it into work, even through 2010 living in Lisburn and working in mallusk.....hopefully over next couple of weeks i’ll have the joy of doing so.

You done well getting in during the event in 2010 when you think how high mullusk is. I travel via train to work so will take few ft to get few days off ?

Posted
26 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

How’d Mallusk fair in 2010? I didn’t live here then - lived up in castlereagh hills - can’t remember much of 2010 lol - I do remember Victoria park frozen over and going with my dad for a walk .. venturing on to the sides of the frozen lake - really stupid of me but didn’t go far. Funny - I was looking at pics my dad took that day - lovely bright crisp freezing day 

Posted

I am wondering how warnings work for NHS and other vital Workers. I work for NHS in community and do on call day and night. In March 13 a lot of my colleagues struggled to reach their patients for days, some of our work is life critical. Whilst I'm aware no one wants to call it too soon, and even if it doesn't happen, it would be good to be on standby. A very worthwhile exercise is to discuss what to do if roads are unpassible, which I did with my team members today who all said 'but the Belfast Telegraph said....!'

if current model output continue I'd like to see something like the current public health warning provided by the MET extended to NI....

Posted
8 minutes ago, snowydog said:

How’d Mallusk fair in 2010? I didn’t live here then - lived up in castlereagh hills - can’t remember much of 2010 lol - I do remember Victoria park frozen over and going with my dad for a walk .. venturing on to the sides of the frozen lake - really stupid of me but didn’t go far. Funny - I was looking at pics my dad took that day - lovely bright crisp freezing day 

Please share a picture, I'd love to see Vic Park like that. I've only ever seen a thin layer of ice there. I walk the dogs and run there regularly.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Aliaalu said:

Please share a picture, I'd love to see Vic Park like that. I've only ever seen a thin layer of ice there. I walk the dogs and run there regularly.

Here’s a pic of the water frozen behind me.  (Scundered lol) 

Also, for anyone interested, here’s a video someone took from 2010 showing the lovely scenes around NI in 2010. Just beautiful - lovely freezing but sunny days. I know we aren’t exactly in the same set up but every winter I’ve always hoped we could relive something like that. Being 30 - that was the major winter for my time. 

DF9861BB-55F0-4653-A487-9431B59905D0.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowydog said:

Here’s a pic of the water frozen behind me.  (Scundered lol) 

Also, for anyone interested, here’s a video someone took from 2010 showing the lovely scenes around NI in 2010. Just beautiful - lovely freezing but sunny days. I know we aren’t exactly in the same set up but every winter I’ve always hoped we could relive something like that. Being 30 - that was the major winter for my time. 

DF9861BB-55F0-4653-A487-9431B59905D0.jpeg

Poor ducks!  Looks amazing.

Posted

Nice one Snowydog, I remember Lough Fea being completely frozen over in 2010 was walking on it with the weans which when I think about it was crazy!! Also did a lot of work in Derry back then and remember ice floats on the Foyle river. @ronan is bound to have pics. Are we saying this spell will be the same as then??

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bma79 said:

It could be temp wise, don't think we'll see country wide snow? Didn't the cold in 2010 last about 5-6 weeks? 

Think your right Bma as you say think we had snow from the North, North West first then we got the cold. That said my memory is shıțē

Posted
24 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Nice one Snowydog, I remember Lough Fea being completely frozen over in 2010 was walking on it with the weans which when I think about it was crazy!! Also did a lot of work in Derry back then and remember ice floats on the Foyle river. @ronan is bound to have pics. Are we saying this spell will be the same as then??

I have pics saved somewhere but haven't a clue where they would be. Found this on YouTube but. It was crazy seeing big chunks of ice floating down the Foyle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, ronan said:

I have pics saved somewhere but haven't a clue where they would be. Found this on YouTube but. It was crazy seeing big chunks of ice floating down the Foyle!

That's class Ronan hard to believe that was 8 years ago seems like only yesterday.  Couldn't believe what I was seeing at the time!!

Posted
5 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

That's class Ronan hard to believe that was 8 years ago seems like only yesterday.  Couldn't believe what I was seeing at the time!!

It was unreal to see. I remember the Foyle Search and Rescue Pontoon was completely crush by ice. I would imagine that if this cold spell lasts 2/3 weeks then there is a chance of this happening again. Maybe not on that scale but could get some ice forming. Difference this time is that it is and of Feb and the sun is a bit stronger. 

• Like 1