Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
Just now, Weegaz said:

All messing aside about being fully roped in, i’m still airing on the side of caution, haven’t even told the wife yet and I tell her 60% of what I know and do. We’ve seen this before going tits up.....abeit this time seems different with the main models ‘singing off the same hymn sheet’

I don’t know how some are going to sleep come Saturday evening

This run has the East coast with around seven days of frequent snow showers in gale force Easterlies.

Parts of the island would grind to a halt.

Posted

I am stunned by that 18z GFS. It's astonishing, and if it comes off as predicted, it will put 2010 in the ha'penny place. 

I'd imagine Thursday/Friday would see a yellow warning. Saturday an orange level warning and Sunday/Monday even a red level warning, that's if the charts remain the same in the lead up to the actual event.

I hate to mention it, but... The horrible part of this extreme weather, is that there would most likely be loss of life. So keep an eye out on your elderly neighbours, family and friends.

The fun part of this event would be more videos like this, from my county folk in Dublin who have no idea how to handle ice! Dublin man on ice

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aliaalu said:

but.... how on Earth am I going to be able to drive in that! :help:

Snow plough?

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

It's a red warning run for sure.

Absolutely, but they never issue them until 36 hours before hand at the earliest usually.

Posted

Sperrin, Booker, ronan, Pom.....where are you guys? Maybe checking out accommodation down the east coast? :D

Good point rochey, sometimes we get caught up in the hype of these events and forget about the risk to people and property.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Sperrin, Booker, ronan, Pom.....where are you guys? Maybe checking out accommodation down the east coast? :D

Good point rochey, sometimes we get caught up in the hype of these events and forget about the risk to people and property.

I'd be here lol

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Don't worry I'm here and i a hear yea??

Edited by booferking

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

I have just landed off my flight from Iceland. Brought home a suitcase full of the finest Icelandic snow just incase we see stained glass window all  next week. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
21 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

I’m here, well happy for all in East!

Edited by Sperrin

Posted

Lads its still to far out to start getting hyped up about this. Over in the MOD thread they are in heaven at the minute and i fear toys will be thrown out at some stage. Will be fri sat before i even think that this will be an epic event 

Posted
7 minutes ago, somofagun said:

Lads its still to far out to start getting hyped up about this. Over in the MOD thread they are in heaven at the minute and i fear toys will be thrown out at some stage. Will be fri sat before i even think that this will be an epic event 

To an extent. Even if it downgrades, the predicted synoptics are that huge it would still be a very notable event.

*Cue massive downgrades after a Rochey jinx* :-)

Posted

Catching up on this evenings events. What's the prospects then? I see orange - red warnings being floated about come sat if models continue to verify. Am I a tad excited? Yes. Am I a tad worried that it's too good to be true? Hell yeh. Am I ready for it? No.

I live approx 180-200m asl, with big hills around me to get to my house so now I'm thinking practically that if this happens, I may actually be snowed in and will need supplies. Closest shop within walking distance may not actually be able to receive deliveries as it's up a big hill. I may need to stock up on gas and groceries. Am I getting a bit carried away? Maybe lol

Anyone got snow chains for the car? Lol. How do they work when you've come out of a snow covered road on to a clear but gritted road? 

Posted
Just now, somofagun said:

Just don't tell the family yet whatever you do

?? Scared to say anything in case I jinx it ? Maybe by Fri/Sat I'll mention possibility of a few flurries come Monday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

Models look great this morning for a decent (exceptional) cold spell, ECM slowest to bring the cold enough uppers in but only by 2 days (Tuesday).

They are scary charts. Especially the snow risk charts. Schools could get closed here for a week if not more.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, The Weather Watcher said:

Models look great this morning for a decent (exceptional) cold spell, ECM slowest to bring the cold enough uppers in but only by 2 days (Tuesday).

They are scary charts. Especially the snow risk charts. Schools could get closed here for a week if not more.

The ECM op is at the top of the spectrum on the eps, the mean is exactly in line with the other models, so I’d say the form horse is a for an earlier than ECM op Programmed event, either Sunday or early Monday for the deep cold/snow to arrive 

Posted

Think I'll start stocking up on coal and essentials. Anyone in rural areas near the East coast should take heed, I would expect power outages and heavy drifts blocking roads and rail.

Posted

I lived in South West London for 79,87 events,. Now in Peterborough on the edge of the Fens. On the one hand I feel blase about the possibilities ie yes it will be cold but there won't be much disruption but on the other hand there is a part of me that thinks OMG if it was bad in 79 /87 in SW London then what the hell will it be like here