Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted

Let me get my ski’s ??. They really are quite poor. Well we will see reference easterly as it’s still a good way out but looks very good. But if they can’t get weather right within 5hrs I will hold back on this easterly for the moment but signs do look good. 

• Like 1

Posted

All looking so good too.

just goes to show how difficult it is to predict this type of weather in such a temperate little island on the edge of an ocean.

at least Ronan is getting his fix. He will be baying for spring on his return.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Roll on Spring.

Couldn’t agree more. Not that Iv had much of a winter anyway. Least we won’t have to put up with warning after warning coming to nothing in the east. BBQ and beer. The sooner the better in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Baltic Regions said:

All looking so good too.

just goes to show how difficult it is to predict this type of weather in such a temperate little island on the edge of an ocean.

at least Ronan is getting his fix. He will be baying for spring on his return.

Lol Baltic you could be right. Full blown Blizzard here this morning. First day of road trip put on hold for a few hours! 

Posted

Prob be gone tonight. It’s all too far ahead for my interest yet. Get to t1 forecasters hopefully call it right and we are in business. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Prob be gone tonight. It’s all too far ahead for my interest yet. Get to t1 forecasters hopefully call it right and we are in business. 

This one much different than all the phantom easterlys forecasted throughout this winter and winters passed record breaking SSW and the charts are mirrowing the spilit to be honest i couldn't care less if it didn't happen iv had more than my fair sure of snow this winter would take an early spring start of March, but there is no getting away from this one it's almost guaranteed to happen now.

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

This one much different than all the phantom easterlys forecasted throughout this winter and winters passed record breaking SSW and the charts are mirrowing the spilit to be honest i couldn't care less if it didn't happen iv had more than my fair sure of snow this winter would take an early spring start of March, but there is no getting away from this one it's almost guaranteed to happen now.

Well we will see soon enough. If i don’t get snow from this easterly I might as well give up! Prob miss me  and NW get it all again! :D

Ps. It must be great to have had that much snow that u don’t mind missing out on more. That’s a sign of a good winter all right. 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted
17 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

It's been a relatively snowy winter for parts this year. Personally I don't want a cold march but if it meant a glorious summer I could live with that. All set aside though I agree roll on spring!!

Im the same ready for spring would take it in March its just been ever ending repeat pattern since Dec snow every other week it seems.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Well we will see soon enough. If i don’t get snow from this easterly I might as well give up! Prob miss me  and NW get it all again! :D

Ps. It must be great to have had that much snow that u don’t mind missing out on more. That’s a sign of a good winter all right. 

Please don't think the NW gets it all :( Unless you have altitude its never so rosy over here especially in shower setups! Last Sunday was the first snow lying day in this part of Derry for the whole 2018. An easterly or potent Greenie high is what will deliver for all and with all these background signals I say your wait will be rewarded plentifully.

Posted

What another beautiful cloudless sunny day here. Def wish it was spring now. Bring it on I say. Not long now hopefully. Fingers crossed. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Neiller22 said:

What another beautiful cloudless sunny day here. Def wish it was spring now. Bring it on I say. Not long now hopefully. Fingers crossed. 

I presume you mean a warm Spring?

The way the models are looking we could be looking at a very very cold start to Spring and if the strat warming becomes a final warming then it could be 4-6 weeks before we see any real warmth.

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I presume you mean a warm Spring?

The way the models are looking we could be looking at a very very cold start to Spring and if the strat warming becomes a final warming then it could be 4-6 weeks before we see any real warmth.

Yes warm Spring. Think Iv just about had enough looking for any more snow here. Just doesn’t happen much anymore. So I would now rather have bbq and beers. We will see if the models prove right. Been down this road  to many times  with wonderful charts showing that come to zilch. 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted

Woke up to the lightest of dustings yesterday. I'm actually enjoying this weather. Nice bit of snow then by the end of the day it's gone so not disruptive. When the suns out the skies are a lovely deep blue. Bit different this morning very windy early morning and will have to go and rescue plant pots that have decided to relocate themselves around the garden. 

Weekend is is looking pretty decent.

• Like 1

Posted

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Surface temperatures are expected to fall overnight into Thursday with showers, falling as a mixture of sleet and snow at times, pushing eastwards across Northern Ireland during the night. Ice is expected to form on some untreated surfaces and with the showers some wash off of treatment is possible, particularly in northwestern parts.

Posted
3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Snow in the North West shocker!

Yes some snow showers via pm air looks likely tonight in to tomorrow in places....however after almost 3 months of these  rather frequent pm incursions, (which I have enjoyed immensly) this looks like being the last for some time, possibly for rest of winter , with the atmospheric conditions realigning significantly over coming days starting with a build of high pressure from the south this weekend, and then leading to some form of easterly / northeasterly  during next week to ten days or so. This new pattern with more northerly blocking, once established , could take hold well in to spring based on current thinking. Whether this leads to snowmagedon or something more benign remains to be seen but a big change in our weather pattern which has been stuck on repeat for last few months, now seems fairly  certain...... 

Edited by Bottled Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
1 hour ago, Bottled Snow said:

Yes some snow showers via pm air looks likely tonight in to tomorrow in places....however after almost 3 months of these  rather frequent pm incursions, (which I have enjoyed immensly) this looks like being the last for some time, possibly for rest of winter , with the atmospheric conditions realigning significantly over coming days starting with a build of high pressure from the south this weekend, and then leading to some form of easterly / northeasterly  during next week to ten days or so. This new pattern with more northerly blocking, once established , could take hold well in to spring based on current thinking. Whether this leads to snowmagedon or something more benign remains to be seen but a big change in our weather pattern which has been stuck on repeat for last few months, now seems fairly  certain...... 

I'm inclined to say the benign sort of spell seems more likely, but things are still not clear and probably won't be until the latter stages of this week as to whether the SSW is going to impact our weather or any HLB easily being shifted by a quick movement/rebuilt of the PV over Greenland.

Posted
44 minutes ago, The Weather Watcher said:

I'm inclined to say the benign sort of spell seems more likely, but things are still not clear and probably won't be until the latter stages of this week as to whether the SSW is going to impact our weather or any HLB easily being shifted by a quick movement/rebuilt of the PV over Greenland.

you could be right however I do believe that a cold or very cold spell will arrive via northern blocking but it could take until late next week to materialise. The latest anomoly charts which are normally a very good indicator are very strong in signal for this, versus the often flip flopping operational model runs. How long lasting is up for grabs but potentially cold at least in to early part of March and maybe longer would be my call. However all the pieces need to fall right and certainly no gurantee that will happen....fascinating to watch it all unfold though....this SSW is going to play havoc with models for some time yet ...