Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted

I cannot remember the last time I actually had a proper prolonged spell of snow instead of this showery set up. Those were the good old days. Radar drying up a bit now too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Another blizzard rolling through...depth can be judged off car.

IMG_0265.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful here again. Lovely sunshine with the odd snow shower. Just been for a run and in the sun it’s lovely. Going by radar that’s me finished the snow showers. Roll on spring now I say. 

Posted
47 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Roll on spring now I say. 

I wouldn't be hoping for any early warm Spring.

Whilst the Easterly is bust for now, i think that's just because we are not going to see an early tropospheric response to the SSW, but now more likely to see a delayed response of another 3 to 4 weeks.

Posted

Unfortunately with that anything that falls will be gone in an hr due to suns strength unless it is a bitter easterly but I guess u never know. March was great last time we had proper snow. 

Posted

I reckon there will be plenty more snow coming in after dark. A snowy night ahead for some I think. Have certainly lost quite a bit of snow today due to the sun but temps won't be long dropping this evening. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, ronan said:

I reckon there will be plenty more snow coming in after dark. A snowy night ahead for some I think. Have certainly lost quite a bit of snow today due to the sun but temps won't be long dropping this evening. 

Well I don’t want any more showers until sun goes down as they are pointless at the mo. So I hope ur right Ronan. 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Unfortunately with that anything that falls will be gone in an hr due to suns strength unless it is a bitter easterly but I guess u never know. March was great last time we had proper snow. 

Ground was wet and its not overly cold. If it's cold enough it'll stick but I get what you're saying. An proper easterly or proper Northerly needed for it lay proper for days. 

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted

This Evening and Tonight:

Clear periods and frequent sleet and snow showers with further accumulations especially on higher ground. Strong westerly winds taking showers across most areas. Widespread frost and risk of ice. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Monday:

Bright spells with wintry showers gradually dying out. Winds becoming southerly and increasing strong during evening then some heavy rain and hill snow arriving overnight, with gales along east coast. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Any rain or snow clearing early Tuesday then sunshine and isolated wintry showers. Milder on Wednesday with some rain. Then colder on Thursday but bright with showers, some wintry.

Updated: 14:53 on Sun 11 

Posted

Has to be said for all the hype this has been a pretty poor affair. I’ve no idea were meto see the frequent showers are coming from. 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted

Temps dropped to 1degree, already feeling colder than earlier, the last shower here was heavy and has left a good coating. Hopefully showers continue through this evening and through the night.

Any showers today melted away quickly, if they hadn’t I would have at least an inch or 2

Would be good to see some of these showers starting to merge now

Edited by Weegaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow

We have a nice strong snow shower happening now, Its been on and off for a good while but has just started sitting :D 

Posted

HAD a nice big heavy shower there that fairly covered the areas that melted on roads earlier. BEst snow shower of the day. Looks to Be more heading this way going back the big dark clouds heading my way 

Posted

A light dusting this morning after a few snow showers and just a flurry this afternoon when caught the edge of a passing shower ....bitterly cold though .....see the models are swinging towards an easterly again .... 

Edited by Bottled Snow

Posted
39 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Has to be said for all the hype this has been a pretty poor affair. I’ve no idea were meto see the frequent showers are coming from. 

I'm not sure there was hype, especially for us in the East. If all the snow showers which we had today had stuck we would have had 5cm at least.

Hopefully now with the sun going down any showers we do get will lay.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bottled Snow said:

....see the models are swinging towards an easterly again .... 

Well the GFS and GEM have but we are back to past day 8 or 9.

Lets see what the ECM offers shortly.

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Well the GFS and GEM have but we are back to past day 8 or 9.

Lets see what the ECM offers shortly.

It’s what I’m pinning my hopes on. At least any showers off the Irish in an easterly or north easterly won’t die a death before they reach me. 

Posted

Everything mostly still bare, pavements and such. Grass in shade retaining most of the snow cover from the morning. Hopefully tonight things can cool down and the showers can start packing a punch.