Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
32 minutes ago, ronan said:

The outlook looks cold going by the week ahead forecast. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/43012565

Bloody Nora! Mon eve and Weds look great for persistent snow then briefly milder and more snow and the easterly  is mentioned.

• Like 1

Posted

Met office and Met Eireann latest forecasts are quite different to say the least. Confusion wouldn't be in it. One says snow chiefly on high ground for Sat night  and Sunday with snow in heavier showers the other says showers turning increasingly wintry with accumulations  Monday one states wet and windy later Monday the other states rain turning to snow many areas. Is it any wonder people don't know whats going on. :nonono:

Posted

And the forecast text for NI on the BBC website is more encouraging for snow than the Met office text to add further confusion. 

Euro4 looking very bullish. Best of Winter so far I believe. Significant accumulations. 

Slight chance of a warning for this evening too with rain clearing turning wintry in places. IMO snow warning will be upgraded today for tomorrow. Possibly Amber/Orange from both Mets. 

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted
1 hour ago, Sneachtastorm said:

ECM has also dropped the Easterly this morning. Model thread will be interesting. 

Not only dropped it but brought in South Westerlies instead!

Posted
2 hours ago, Sneachtastorm said:

ECM has also dropped the Easterly this morning. Model thread will be interesting. 

well if this easterly does not arrive,  I will take these frequent polar shots....even though short lived they are really potent this year....although would be nice to go out with a bang with a deep cold beasterly if this SSW can deliver   

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

NI Weather In Facebook:-

Morning folks.  Happy Saturday ?

Slightly milder today with some rain to come later today and into this evening, becoming heavy.  As this starts to clear east into tonight there is a risk that it may turn to snow on its back edge especially in eastern areas. We may issue a warning for this later.

Once this clears it will be followed by sleet and snow showers as colder air returns, showers heavy at times and again these most frequent in the North and West.  Continuing throughout Sunday giving accumulations. Warnings will be issued later today.

• Like 2

Posted

Met office snow warning 0005 Monday to 1500 Monday

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Frequent showers of hail and snow are expected through Monday morning and the first half of Monday afternoon. Showers will be heavy, with lightning an additional hazard. 2-5 cm of snow is likely to accumulate relatively widely, with some areas, particularly above 150 m, possibly seeing 6-10 cm of snow. Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow, with temporary blizzard conditions over higher routes. The showers will gradually become less frequent and heavy through the day.

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted

Rain warning for today mentions the possibility of 5cm of above 250m and 1 to 2cm of snow is possible to low levels  as the rain clears especially in the East. 

Also really strange their snow warning for tomorrow hasn't been updated yet. Amber perhaps... 

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted

Sunday warning updated for all day now. Not great compared with Monday. Bit confused by it tbh 

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A very cold westerly airstream will bring frequent snow showers to many western and central areas on Sunday. 2-5 cm of snow may accumulate above 150 m with some snow to low levels too, particularly across Northern Ireland and Scotland. 10 cm or more is possible above 300 m in western Scotland, with drifting in the strong westerly winds.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

Rain warning for today mentions the possibility of 5cm of above 250m and 1 to 2cm of snow is possible to low levels  as the rain clears especially in the East. 

Also really strange their snow warning for tomorrow hasn't been updated yet. Amber perhaps... 

I really think once the band clears tonight it will only be showers and as I said before with the sunshine in between accumulations will be small for most tomorrow

Posted
4 minutes ago, bma79 said:

Could be few snowed in days this week if it works out the way the MetO are saying it's going.

I’ll take one for the team bma and volunteer myself to be snowed in  :yahoo:

looking good by there update how every confusing it is based on some models.....but their the experts I suppose

Edited by Weegaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

@Sperrin

another 20cm....

Nice one, Steve. This is an unprecedented winter for me since I moved up here. Completely lost count of number of lying snow days. 

Hoping you all get the Easterly you all crave, models on top troll mode this year!!

Posted
3 hours ago, Sperrin said:

Nice one, Steve. This is an unprecedented winter for me since I moved up here. Completely lost count of number of lying snow days. 

Hoping you all get the Easterly you all crave, models on top troll mode this year!!

20mm would be welcome in East Belfast,  I'm not a high maintenance sort of a girl, quality not quantity ?

Posted

Pretty stunning GFS 12z.

Would be locked in bitter cold for a couple of weeks.

Could be best spell since November/December 2010

Hopefully the 12z ECM comes to the party.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Pretty stunning GFS 12z.

Rain a bit sleet here getting. Brilliant MS. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Pretty stunning GFS 12z.

Have a look at Gefs some belters in there to.

Posted
4 minutes ago, BFS/BHD said:

Serious rainfall over the country ATM. Look at those pinks on radar. 

You're not wrong.

Hopefully will turn to snow on back edge as it clears East.