Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Some serious windchill factors tomorrow morning and monday morning  going down to -9 levels in my neck of the woods(west Wicklow), we seem to be one of the coldest areas from a NW flow, hoping for some dustings at least on both occasions, also EURO4 model has -11 at 850hPA level tomorrow 6AM just above us, which would be the coldest numerical value since long long time

windchill.gif

windchill 2.gif

nae -11.gif

Edited by jules216
  • Like 2

Posted

Sunday really firming up to be a very cold and wintry day. Frequent heavy snow showers appear fairly widespread.

Obviously some areas will do better than others, but pleasing to see none the less.

Posted

Interestingly the snow warning for tonight has been increased in terms of possible impacts. It moved up 3 places on the scale from the initial warning. Just one place off Amber. It was initially 4. The previous snow warning earlier in the week met the bare minimum criteria to issue a yellow warning. 

IMG_20180208_104818.png

Edited by Sneachtastorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

@booferking This is truly an epic winter for snow. It's got to the stage how were I didnt even open the curtains  this week when snow was hammering down. I never thought that would be the case.

My metal shed roof has collapsed at the front (neighbours too) due to the weight of snow from a few weeks back!

On another note, Im working in Clifden in Co Galway today. This part of the world is phenomenal. The views around Leenane are out of this world. My photograph off crap work phone doesn't do it justice. 

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

Interestingly the snow warning for tonight has been increased in terms of possible impacts. It moved up 3 places on the scale from the initial warning. Just one place off Amber. It was initially 4. The previous snow warning earlier in the week met the bare minimum criteria to issue a yellow warning. 

IMG_20180208_104818.png

I’d say that’s only because it has been extended further south into England 

Posted
34 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

IMG_20180208_104818.png

The difference between the 2 risk assessments is tonight’s is less likely to happen but if it does it may have more impact to travel etc. It’s not 3 points closer to amber.

Posted

Not a happy mod thread as the phantom easterly is no closer. I personally can’t see it happening as its virtually impossible to get an easterly nowadays. It hints at it but then disappears which is not a good sign. Always fl 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted

I won't get too excited here in the West about tonight as I think the usual will happen in that the heavier precipitation goes through before temps drop. However Sunday looks good for all.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
12 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Not a happy mod thread as the phantom easterly is no closer. I personally can’t see it happening as its virtually impossible to get an easterly nowadays. It hints at it but then disappears which is not a good sign. Always fl 

If anything comes out of the upcoming ssw I really hope it's a Greenland high. A Scandinavian one will most likely led to disappointment for Ireland whatever about the UK. Anyway it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Edited by sundog

Posted
27 minutes ago, gman144 said:

The difference between the 2 risk assessments is tonight’s is less likely to happen but if it does it may have more impact to travel etc. It’s not 3 points closer to amber.

No you're reading it wrong. The first bar on the left means low impact and whether it's likely or highly likely there will be low impacts. Anything which progresses to the second/middle bar means medium impacts which is an upgrade from the previous bar of low impacts, the middle bar exceeds and goes beyond the criteria needed for very likely in low impacts. It's 1 point off Amber.  I sent an email to the Met office when the warnings came out asking them to explain it. 

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted

Well Angies forecast is pretty poor to say the least. Tonight doesn’t look like much at all with lying snow restricted to higher ground and Sunday had sunshine and a few snow showers. Prob why there is no warning out at the mo for late sat and Sunday. Strange forecast as it’s against what models show. Ah well. We will see what happens. 

Posted
47 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Well Angies forecast is pretty poor to say the least. Tonight doesn’t look like much at all with lying snow restricted to higher ground and Sunday had sunshine and a few snow showers. Prob why there is no warning out at the mo for late sat and Sunday. Strange forecast as it’s against what models show. Ah well. We will see what happens. 

BBC automated showing snow all day sunday, I appreciate automated, but showing snow all the same.  Hopefully the vidoe forecasts change later, would be good to see the MetO issue warnings, it could be tomorrow before they have confidence and within 48hr window.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

BBC automated showing snow all day sunday, I appreciate automated, but showing snow all the same.  Hopefully the vidoe forecasts change later, would be good to see the MetO issue warnings, it could be tomorrow before they have confidence and within 48hr window.

We will see. It was first thing this morning I watched but looked pretty pants. Yes tomorrow possible warning for sat night sun. It looks good on models but it may be a radar job on the day. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

BBC automated showing snow all day sunday, 

For you maybe, for us in the East, it's a case of looking at the radar and seeing if any showers make it past Lough Neagh.

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

For you maybe, for us in the East, it's a case of looking at the radar and seeing if any showers make it past Lough Neagh.

Yeah has me dry all day that’s the problem with nw winds not much happens this side. Been a great winter for NW nothing special at all here apart from dec. But maybe Sunday will provide but I just can’t see it for me here. 

Posted
47 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Yeah has me dry all day that’s the problem with nw winds not much happens this side. Been a great winter for NW nothing special at all here apart from dec. But maybe Sunday will provide but I just can’t see it for me here. 

You have to think our luck will change at some point. The more chances we get the more likely we'll do well.

I wouldn't be concerned about the BBC forecasts, they're generally poor when looking 2/3 days ahead on the specifics.

Posted

Look how close the 510 dam line gets to us for Sunday not often you see that from the west convection will be epic coming of the Atlantic with such cold air.

la1.png

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

You have to think our luck will change at some point. The more chances we get the more likely we'll do well.

I wouldn't be concerned about the BBC forecasts, they're generally poor when looking 2/3 days ahead on the specifics.

The lunchtime BBC1 local forecast was pants! Hill snow and sleet tonight - no mention of wintriness to low levels, then rain over the weekend with much colder temperatures on Sunday. Again no mention of snow to low levels. I hope we aren't over-hyping it in here but surely there will be snow to low levels!? As you say, poor forecasts on the specifics!

Edited by SnowJon

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowJon said:

The lunchtime BBC1 local forecast was pants! Hill snow and sleet tonight - no mention of wintriness to low levels, then rain over the weekend with much colder temperatures on Sunday. Again no mention of snow to low levels. I hope we aren't over-hyping it in here but surely there will be snow to low levels!? As you say, poor forecasts on the specifics!

Well if it cant snow on low ground with 510 dam line & -3 to -5 dew points on are shores then I'll eat my hat.

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

Well if it cant snow on low ground with 510 dam line & -3 to -5 dew points on are shores then I'll eat my hat.

I'll join you! :D