Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Roads are like bottles out there already with ice any snow should lie well now. I'm sure the Coleraine mountain will be fun in the morning for my 7 am start in work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
1 hour ago, Sneachtastorm said:

@Sperrin Did your snow survive today? 

Roads pretty much all clear but not too much melt around the garden/fields. Showers dying a good bit when moving inland, don't expect much through rest of the night, tbh. 

Much action round your way?

Posted

Clear crisp blue skies here all day. Lovely day and a low of -5 maybe tonight! No chance of snow mind you!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Clear crisp blue skies here all day. Lovely day and a low of -5 maybe tonight! No chance of snow mind you!

None what so ever I’m afraid. Maybe we will hit the jackpot with this easterly/ North easterly they are all ramping up at the min and we will then get our share. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy
25 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

You guys are certainly gettin it all this winter. Send a Wee bit over here 

The showers are only short and light we only have a dusting. I'd not mind some more in the night but I also don't either I have to leave for work at half 6 in the morning lol. I've never had much more than a dusting this winter it's mostly missed limavady or been sleet.

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

My dear Northern Irish friends, you seem to be doing very well this winter and the best run might just come for you this Sunday, have a look at these charts attached.

IMG1 - T2M

IMG2 - T850hPa

IMG3 - Snow depth 

This is for Sunday evening 6pm

Charts courtesy of Kachelmannwetter.com

de_model-de-310-1_modez_2018020612_126_949_1.png

de_model-de-310-1_modez_2018020612_126_949_308.png

de_model-de-310-1_modez_2018020612_126_949_108.png

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, jules216 said:

My dear Northern Irish friends, you seem to be doing very well this winter and the best run might just come for you this Sunday, have a look at these charts attached.

IMG1 - T2M

IMG2 - T850hPa

IMG3 - Snow depth 

This is for Sunday evening 6pm

Charts courtesy of Kachelmannwetter.com

de_model-de-310-1_modez_2018020612_126_949_1.png

de_model-de-310-1_modez_2018020612_126_949_308.png

de_model-de-310-1_modez_2018020612_126_949_108.png

As long as I get up the road and over the Glenshane to catch my flight to Iceland on Monday. Lol

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

@Sperrin Aye decent. About 1 inch on the ground and another shower on the way. Have to say met eireann update at 4pm was thick, said wintry showers mainly in the NW, mostly of rain and hail dying away this evening . Mostly rain and hail? What are they on. 

Same stuff met office are on by the looks of it for issuing a snow warning for the WHOLE of Northern Ireland. Ridiculous

Edited by Neiller22

Posted
22 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

met eireann update at 4pm was thick

15 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Same stuff met office are on by the looks of it

I understand your disappointment, but you really have no clue how difficult it is to say if it will snow in my back yard (etc) in these the of set ups. Your comments on the thoroughly professional forecasters of both organisations is really out of order I feel.

• Like 1

Posted

Getting a wee bit heated in here folks. Yes it is frustrating in respect of warnings and a lot of places not seeing snow when a warning has been issued. There is snow in the ground here and in no way does it warrant a warning but is nice to see. As the years go on warnings are being given for minor events. 5+ years ago a warning would never have been given for what we have now but I would imagine most of the time the MET services are just covering their backs. Still plenty winter left yet and I hope everyone sees a little snow at some stage. 

Posted

That’s my point. Years ago warnings for this would never be out but I gather it’s because they go after cover their backs for whatever reason 

Posted
48 minutes ago, Juuyoku said:

Came home from work to a couple of inches. 

20180206_220645.jpg

I guess that's why warnings were issued ???

Localised as is normally the case with showers, and thats why forecasters have to issue warnings for a wider area - as some places in that area will be effected. 

I agree though that warnings were only issued in the past for severe events. Check out the splendid forecast by the late great Ian McAskill on YouTube of Jan 1987 severe spell which was one of the coldest and snowiest spells of the 20th century - and not a warning in sight....ah the good old days

BS

Edited by Bottled Snow