Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

Posted
1 hour ago, The Eagle said:

Pretty good in Dublin for a while. Thawed significantly but temperatures falling back.

What??? Nothing here. A few flakes then sleet and washed whatever fell away! Are you high up?

Posted
9 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

OK. Of all the disappointments in the last 8 years, this is by far the worst!

All the baseline figures were in place, the precipitation was supposedly heavy enough and the ground was dry and cold enough.

Apart from the few flakes covering at it's inception, this has turned into slizzle. Melted the few flakes that have settled. The radar is even less encouraging. The lamp post looks like a swarm of fu***** mosquitos as opposed to falling butterflies.

In fact, as I look out now, the droplets are all rain. With a few slizzles thrown in. Balls to that ladies! The dog is going to bed!

The Dublin snow shield fights back... It's like Terminator Vs Terminator!

I understand your frustrations Rochey but unless we get a proper beast or a once in 20 year battleground bonanza we here in the east of Ireland are always going to miss out on the fun.  Last night was never in the running for anything truly worth getting excited or more especially disappointed about.

Posted
8 minutes ago, minus86BriJ said:

I understand your frustrations Rochey but unless we get a proper beast or a once in 20 year battleground bonanza we here in the east of Ireland are always going to miss out on the fun.  Last night was never in the running for anything truly worth getting excited or more especially disappointed about.

I understand what’s required for a 2010 type event, I’m around a long time! My disappointment for last night was that all the predicted figures were more than enough for falling and lying snow. Uppers of -9??? not happy, in fact I’m quite sad!!! Yet the precipitation was so light and it fell as sleety drizzle!!! Urban heating is often too strong and over rides the natural signals it would appear.

Edited by Rocheydub

Posted
18 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

PPN now coming from a NNW direction.  Some big blobs could give a wee top up to some areas throughout the day.

Yeah and starting to pep up a little. Whatever falls shouldn't have any issues lying.

Posted

A wee bit of snow falling in Belfast City Centre.

Given this is sea level, this is fourth or fifth time that snow has fallen into the City this Winter and in each of the three months too. Very rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Lovely heavy shower falling in Omagh now. I've had a very busy few days so haven't kept up to speed on the models. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect over the coming days?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Lovely heavy shower falling in Omagh now. I've had a very busy few days so haven't kept up to speed on the models. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect over the coming days?

I'm using something similar to picture below for forecasting at present.

Cold week, snowy intervals, ice and slightly milder friday to sunday then possibly colder next week.

Alot of radar watching at present, alot of disappointment from weather front last night, but we've done well this winter imo.

weather-stone.jpg

Posted

New weather warning out for Thursday evening in to Friday - snow showers following the front!

Rain, sleet and hill snow is expected to clear northwestern Scotland late on Thursday evening, and these clearer conditions will spread to all parts by early Friday morning. Ice is expected to form as skies clear. Heavy snow showers will follow, and these will be most frequent across Northern Ireland and western Scotland, where 2-5 cm may accumulate above 100 m with some snow to low levels too. Ice will be the main hazard across Northern England and Wales.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-08

Posted
Just now, SnowJon said:

New weather warning out for Thursday evening in to Friday - snow showers following the front!

They just keep on coming however they are not amounting to much snow it has to be said. Least we have a chance but I’m beginning to take these warnings with a pinch of salt lately 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Neiller22 said:

They just keep on coming however they are not amounting to much snow it has to be said. Least we have a chance but I’m beginning to take these warnings with a pinch of salt lately 

Me too to be fair!
Although we have seen a good bit of snow falling this Winter - not much has settled. Still time for that to change though!

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowJon said:

Me too to be fair!
Although we have seen a good bit of snow falling this Winter - not much has settled. Still time for that to change though!

O absolutely. Put it this way. Better having warnings for snow than none at all like rest of uk who will be going into meltdown again. However their easterly is not far away. :D

Posted
34 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

O absolutely. Put it this way. Better having warnings for snow than none at all like rest of uk who will be going into meltdown again. However their easterly is not far away. :D

Snow warnings, pinks on the radar, snow on the ground and a chill in the air......who needs an easterly anyway.

384hrs out there seems to be one currently being 'nailed on'.

• Like 1

Posted

Another we flurry here now. Yes everybody including professionals seem to be going for this easterly mid month onwards. Great for me here if it comes off but I’m not counting my chickens by a long  shot. I’m just looking forward to this  continuous cold zonal for the next 7-10 days. 

Posted

Yet again the recurring story of the year, the showers just not frequent enough.. the snow has no problem laying its just that all we get are recurring dustings because the showers just don't come in time before the last batch melted. That trough will be the saving grace if it comes.

Posted
48 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Yet again the recurring story of the year, the showers just not frequent enough.. the snow has no problem laying its just that all we get are recurring dustings because the showers just don't come in time before the last batch melted. That trough will be the saving grace if it comes.

Not expecting much from the trough at all even if it comes which is doubtful especially after last nights! 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted
5 minutes ago, ronan said:

I actually have high hopes of seeing a few cms this evening. Things starting to pep up a little to the north now.  

Was just looking at that Ronan, radar getting a bit livelier.  SAT24 showing plently of cloud to the NNW, hopefully PPN picks up.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Was just looking at that Ronan, radar getting a bit livelier.  SAT24 showing plently of cloud to the NNW, hopefully PPN picks up.

We will see