Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/2018 Onwards

ronan

5 minutes ago, Nqp15h said:

Did it though? From what I can see most of the posters in County Down etc are at high elevation.

There is no snow in Belfast or Bangor is there?

As far as I seen Antrim got dlobbered not sure about Bangor though no word

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nqp15h said:

Did it though? From what I can see most of the posters in County Down etc are at high elevation.

There is no snow in Belfast or Bangor is there?

Belfast is a big city though. At sea level in the town there is nothing, but go up the surrounding hills into Four Winds in South Belfast or Glengormley in North Belfast there is snow still lying.

Posted

Aye, all those places are at elevation,lol.

Anyway, it's looking more able tonight, so i'll see what happens.

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted

Some amount of crying here, aslong as you get to see it fall who cares, its not gona lay for weeks like 2010 lol 

Anyyyway, coming from the ole man, Rain turned to snow in strabane last night, got a nice wee covering, and thats 15 foot above sea level, if you check the radar always last place to turn pink lol
Belfast just got rain/heavy sleet last night, had to play football in it. Tuesday evening the snow started to lay and an inch or 2 was laying on all roads!
It seems the west/north west always does bad from west/northwest winds, it comes in too warm off the sea and stays as sleet til it reaches the sperrins. only way for a proper dumping there is a direct northerly, with uppers -8 and below.

Also, I'm sure its harder to get snow in limavady compared to derry, even as close as eglington is usually 2 degrees + warmer than derry, and you're closer to the sea again

Edited by Hegzyy
  • Like 1

Posted

Thought I walked in to the model thread there!! 1 massive chill pill needed. Just look forward to tonight and see what happens. 

Edited by ronan

Posted

I think it's the lough. Tbh, I don't usually do too bad outside of marginal situations.

If we get a northernly wind like you said it was usually fine.

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted
57 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

As far as I seen Antrim got dlobbered not sure about Bangor though no word

Yep we saw a cm or 2 in Bangor on Tuesday evening which stayed on the ground for about 24 hours! I posted a pic on here actually at the time:

20180116_200520.jpg

20180116_200931.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Hegzyy said:

Some amount of crying here, aslong as you get to see it fall who cares, its not gona lay for weeks like 2010 lol 

Anyyyway, coming from the ole man, Rain turned to snow in strabane last night, got a nice wee covering, and thats 15 foot above sea level, if you check the radar always last place to turn pink lol
Belfast just got rain/heavy sleet last night, had to play football in it. Tuesday evening the snow started to lay and an inch or 2 was laying on all roads!
It seems the west/north west always does bad from west/northwest winds, it comes in too warm off the sea and stays as sleet til it reaches the sperrins. only way for a proper dumping there is a direct northerly, with uppers -8 and below.

Also, I'm sure its harder to get snow in limavady compared to derry, even as close as eglington is usually 2 degrees + warmer than derry, and you're closer to the sea again

I'm about 20 mins away over the border and 60ft or so up. 3 inches fell here last night. 

I disagree that we need a Northerly. I've always done well out of NW and W and even a couple of SW of Canadian Arctic origin over the last few years. SW surprisingly was very good. 

The reason the West didn't fair as good this time was because the wind was so strong, it reminded me of a similar espisode back in Jan 2015. Cavan Monaghan and same areas of NI did well then two when the West was pronged to get the worst. Under the strong winds the coastal hail pushes way further in land than usual. I'm 20 miles from the coast but with both these events 85% of what fell was hail, still had snow too and a covering but nothing like the above areas. Having said that above 100m faired much better, our problem wasn't being less cold, it was the unstable flow under strong winds brought us mostly hail. 

In regards to this warning, Western Areas will fair much better as the wind won't be as strong. As usual places right at the coast won't fair as good, but areas in the West which didn't fair as good on Tuesday will do much better. Anyway we did better last night so nothing to complain about from me. Good to see most getting in on the action. 

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted

Just for fun I checked the weather for Slieve Donard on the Met office website. It's -3 to -6 today, with a constant gale blowing, gusts in the 50s with a windchill of -16 at 852m above sea level. Altitude makes such a crazy difference especially  in our marginal set ups. Different world up there. Just out of curiosity, anyone know roughly where the highest house would be in NI or Donegal and what M Asl haha

Edited by Sneachtastorm

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

Just for fun I checked the weather for Slieve Donard on the Met office website. It's -3 to -6 today, with a constant gale blowing, gusts in the 50s with a windchill of -16 at 852m above sea level. Altitude makes such a crazy difference especially  in our marginal set ups. Different world up there. Just out of curiosity, anyone know roughly where the highest house would be in NI or Donegal and what M Asl haha

There is a house at 300 metres near me, but I would think the highest house is roughly around 400 metres. There isn't a lot of vegetation above 400 metres so people wouldn't live up there.

Edited by Nqp15h

I apologize to all for my incessant whining! It just can get a bit frustrating especially this year when it was all chop and switch. Anyway everything set  ground definitely is not as wet as it was last night not sure about the temperatures but thats a story for another day..

Posted

Can't see any precipitation come over this far, but if it does, it will fall as snow...

Posted
8 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

I apologize to all for my incessant whining! It just can get a bit frustrating especially this year when it was all chop and switch. Anyway everything set  ground definitely is not as wet as it was last night not sure about the temperatures but thats a story for another day..

They're probably talking about me. Temperatures are hovering between 2-3c, at low levels, dews are 1c.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILDYBOOM2&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted

Beep forecast not encouraging, just talking about sleet and snow on the hills

Posted

Latest update just now

This Evening and Tonight:

Showers turning increasingly to snow at lower levels and becoming heavy at times, particularly in the northwest. Slight to moderate snowfall, locally heavy on high ground. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Posted

Well, the EURO4 suggests colder air coming in from 6pm, so I would wait and see, especially after last night's debacle.  

Temperatures have fallen to 2c here, so in my mind it wouldn't take much.

Edited by Nqp15h

Posted