Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
48 minutes ago, Ramp said:

I remember having a 12 hr blizzard from that non event.

Not the heaviest snow but probably the best blizzard here since 1979.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Not the heaviest snow but probably the best blizzard here since 1979.

Some of the drifts were insane in parts in the March 2013 event. Unfortunately, the rain shadow meant we saw very little where I am. We fared much better in Jan and Nov 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Some of the drifts were insane in parts in the March 2013 event. Unfortunately, the rain shadow meant we saw very little where I am. We fared much better in Jan and Nov 2010.

Finally found someone who suffered from that rain shadow on that fateful day.  Places everywhere on the compass seemed to get the heavy snow, but a little dome opened up around places north east and east of Manchester and very little snow fell here.  Got the winds though and I only had to make a short trip up to the Hills to see the huge drifts up there.  

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Some reckon Scotland has had its snowiest weather since 2010, they've done really well, whilst we have had nothing better than scraps, but good things come to those who wait. :pardon:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Down to 1.0 C already. Colder than forecast by far. A good sign. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Some reckon Scotland has had its snowiest weather since 2010, they've done really well, whilst we have had nothing better than scraps, but good things come to those who wait. :pardon:

Looking at pics the central belt definitely has.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

0.4°C now, on a free-fall.

About to get 8th air frost of the season.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Oh for a repeat of that blizzard.

the retaining wall in the first picture is over 10 feet high and there was still the last remains of snow behind walls on the tops in early May.

4D0F00F7-3E7C-4AE2-86F3-D8E81E9ED13A.jpeg

F046CA66-2B08-4BB7-830A-3CB992A357E9.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

Thought I'd have a snow day today and went for a drive over edale & Buxton. Wasn't disappointed. IMG-20180120-WA0072.thumb.jpg.734406acfe4911753f4834ca7469059e.jpgIMG-20180120-WA0060.thumb.jpg.b93c3caa3c2dc8cc8f4217aa2d0e1c68.jpg20180120_163533.thumb.jpg.9a7dd9a5d844e028751c26824ea6da60.jpg20180120_163332.thumb.jpg.651382595732103dea0b6f284f37caa0.jpg20180120_163220.thumb.jpg.75f6ed34cff825332e1403d9fbcd2b65.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Oh for a repeat of that blizzard.

the retaining wall in the first picture is over 10 feet high and there was still the last remains of snow behind walls on the tops in early May.

4D0F00F7-3E7C-4AE2-86F3-D8E81E9ED13A.jpeg

F046CA66-2B08-4BB7-830A-3CB992A357E9.jpeg

That's amazing. Would love to see that at the coast, although if that happened you guys would probably be buried under your houses.

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

That's amazing. Would love to see that at the coast, although if that happened you guys would probably be buried under your houses.

I think the West coast of Cumbria and IOM got even more snow from that system than we did.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine

I don't think you'll be disappointed astral. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
56 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

0.4°C now, on a free-fall.

About to get 8th air frost of the season.  

1.6C here.. I may get an airfrost overnight too.. but yours is falling faster

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, iand61 said:

I think the West coast of Cumbria and IOM got even more snow from that system than we did.

May have done, I might try and dig the thread out on here. Did you manage to measure it out of interest? If it was the 23rd or even another one around the 12/13th  I remember that event being forecast to hit where I was living at the time getting all excited and waking up to a big fat layer of nothing. Those events were on the back of a generally cold winter though. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

May have done, I might try and dig the thread out on here. Did you manage to measure it out of interest? If it was the 23rd or even another one around the 12/13th  I remember that event being forecast to hit where I was living at the time getting all excited and waking up to a big fat layer of nothing. Those events were on the back of a generally cold winter though. 

Ours was the 23rd and the actual depth of snow that fell wasn’t that great, maybe 6 inches but it was powder type and it just blew into massive drifts leaving the fields all green.

Posted
23 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

agreed- cumbria is absolutely pants, but lets be honest here, the whole region is PANTS!

Interesting to see differences in snowline on a travel through the centre of the Lake District today. Snowline about 200 metres along Thirlmere and towards St Johns in Vale, but it then climbs to nearly 300 metres alongside A66 towards Troutbeck. However, it doesn't take long to fine knee deep snow - 400 metres, had temps past few days been couple degrees colder, then the central lakes valley level would have been buried in the stuff - still it has made for excellent photos, the green valleys set against the snowy domes of the fells - superb!

Word on tomorrow, could be about to see a repeat of 29 Dec, the front looks like arriving about the same time, we had 4 cms, not bad, nd it took until lunchtime before it tfizzled out, it rapidly thawed though. This time we will have denser colder air ahead of the front, and it looks like the front will have some heavier precipitation on it and be slower moving taking longer to cross us, so we might see a bit more snow, and hopefully it won't turn to rain until well in the afternoon to give at least a few hours of heavy snowfall. We do very well in these kind of set ups, the snow can linger for quite some time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Might get 5 minutes worth here if we're lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
31 minutes ago, iand61 said:

south west coast of cumbria got absolutely pasted down to sea level, north of sellafield there was nothing at all because of a big rain shadow, that event scarred me for life.

IOM also got the most since 1963 apparently

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
10 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Ours was the 23rd and the actual depth of snow that fell wasn’t that great, maybe 6 inches but it was powder type and it just blew into massive drifts leaving the fields all green.

We were just talking about that day all the snow blew off my field into my garden which is much lower and filled it up with massive drifts which blocked all the gates and steps and we had gone away for the weekend and left my poor neighbor to look after the animals 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

1.1C, exactly where it should be 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

FWIW the GFS showing more interest than yesterday in the snowline being further West.

15-574UK.thumb.GIF.6d7c1d18eec6de5d09b1f823e06fd691.GIF