Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

The whole warning system is designed for the modern day “I want it now generation”,totally useless and a backward step compared to yesteryear. I’m in my late 50s and the standard of forecasting has definitely been dumbed down for the masses to the point that I don’t bother to watch or read them anymore.

You say they have dumbed it down, but people here are complaining that, too many warnings stop people taking notice.    Well isnt that treating people as dumb, the meto are hoping people have enough sense to read the warning and understand the likeliness element.   To assume people cant do that and change the system would truly dumb it down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Today looked very good a few days ago.. now it's a bust. I have no faith in Sunday delivering whatsoever.

I wouldn't go that far mate, going to have a look at everything available later for Sunday and see how it looks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Just now, frosty ground said:

How many people talk about yellow warnings?  

The warning are not only for the public but for local authorities etc

I have heard people talk about them yes because usually the Express or the Sun get hold of them and people read about it.

As for today's forecast .. if you've read my posts in the past you'll know that I have a liking for all types of weather so if it doesn't snow I'm not terribly upset.. it'll happen again eventually. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Just hope the SSW towards the end of the month delivers but even that doesn't guarantee cold for us, the cold could end up stopping at Germany and not moving any further west, still at least we have a straw to clutch. Winter weather far from over. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, chris78 said:

You say they have dumbed it down, but people here are complaining that, too many warnings stop people taking notice.    Well isnt that treating people as dumb, the meto are hoping people have enough sense to read the warning and understand the likeliness element.   To assume people cant do that and change the system would truly dumb it down.

I come from a generation that didn’t have all this nonsense thrusted upon them and yet somehow we still managed to get on with it. I understand the warnings system but there really is no need for it but then we live in a safe space sort of world these days.?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Just hope the SSW towards the end of the month delivers but even that doesn't guarantee cold for us, the cold could end up stopping at Germany and not moving any further west, still at least we have a straw to clutch. Winter weather far from over. 

I just hope it doesn’t deliver a cold spring, but then again the weather will do whatever the hell it likes to do. ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Cheshire Gap Streamer setting up Giving Snow in the NW Midlands from reports on there Thread.

Typically as I type sat in work at the Airport under Blue skies.

C.S

Posted
14 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

How many people talk about yellow warnings?  

The warning are not only for the public but for local authorities etc

I work in an office and i often hear colleagues talk about a snow warning. I hardly ever hear about other warnings but for snow almost always.

Posted

I suppose if I was going to criticise the met then I'd say that the warning should not have covered the whole of Cumbria (I didn't look further south). Somebody put charts up on here yesterday (I'm not sure from which model) which showed freezing level and a couple of other parameters. The freezing level for west Cumbria was 400m immediately on the coast, 300m just in land. Where I live it was 100m. And as it happens I got snow. As I drove into work it fizzled out below 100m and looking further west the snow line is at about 200m rising to 300m on the fells. But then again the warning probably did say 'especially over high ground'.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well I've just been on the Midlands thread and it seems they're having a snow fest there.

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Cheshire Gap Streamer setting up Giving Snow in the NW Midlands from reports on there Thread.

Typically as I type sat in work at the Airport under Blue skies.

C.S

Yes the wind is too northerly now and by the time it turns more westerly the showers will have fizzled out. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

I come from a generation that didn’t have all this nonsense thrusted upon them and yet somehow we still managed to get on with it. I understand the warnings system but there really is no need for it but then we live in a safe space sort of world these days.?

And people died..... i think its your generation that demanded the changes we now see. 

Posted
1 hour ago, The Wolf said:

Nothing here. Another non event it seems.

1 hour ago, BleakMidwinter said:

Just starting to try to snow here with very small powder coming down at a sharp angle from NW. Not settling on anything, and only intermittent but radar looks promising...

These are two post in the Midlands thread...... From non event to snow actually falling.

Both presumably in the warning zone..... Once again warnings are for a risk of a certain hazard not a guarantee. 

Showers do not equate to 100% snowfall for everyone.

Even frontal activity can vary from location to location.

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

And people died..... i think its your generation that demanded the changes we now see. 

People still die due to weather events, no amount of warnings will ever alter that fact.?

• Like 1

Posted

Any Reports from any Members in Cheshire from the Streamer that has set up

West Midlands getting a pasting apparently at work Typically.

C.S

Posted
1 minute ago, Hocus Pocus said:

People still die due to weather events, no amount of warnings will ever alter that fact.?

They do..... Hence the need o warn people of the hazards.

and its not just deaths it's slips and of other injuries. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Not possible the weather warning is a dud.

Thanks That was Helpful

C.S

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

But did your curtains dry? :nonono:

Don't know didn't check before I left will let you know later

Posted
12 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

They do..... Hence the need o warn people of the hazards.

and its not just deaths it's slips and of other injuries. 

That’s exactly what I’m referring to by dumbing down for the masses. If it’s frosty and icy outside no amount of warnings will stop people from having accidents, back in the day warnings were only issued when bad weather was imminent not that it may or may not happen.

Posted

Saturday night is looking rather windy with gales in places. The Sunday still looking good on the 6z gfs with plenty of shower activity throughout the day. The gfs says the showers will be of snow but I will be more interested to see what the aprege and euro 4 say later.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

That’s exactly what I’m referring to by dumbing down for the masses. If it’s frosty and icy outside no amount of warnings will stop people from having accidents, back in the day warnings were only issued when bad weather was imminent not that it may or may not happen.

Except when Joe B stated his journey there was no ice, but a few miles up the road there was and he had an accident that put pressure on the NHS.