Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted

I saw two daffodils in full flower in someones garden yesterday in Threlkeld in north Lakes of all places - they must have planted them whilst already in bloom - very bizarre to see, given the cold week have had.

Last report from me on the snow, well its turned to drizzly sleet now, the odd snowflake mixed in when it peps up - if it was heavier it would stay as wet snow - could still throw a surprise. However, a slow melt this afternoon, a rather drab one raw and dull. Hoping it won't be too long before I'm back in this thread talking about next snow event - and lets hope its not a snow to rain event, or just a slush 2cm fest. Feb and March can deliver the goods given the right synoptics, but the rest of Jan now looks snowless apart from highest ground. At least this Jan has been the snowiest for 5 years, indeed the winter so far has been the snowiest since 12/13 at this stage - but wasn't that difficult a task, given how dire the last 4 winters have been for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Because while I like cold and snow, I've adapted somewhat to having not much wintry weather and found a counter interest which requires mild weather. That's why I don't complain when it goes wrong ;-) 

Besides I'm not sure I could live inland.. I need to be by the coast

Posted

2 cm of snow this morning, easing off now, has filled in any gaps from snowmelt yesterday. Will have to see how mild it gets tomorrow, if the snow survives till Tuesday then It'll be a full week of snow cover. Have to say it's not been a bad cold spell for here, consistently cold with frequent light/ moderate snow showers and only slight thaws during the day.  

Posted

Precip slowly turning to rainy drizzle here as the warmer air moves in, still bitterly cold out there though in the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-7 850s showing for Friday night. Snow above 100 m if there is any precipitation. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
30 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

If anyone really want to know how poor the Wirral climate is for cold and snow.. take a look at this palm tree in Wirral (taken in November) which would rival those in the Mediterranean. Just so people have a gague of what a cold weather fan in Wirral has to put up with. 

38536988122_de54d33f84_c.jpg

They have those exact palms in Leeds city centre. In fact, I've seen a few of them dotted around suburban areas too. They are hardy to -7 I believe.

Edited by cheese

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

2 cm of snow this morning, easing off now, has filled in any gaps from snowmelt yesterday. Will have to see how mild it gets tomorrow, if the snow survives till Tuesday then It'll be a full week of snow cover. Have to say it's not been a bad cold spell for here, consistently cold with frequent light/ moderate snow showers and only slight thaws during the day.  

I think this winter has been pretty decent really up here. Generally cold, only really mild around Christmas, turned cool on Christmas Day afternoon and has been generally cold since. Big fat dinner plate flakes here now, couple of inches fresh accumulation. Shame a thaw is imminent. 

Edited by trickydicky
  • Like 1

Posted

Was hoping the rain would stay away but sadly we're in the North West and the odds of that were very slim.  Very slushy looking outside.  I'll hold my hands up now and actually welcome an easterly.  If the snow didn't make over the pens at least we'd stay cold, frosty & dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Not much footy on at the min so resorting to watching hearts vs hibs on sky, proper heavy snowfall there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
2 hours ago, Spurry said:

We've had about 1cm of lying snow , now it's stopped

IMG_6128[1].JPG

No snow left now , soon washed away..Adios Winter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Loads of snow pics in the Scottish thread now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
37 minutes ago, cheese said:

They have those exact palms in Leeds city centre. In fact, I've seen a few of them dotted around suburban areas too. They are hardy to -7 I believe.

How big are they?2010 wiped most of them out in the coastal regions of NW England except Wirral

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

How big are they?2010 wiped most of them out in the coastal regions of NW England except Wirral

Yeah I think Crosby recorded something like -15C......pretty exceptional for a coastal location, no wonder some tender plants died. 

Posted

-17.6 at Crosby.. ? .. there were large palms at Southport that were destroyed by -15C 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.86dcc62c42a1b1cb874fdfd30e2d5286.pngFreezing rain to my East.

Will in Glossop has hit a purple patch.

Posted

One of the reasons I became interested in microclimates is because of the collaboration of interest in weather and exotic plants.

2010 was fascinating here and the plants pretty much identified the pattern of the coldest night in 2010.

December 2010 delivered the coldest temperature on record here narrowly beating the previous record of -10.2C in 1981-82.

On the night of the record it was actually not as cool here as other places.. the north Wirral coast was recording temperatures between -7 and -9C whilst here was -6C ... By 2am is had risen to -3.9C and I was perplexed because elsewhere it was still around -9C. I then woke up at 6am and it was -10.6 .. eventually fell to -10.8C.

The next day I went to the lower town to have a look what damage there was to plants and discovered something very interesting. At 70-100m asl there was an inversion with really cold air.. and another inversion zone between 0-20m asl. Between 20-70m asl it didn't go that cold and also above 100m escaped the inversion.. and I realised this when I saw that a plant that would be been turned to slime in the top of the town was looking well... It would normally die at -4C. So the differences in a small space in 2010 were so staggering I was shocked. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Pouring with rain here.....lovely :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Currently up snakes pass. There’s plenty of snow on the ground. However, it’s -0.5C at 500m, and it’s pouring with freezing rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Horribly cold and wet. One of my least favourite winter weather types. Thankfully rain looks set to clear in an hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah I think Crosby recorded something like -15C......pretty exceptional for a coastal location, no wonder some tender plants died. 

Yep it was blo*dy cold! You should have seen the ice on the bay!

-17.7 I think

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1