Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Heavy snow, not sticking. Lovely though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

All surfaces covered over with a thick dusting now and snow coming down heavy. A case of enjoy it whilst it lasts as many in the Midlands now reporting rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A horrible day here now. Driving rain and wind. Bring on the double-figure temperatures, at least for a bit.

Watch out for freezing rain inland now, also the ice pellet risk will continue for a little longer in some places. Very pleased with how the morning went, and my reading of the atmosphere was proved correct. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Nothing falling out of the sky here. I'm guessing a rain shadow effect taking place here.

Edited by pip22

Posted

I’m surprised how snowy this band has been to be honest. Very often “rain preceded by snow” just doesn’t deliver here.

Still pelting it down and trying to settle on cars. Looks great. :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Like Pip said we need a big volcanic eruption to drop the global temp by a degree or two! That way a couple of doozy Winters should follow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

We've had about 1cm of lying snow , now it's stopped

IMG_6128[1].JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Belting it down! , all surfaces covered. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Couple of cm here now 

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Belting it down! , all surfaces covered. :D

Based on my recent drive through Woodley and Hyde I can certainly believe it. Even very heavy down here! Where’s NWS??! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Spurry said:

We've had about 1cm of lying snow , now it's stopped

IMG_6128[1].JPG

You've done very well there mate, had 30 mins of wet snow here and that was that. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Almost enough to build a pygmy snowman.

20180121_112254.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

That's it here until next month or two now. The model output looking dreadful atm.

Posted

Big gap approaching on the radar. Could be a god send as I do wonder how much longer before it turns to rain here.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

A horrible day here now. Driving rain and wind. Bring on the double-figure temperatures, at least for a bit.

Watch out for freezing rain inland now, also the ice pellet risk will continue for a little longer in some places. Very pleased with how the morning went, and my reading of the atmosphere was proved correct. 

Chris, purposely replied as wanted to congratulate you on your forecast of ice pellets... Started off as very light snow and I think i mentioned earlier on the thread that the snow looked 'dryer' than how wet the ground was...well i was was right because as soon as it got heavier it started to stick. I am at 180m but the hill I am on tops out at 250m, so decided to go for a walk. That 70m made a definite visable difference, when I got to the top there was that snow mist (as I call it) when you know the temps are below and everything is sticking. Went for a big walk and was sticking on roads etc and as I was coming home you could see in change and within 5 mins all that was falling was ice pellets it was pretty cool to see. Even filmed them for you, there are a few pics and  video of the ice pellets bouncing off my window too on my instagram (as always have trouble posting pics etc in here...)  Here is the link. Well done on your forecast mate, this is why I love this place.

Literally 30 mins before these pics/videos there was nothing. 

• Like 3

Posted

Ooooh the northern edge of the heavier stuff just managed to fringe into my area (Failsworth, Hathershaw, Shaw, Royton etc...) but it's hitting the buffers and now dropping south east at an alarming rate.  A decent covering, more than expected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

@captaincroc Thank you :-) I’ll be trying more forecasts like that in the future, think I’ve got the hang of it now.  Ice pelets are quite rare in the UK so the other day when I saw the potential I thought it would be interesting to watch.

It was certainly an interesting morning.

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter, heatwaves in summer :)

Snowing like mad up here and a couple inches deep already. Lovely

151653476145325873289.jpg

Posted
9 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Chris, purposely replied as wanted to congratulate you on your forecast of ice pellets... Started off as very light snow and I think i mentioned earlier on the thread that the snow looked 'dryer' than how wet the ground was...well i was was right because as soon as it got heavier it started to stick. I am at 180m but the hill I am on tops out at 250m, so decided to go for a walk. That 70m made a definite visable difference, when I got to the top there was that snow mist (as I call it) when you know the temps are below and everything is sticking. Went for a big walk and was sticking on roads etc and as I was coming home you could see in change and within 5 mins all that was falling was ice pellets it was pretty cool to see. Even filmed them for you, there are a few pics and  video of the ice pellets bouncing off my window too on my instagram (as always have trouble posting pics etc in here...)  Here is the link. Well done on your forecast mate, this is why I love this place.

Great pic! Yes, hats off to Chris for an amazingly accurate prediction!

9 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Ah, you went up to the Gresley Arms, nice pub, the view from there is fantastic on a clear day.