Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yep it was a longer cold spell in 63 despite less cold uppers. Jan 87 was short but the cold intense whilst it was here, proper Siberian air.

Yes 1987 was the only time my school ever closed because the heating system froze. We went sledging and you went straight over the fence and across the road in the deep snow. My mother talks about ‘63 and bitter cold and deep snow and the roads from Alderley Edge to Macclesfield being blocked and the Coop still delivered the weekly groceries. Was just hard work pushing the pram in the snow. My father was a market gardener in 1947 and they lit fires in the fields to thaw the soil so they could harvest vegetables.

Edited by Wardlegacy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

This winter?

That would go for any winter.

Last year, year b4 last, year b4 that.... we’ve had at least one six inch + snowfall..... I’m guessing there is still a month within this for it yet to happen.... I completely gave up on this past week after last week through frustration but we got a measly 2-5cm... the cold gets in but either after or before precipitation has departed for anything more meaningful... I’ll give up and look forward to summer if nothing materialises in the next month..... by summer we will probably have northern blocking and 12-15c....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine
24 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Last year, year b4 last, year b4 that.... we’ve had at least one six inch + snowfall..... I’m guessing there is still a month within this for it yet to happen.... I completely gave up on this past week after last week through frustration but we got a measly 2-5cm... the cold gets in but either after or before precipitation has departed for anything more meaningful... I’ll give up and look forward to summer if nothing materialises in the next month..... by summer we will probably have northern blocking and 12-15c....

Dont give up. The unexpected can really happen. 

Screenshot_20180209-202409.thumb.jpg.d8bf049a044ebbb89d80fe640a6934a6.jpg