Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
22 minutes ago, karyo said:

Another pointless snow warning! I just woke up t wet surfaces.

Will have to wait for Sunday now and hope for the best.

BBC weather talked about rain for England and Wales on Sat and Sun,  I was only half listening but i dont think they mentioned snow at all.

Posted
6 minutes ago, chris78 said:

BBC weather talked about rain for England and Wales on Sat and Sun,  I was only half listening but i dont think they mentioned snow at all.

Last night's national  forecast for Sunday said snow showers. I can't see what changed overnight.

Posted

weather station showing 0c but only the tops are covered..  We had a sleety shower about 1 hour ago that must have fallen as snow up there we are 1000ft and they are between 1200 and 1400 ft.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

The frequency of alerts/warnings needs to be addressed as there are to many that turn out incorrect and just too many for things that shouldn't need a warning.. like a dusting of snow.

22 minutes ago, karyo said:

I couldn't agree more! The public will stop taking notice when there is a warning every other day for nothing.

Couldn't agree more, people are taking less and less notice of them (apart from us snow nuts) then when a real event turns up a lot more people are going to get caught out! The boy who cried Wolf and all that. :nonono:

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

weather station showing 0c but only the tops are covered..  We had a sleety shower about 1 hour ago that must have fallen as snow up there we are 1000ft and they are between 1200 and 1400 ft.

That says it all then, a sleety shower at 1000ft. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
34 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

The frequency of alerts/warnings needs to be addressed as there are to many that turn out incorrect and just too many for things that shouldn't need a warning.. like a dusting of snow.

I've taken Meto app off my phone, I got sick of the warnings for gales/snow/heavy rain etc that never happened

just rain here and 3c

Posted
5 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Couldn't agree more, people are taking less and less notice of them (apart from us snow nuts) then when a real event turns up a lot more people are going to get caught out! The boy who cried Wolf and all that. :nonono:

But most of the recent warnings are be aware yellow warning, its only us snow nuts that read that as a promise of snow, for instance todays warning states a medium likelyhood, so when people say they got it wrong, they didnt.     When they go orange and red and still nothing happens maybe they have a case to answer, but its not their fault if people expect an event that they have said only has a medium chance of occurring.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheshire cat said:

Another mess/lash up of a forecast by the beeb local

euro4 showed nothing did it? 

That's right! Sunday will come into view on the euro 4 later so let's see if it will be a bit more interested on that event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Snow has settled at higher elevation here...Hope mountain (330m asl) is white but nothing at lower levels. What was the point of the warning? I get the sense sometimes that the Met Office throws them around like sweets as nothing more than a back covering exercise.

Its little wonder that more and more people are paying less heed to them.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

The same people once again making the same complaints about weather warnings.

Warning are not guarantees of snow in your backyard, over night something changed, clearly the temps didn't drop away as expected, but there wasa risk of snow and ice hence the warning.

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I honestly dont know how i got all them snowy setups in my younger days, this part of the UK is utterly garbage- even North westerlies are bobbins for me and thee.

If Carol Kirkwood is right about sunday i think im close to giving up on this winter.

You've just forgotten about all those times it didn't snow, and believe me there are lots of them

Posted
14 minutes ago, chris78 said:

But most of the recent warnings are be aware yellow warning, its only us snow nuts that read that as a promise of snow, for instance todays warning states a medium likelyhood, so when people say they got it wrong, they didnt.     When they go orange and red and still nothing happens maybe they have a case to answer, but its not their fault if people expect an event that they have said only has a medium chance of occurring.

Indeed ad if anyone wants to look at the warning Matrix its only in the 2nd category of likely to happen.  

Posted

Well the national forecast for Sunday still looks good for the South of the region especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Woke up at half 6 to puddles and still have puddles lol, not taking notice of met office warnings anymore, seems any covering of snow go unforecast a lot if the time! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Indeed ad if anyone wants to look at the warning Matrix its only in the 2nd category of likely to happen.  

The whole warning system is designed for the modern day “I want it now generation”,totally useless and a backward step compared to yesteryear. I’m in my late 50s and the standard of forecasting has definitely been dumbed down for the masses to the point that I don’t bother to watch or read them anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

The same people once again making the same complaints about weather warnings.

Warning are not guarantees of snow in your backyard, over night something changed, clearly the temps didn't drop away as expected, but there wasa risk of snow and ice hence the warning.

No but what happens when people are fed too many warnings for thing that have always been trivial.. then a big event comes and public complacency sets in.. because they'll say.. not another one.. nothing happened last time so we'll just ignore it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Well the national forecast for Sunday still looks good for the South of the region especially.

Today looked very good a few days ago.. now it's a bust. I have no faith in Sunday delivering whatsoever.

Posted
Just now, SP1986 said:

No but what happens when people are fed too many warnings for thing that have always been trivial.. then a big event comes and public complacency sets in.. because they'll say.. not another one.. nothing happened last time so we'll just ignore it. 

When something big comes along the warning will not be yellow and the news will lead with it.

Do you think anyone reads those things anyway, away from forums like these and maybe hobbyist like fell walkers and other outdoor activities? 

Posted
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

Today looked very good a few days ago.. now it's a bust. I have no faith in Sunday delivering whatsoever.

You've been on weather forums long enougth to know that things can change, so why the surprise. Pretty sure you downplayed today anyway.

Posted
26 minutes ago, karyo said:

That's right! Sunday will come into view on the euro 4 later so let's see if it will be a bit more interested on that event.

Not too ar$ed about the warnings or not, but I am interested to see which short term model called it right and thats what I'll use when we're in the 48hrs range, looks to me the precip passed through the NW and the cold uppers caught up with it in Wales if its snowing there. 

Posted
57 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Are you sure? Still looked and sounded like snow showers on Sunday to me.

Posted
2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

You've been on weather forums long enougth to know that things can change, so why the surprise. Pretty sure you downplayed today anyway.

I'm not talking about me.. I'm talking about the general wider public who are already very sceptical of weather forecasting. How many people do you hear say "they can't forecast the weather for tomorrow never mind a week" . The public attitude to weather forecasting is already one of little faith. This doesn't help.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, SP1986 said:

I'm not talking about me.. I'm talking about the general wider public who are already very sceptical of weather forecasting. How many people do you hear say "they can't forecast the weather for tomorrow never mind a week" . The public attitude to weather forecasting is already one of little faith. This doesn't help.

How many people talk about yellow warnings?  

The warning are not only for the public but for local authorities etc