Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted

I've known heavy convective showers from an easterly very much lose their intensity and virtually evaporate over the Pennine tops to deliver nothing this side of them.  Yet these very light showers appear to be skipping over them quite fluidly.  Shame they are only bringing light snow grains with them.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted

2c. Abit gutted. I was looking forward to a nice walk this morning in the frost so my dogs wouldn't get muddy again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Has anyone noticed there seems to be an increase in radar returns across NE England?

Could be a few light snow flurries today?

Yeah, noticed that. Looks like we have had a very light dusting of snow grains overnight and maybe a few more flurries on the way.

Posted
4 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

I've known heavy convective showers from an easterly very much lose their intensity and virtually evaporate over the Pennine tops to deliver nothing this side of them.  Yet these very light showers appear to be skipping over them quite fluidly.  Shame they are only bringing light snow grains with them.

Yup, the dews are always low, and we usually do plenty well round our locale Dodge, the pennines are not an issue when the winds are east/north east.

• Like 1

Posted

Lightest of snow flurries here atm.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Flakes of snow falling from time to time

remarkable really Kevin, pressure is high and the wind is not exactly fierce!!

Just shows how given the right setup snow showers and low dews are great for our area, maybe we will see a true convective easterly before winter ends, looking at the EC mean later on you can see the blocking to the NE helping force that jet into Europe, if the SSW does what we want and destroys the PV we might get lucky.

WRT tomorrow, looks very much like the front will pass through prior to dinner meaning temps will still be sub zero, i think most of us will get a dusting tomorrow ..

• Like 1

Posted

Metoffice is still showing  return to 7c temps from Thursday onwards. That wouldn’t make this a long term cold spell?

Posted
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

Metoffice is still showing  return to 7c temps from Thursday onwards. That wouldn’t make this a long term cold spell?

Nature of the beast, going to be alternating PM/TM over the next 10 days or so if ECM is correct,north westerlies should be packing more of a punch now we are into Feb so i wouldn't be suprised if we saw some snow - hoping this SSW helps us, although the EC mean looks quite PM influenced still no signs of the PV wanting to leave its home,probably out of model time frame just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Lightest of dustings this morning on the car and a bit on the paving slabs, hopefully we can get the real deal before the month is out with a proper convective easterly. 

Posted

Shame this isn’t proper snow just single flakes and grains falling but we have a pretty dusting and more to come looking at the radar

Edited by shadowfax

Posted

metoffice overnight says -

Tonight:

Snow for northern and central parts, by dawn, with accumulations to low levels. Heavy, wintry showers in northwest . Dry, frosty in the south with a few freezing fog patches.

Sounds good to me..

• Like 2

Posted

Love the fact my weather apps say it's currently 0c and clear skies when in fact it's 1c and lightly snowing :D

Posted

GFSP08EU00_90_1.png

We need Ensemble member 8 from this morning to win through for Friday,

Tuesday looking like a blink and you'll miss it event with, Anywhere west of Manchester will have snow for maybe an hour or so further east probably a little longer but it's not sticking around unless you live high up.

Posted
4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

GFSP08EU00_90_1.png

We need Ensemble member 8 from this morning to win through for Friday,

Tuesday looking like a blink and you'll miss it event with, Anywhere west of Manchester will have snow for maybe an hour or so further east probably a little longer but it's not sticking around unless you live high up.

Not sure about tomorrow- you'll probably get a couple of cm up there- depends how much is left in the system by the time it reaches us..

I do agree about the altitude being a factor tho, as it always does.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well would you belive it snow flurries here at 20m ASL

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Well would you belive it snow flurries here at 20m ASL

C.S

NIce one CS :)

Just shows even with pressure so high flurries can make it to you.

Lets hope we get a covering tomorrow,i think we will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well my weather station here in Sale South Manchestr says 1.9c and -0.8c dew with 83% humidity.. anything falling cannot be rain at this dp :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Very light snow here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
5 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

Well my weather station here in Sale South Manchestr says 1.9c and -0.8c dew with 83% humidity.. anything falling cannot be rain at this dp :)

Unless all lower levels of the atmosphere are above 0C in which case it'll be freezing rain. But given the atmosphere is cold at the moment yes it would be bizarre if it was anything other than snow. 

Posted

Temps look to be zero or below early tomorrow. Dew points forecast to be well below zero and uppers of around -10c. All this according to GFS. I'm assuming based on these conditions that the precipitation will be snow and should settle with ease. The only issue is if it makes it before fizzling out and how much intensity is left. I'm thinking around a centimetre or two possible.