Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Wintry scene at the top of the Holmfirth Road a couple of hours ago. Snow was coming down steadily.

IMG_20180203_121326117_BURST001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It doesn't even feel cold outside. I can't wait for the easterly flow to bring the cold uppers and get some frosts from tomorrow night.

Spring sucks and summer too, the more they get delayed the better. lol

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Not snowing here , never has never will ,  like I'm going to get excited about a couple of cm anyway :rofl:

That's exactly what your wife said didn't she:oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, karyo said:

It doesn't even feel cold outside. I can't wait for the easterly flow to bring the cold uppers and get some frosts from tomorrow night.

Spring sucks and summer too, the more they get delayed the better. lol

Hopefully we'll get a nice cold spring like 2013. Just the summer was a bit too warm for my liking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Cold I don't mind but it must be dry .....................?

Blizzards all year round for me :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Cold Winter ,Warm Spring,Hot Summer & Sunny/foggy Autumn for me...sadly here in Wigan we get none of them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & sunshine
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Wintry scene at the top of the Holmfirth Road a couple of hours ago. Snow was coming down steadily.

IMG_20180203_121326117_BURST001.jpg

Was up there myself today on opposite site near Marsden the hills were cover and snowing steadily too20180203_133231.thumb.jpg.282454a66de8d330903a1d8d29aca27f.jpg20180203_133231.thumb.jpg.282454a66de8d330903a1d8d29aca27f.jpg

20180203_133224.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

12z Arpege completely kills the front on Tuesday before it even reaches Manchester.

12z GFS however is far better with a few hours of snow with temps around freezing. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

12z Arpege completely kills the front on Tuesday before it even reaches Manchester.

12z GFS however is far better with a few hours of snow with temps around freezing. 

Yes, the Aprege is a concern. The 6z was also doing the same.

But the 12z gfs has lower pressure than the 6z and the front is a bit more lively as a result. 

Posted

Temp has been a steady 4.2-4.4c all afternoon. Only this last hour, it’s dropped to 3.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It’s all se bias bias bias in the mad thread this evening, but I don’t need them to tell me that whatever happens we have an interesting period coming up. Even after this weekend it’s not over as GFS is still showing pm cold shots beyond then with -8/-9/-10 850a and most important of all; fairly slack winds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

It’s all se bias bias bias in the mad thread this evening, but I don’t need them to tell me that whatever happens we have an interesting period coming up. Even after this weekend it’s not over as GFS is still showing pm cold shots beyond then with -8/-9/-10 850a and most important of all; fairly slack winds.

If we must have another pm cold shot, then I would hope it has more going for it than it's worse than pathetic and overhyped predecessor. The MAD thread is a basket case full of SE fruit loops.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

The snow-line has been above 360m today in this part of the Peak District although higher parts of Buxton (Roaches, Cat and Fiddle, Flash, etc) have had snowfall all afternoon. Apparently it snowed early in the morning but I was well fast asleep up until 10am.

• Like 1

Posted

Guys, any idea if there is snow on the ground around Kinder area?

Some friends are going there for a hike but I will only go if there is snow. lol

Posted
12 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Yep. If snow is not forecast down there the models are crap. Those in the NW of the uk could do very well in the next two weeks. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Snow would be entirely welcome.. there hasn't been a huge amount of variation in the weather recently.. apart from the very loud thunder a few nights back. 

So it would pleasing to see one of these fronts give us something to smile about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
31 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

If we must have another pm cold shot, then I would hope it has more going for it than it's worse than pathetic and overhyped predecessor. The MAD thread is a basket case full of SE fruit loops.

Well the last few pretend cold shots didn’t have such cold 850s so I would expect much more from these. And yes lol

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
18 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

The snow-line has been above 360m today in this part of the Peak District although higher parts of Buxton (Roaches, Cat and Fiddle, Flash, etc) have had snowfall all afternoon. Apparently it snowed early in the morning but I was well fast asleep up until 10am.

Snowline was significantly lower in the Northern Peak District. Sleet and wet snow was falling down to at least 150m but no settling. Snow was settling above approximately 250m, noted as soon as I started ascending up from Dovestones Reservoir.

• Like 2

Posted

Wind has gone off-shore now until Tuesday morning. Temp is plummeting as a result. Got a feeling temperatures are being overestimated in the next few days around here.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
6 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Well the last few pretend cold shots didn’t have such cold 850s so I would expect much more from them. And yes lol

If you meant my post, I do have to defend myself on the basis that weve had some fairly cold incursions this winter and well Ive only had one bout of snow, and another of sleety rain that turned to rain.. if I recall the first one has uppers of -8C but was from that slider (offshore breeze) and the second was kind of similar of the cold air was displaced very quickly. 

That said the last time I saw a scenario similar to this week was in March 2013 which was lucrative here.. so I good omen I suppose.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Wind has gone off-shore now until Tuesday morning. Temp is plummeting as a result. Got a feeling temperatures are being overestimated in the next few days around here.  

I think the cloud will be slow to clear tonight so probably frost free for most of us. Tomorrow night and Monday night though should be proper frosty.