Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

To be fair to Dianne.. I don't have a problem with her because not everyone who watches the TV has an interest in cold and snow. In fact those that are - are probably in the minority. I understand that some like snow as well but most of the people don't want snow because it inconveniences them. So the hatred of Dianne on here is simply because she doesn't snow ramp essentially. 

I also don't think that Dianne is a mild ramper.. this is I think just a rebuke from those who think she should get excited about snow and cold.

Afterall presenters that snow ramp should surely be held in contempt too since their job is to report on the weather forecast, not to adhere to people's (or their own) wishes and hopes. 

So a presenter who forecasts the weather and warns or reassures people of potential problems is doing their job.

Snow and wintry weather is great and I love it too when it falls into place but I'd prefer weather presenters and forecasters do their job rather than ramp.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

To be fair to Dianne.. I don't have a problem with her because not everyone who watches the TV has an interest in cold and snow. In fact those that are - are probably in the minority. I understand that some like snow as well but most of the people don't want snow because it inconveniences them. So the hatred of Dianne on here is simply because she doesn't snow ramp essentially. 

I also don't think that Dianne is a mild ramper.. this is I think just a rebuke from those who think she should get excited about snow and cold.

Afterall presenters that snow ramp should surely be held in contempt too since their job is to report on the weather forecast, not to adhere to people's wishes and hopes. 

So a presenter who forecasts the weather and warns or reassures people of potential problems is doing their job.

Snow and wintry weather is great but I'd prefer weather presenters and forecasters do their job rather than ramp.

I would agree if she could moderate her language a bit but in reality she goes the extra mile in her forecasts to show how much she dislikes snow and even frost. A professional forecaster should use a more neutral language.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
1 minute ago, karyo said:

I would agree if she could moderate her language a bit but in reality she goes the extra mile in her forecasts to show how much she dislikes snow and even frost. A professional forecaster should use a more neutral language.  

I've watched her many times and I don't get that sense.. I think she would like wintry weather and snow but she is presenting to an audience that she probably assumes won't be excited by snow. I genuinely think that off screen she actually enjoys wintry weather

Posted

Recent Metoffice warning for Monday night and Tuesday seems to go for the fizzling out of the front, with SE areas of the region not in the warning. I’m just in it, so south and east of the M56 seems to be excluded. 1-3cm forecast.

Posted

A drab dank raw sort of morning - not very inspiring, we really need sunshine at the weekend by this stage in the season - 3 months of gloom and early dusks takes its toll by now on many.

Alas tomorrow promises some sunny bright conditions.

We've had light rain all morning - the fine stuff, it did pep up a little and there were some snowflakes mixed in. Not sure what height the rain/snow conversion is- won't know until tomorrow, because the cloud is so low, but I suspect around the 350 metre mark. 

Next week will see freezing levels hover around the 300-500 m mark for much of the time, fine margins who may see snow at lower levels are who won't Current Tuesday looks a good betting for widespread snow, perhaps couple of inches here. Later next week every chance of more snow, frontal systems will have more oomph to them, more evaporative cooling and an injection of further very cold air from the NW, unusually cold really..

Posted
10 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Recent Metoffice warning for Monday night and Tuesday seems to go for the fizzling out of the front, with SE areas of the region not in the warning. I’m just in it, so south and east of the M56 seems to be excluded. 1-3cm forecast.

Yes and the updated Aprege shows a much weaker front than the earlier run. The ICON still shows the band crossing our region but breaking up after that.

Posted

Been snowing most of the morning here in Queensbury about 2 inches on the ground but a bit slushy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, karyo said:

She has never been the same since she apparently got snowballed in the winter of 1995. I was living in Manchester at the time and heard a lot of talk from lads I knew who told me (whilst almost choking with laughter) that she got pelted. Curiously since then, she has been very much anti-snow.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted

Been snowing here for hours but I’m just too low for it to settle plenty about 100ft higher up. Weather station and car showing 0oc

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Lol, is the 3rd of February "to be fair" day?:laugh:

??? Well spotted to be fair ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
24 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

She has never been the same since she apparently got snowballed in the winter of 1995. I was living in Manchester at the time and heard a lot of talk from lads I knew who told me (whilst almost choking with laughter) that she got pelted. Curiously since then, she has been very much anti-snow.

Anyone up for a trip too Manchester Tuesday Evening:D

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well I’m expecting a few CMs on Monday night. Doesn’t look marginal to me and should be below freezing when the precipitation arrives. That will do me. 

6.0°C currently as wind is  on-shore, but thankfully not for long. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
54 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

Been snowing here for hours but I’m just too low for it to settle plenty about 100ft higher up. Weather station and car showing 0oc

Nevermind, onto tomorrow for your next chance, then Tuesday,  then Wednesday, then Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, you get the idea... :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Raining  here

Snowing here...

AS IF!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

My thoughts are turning towards Spring now. Truth be told, I've had enough of this winter. First 10 days of December aside when we had 2 really good snowfalls, the season has stunk the place out. Too much rain, the epic fail PM shot which was oh so hyped in advance..yada yada -10 uppers from the Atlantic...which delivered a thin watery layer of slush followed by yet more cold rain.

Now it looks like another much hyped cold spell is dying on its Arsenal before it even started.

Bring on Spring and some dry weather please.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
25 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

My thoughts are turning towards Spring now. Truth be told, I've had enough of this winter. First 10 days of December aside when we had 2 really good snowfalls, the season has stunk the place out. Too much rain, the epic fail PM shot which was oh so hyped in advance..yada yada -10 uppers from the Atlantic...which delivered a thin watery layer of slush followed by yet more cold rain.

Now it looks like another much hyped cold spell is dying on its Arsenal before it even started.

Bring on Spring and some dry weather please.

I'm looking for some spring too, though I have an inkling we're heading towards one of those cold early spring into a wet, cool early summer combos.